Occassional throwing-up

gar-dog

Occassional throwing-up

Post by gar-dog » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:42 pm

My 6 month-old Brittany probably throws up once or twice a week. She doesn't appear sick. To our knowledge, all she eats is dog food (never table food) and some treats. Is this normal?
Thanks,
Gary

birddogdoc

Post by birddogdoc » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:51 pm

Gary,

I see that very often in my practice. You may want to check your pup for worms...Stomach, round, whip and tapes...I usually deworm them with panacur once daily for 3 consecutive days. If the vomiting continues, the next thing I'd do is try a diet change...Iams Low Residue/Intestinal diet cures 90 % of these dogs! You can also try pepcid a/c one tab per day 1 hour prior to sleep! Hope that helps, Shawn

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:42 pm

Like the above guy said could be worms but could also be food. If you have a dog with a finicky stomach that could be the only problem. One of my dogs was throwing up a lot so we switched her food and it has mostly stopped.

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:24 pm

my brit had this problem for nearly a year, had her checked out for everything with nothing found. it happened mostly after she was drinking. turns out it was excitement. after spending some time with the trainer she calmed down a lot, she also matured a great deal while she was there. at only 6 months old i would just give it some time.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:10 pm

Thanks for the remarks... I will monitor her and try some of the methods.
Gary

Lab Man

Post by Lab Man » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:15 am

Does your dog eat its food very fast? Does it take very big bites of its food?

sambuca

Post by sambuca » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:35 pm

Our 7 month Brittany does the same. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it except that its most common in the middle of the night. I suspect it happens when he has eaten something nasty in the field or on one of his walks. A number of people including my vet said it is not uncommon for puppies to vomit once in a while so I dont worry too much. After he pukes he'll act listless until I take him out for a walk. The distractions usually take his mind off of his nausea and he's back to normal.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:45 am

Yeah, no pattern here either. In fact, it hasn't happened since I wrote the original post. I will just keep watching her - maybe there is nothing to it.