kennel roofing?

TheShadow

kennel roofing?

Post by TheShadow » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:15 pm

just wondering if any of you guys have any good ideas to support a "flat" roof for a 5x10 kennel. The "amatuer" job I did blew away today. the winds were so strong i guess the screws did not hold and 1/2 the roofing went bye bye. I used corraged plastic. I see you can buy frames like this one:

http://www.optionspluskennels.com/hardroof.htm

but i'm not looking to spend that kind of money. I think I can probably whip something up instead...

MikeB

Kennel Roofing

Post by MikeB » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:51 pm

I am a firm believer that ... Money spent for the proper roof the first time prevents spending more money the second time.

I used heavy duty self tapping screws into a pipe frame with corrageded metal roofing and raised one side for drainage.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:38 pm

ditto that on money spent... I have put of many aluminum shade cloth frames, grading from cheap to most expensive and they have all blown off in varring stages. I have spent enough to frame in a pole barn for the whole thing and am again whithout a room. 2 weeks ago a big windstorm blew the whole thing off breaking the bolts and bending the aluminum frame and all and that is the last straw that it took me to learn. I am looking for a builder to come and set 4x4's and build it right...

I have tried all the pre fab kennel roofs and all have lasted less than a year. Some only months... It is very windy here, but snow and rain and ice builds up on the roofs too, and they just don't hold up well...

splucinski

Post by splucinski » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:54 pm

My kennel is in panels. It is 6x12. I use an extra kennel pannel for the roof. It clamps to the outer walls and then I cover it with a tarp which I fasten with zip ties. It's not the greatest solution, but we had 18 inches of snow in 2 days a couple of weeks ago and it held up fine.

MARKNE

Post by MARKNE » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:19 pm

MY KENNEL IS ALSO 6 X12.

I MADE AN ARCHED COVER FOR MY KENNEL 10YRS AGO AND IT STILL LOOKS NEW.

I MADE A I-BEAM OUT OF WOOD THAT GOES DOWN THE MIDDLE OF THE KENNEL. A 2X4 ON THE TOP AND BOTTOM,AND A 2X4 IN THE MIDDLE.

DRILLED HOLES THRU THE 2X6 I-BEAM AND WIRE TIED IT TO THE TOP RAIL ON THE FRONT AND BACK PANELS.

THEN USED A 2X4 ALONG THE 6X12 PANELS AND WIRE TIED IT THE SAME WAY,DRILLING HOLES AND WIRING IT TO THE TOP RAIL.

I THEN USED 3-4' X 8' CORRUGATED PANEL,ARCHING THEM SLIGHTLY OVER THE WOODEN I-BEAM,SCREWING THEM TO THE I-BEAM AND OUTSIDE 2X4'S.

ONE LAST THING, I DID ANCHOR MY KENNEL TO THE GROUND,I DROVE 4' LONG TEE STAKES INTO THE GROUND ON THE 4 CORNERS , I THEN WIRE TIED IT TO THE BOTTOM RAIL. I DID IT FOR THE WIND,ITS WORKED GREAT FOR THE WIND AND SNOW IN NEBRASKA.

phillipsgsp

Post by phillipsgsp » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:07 am

I use a 2x4 frame work out of treated lumber. Then I use self tapping sheet metal screws and put on galvanised tin roofing/sheeting. I like the wood frame (which is wired to the kennel panel tubing) because I was able to run conduit and put elct. outlets above every 6x12 run. Works great for water bucket heaters, and fans. I have 6 6x12 runs and have had no wind problems in 6 years, and I get plenty of 50mph blasts from the open 160 acres across the road from my house. My kennel panels are raised 2" above the concrete using the brackets that join the panels together and are screwed down to the concrete using the blue tapcon lag style screw.

Chad
"GET THE POINT" http://www.phillipsgundogs.com Family and Shorthairs, it don't get any better than that!
Phillips' Tiptoe'n Tucker MH
Phillips' Lucy in Diguise SH

TheShadow

Post by TheShadow » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:11 am

thanks for the comments. we normally do not have wind storms here. but the winter did it in for the roof (snow and ice) and it was a poor design (no support in the middle).

What I did last night was take that link I posted above to Home Depot and talked to this guy that worked there... he actually showed me all the parts and said this place just "packaged" the parts and is making a huge profit off of it. The parts for a 5x10 kennel cost about $60. Maybe a bit more depending on the PVC panels. I have a bunch of the PVC panels from last year. He's not sure about the way the guy has the "connector straps" attached to the PVC panels and actually had a better idea to secure them.

But some of your ideas sound better than this. I was just surprised that these parts were readily available at Home Depot.

thanks again

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:11 am

I like all the ideas on here could you post some pics, I need to revamp my kennel roof some and am looking at a few different ways to do it. I am actually wanting to put a free standing framed roof over the kennel panels, if you can picture a leanto with a slanted roof.
Chip 8)

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:40 am

The Behel kennels called magnum can have a roof purchased for them same as the side panels. Very heavy duty. Dogs cannot get out of them but they do costa bit more.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

LookoutDog

Post by LookoutDog » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:20 pm

I use welded wire panels from Tractor Supply for my kennel runs. They are 6' high. I lay heavy gauge hog panels from Tractor supply over the top and secure with those metal hose clamps to the kennel panels. I then lay corrugated PVC panels (from Lowes) on top of the hog panels and secure them by punching small holes along the edge to get cable ties through. Water runs off because of the slope of concrete pad. Seems to be working well so far. I'll include a photo if anyone would like to see it.

I don't think I could have used the PVC panels when I lived in Nebraska as it was very windy there and don't know if it would have held up. Also, don't know how much snow they could have supported. In Nebraska, I didn't use a roof in the winter time. Just had the hog panels covering the top and would lay the black sunscreen mesh over the top when the weather got warm.

smackerquacker

Post by smackerquacker » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:24 pm

I built my framework out of 2x4s and attached them to the top pipe on the kennel with the same strap that you use to attach the chainlink to a tensioning strap and a lag bolt into the 2x4. Then I used the colored tin like a Morton or Astro or Cleary building uses, but I got mine at Menards. It is going on 10 yrs old and has withstood some 70 plus winds. Just make sure you anchor down the kennel.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:04 pm

lay heavy gauge hog panels
Saw a kennel set up using the hog panels up on legs and a dog house on the back. used the smaller size panels for the floor and put the composite decking over this in a area for the dogs to rest. I may build a few for my own use. Easy to make up and then they can be transported. Dont have permission to say who has em :) maybe I can snap a pic next time I am out that way
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935