North Dakota

NDBDHunter

North Dakota

Post by NDBDHunter » Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:20 pm

Hello,
I'm new to this site so forgive any transgressions. I live in ND and have 2 Gordons. I've read a few of the postings and noticed that there's a few of you that have Gordons too. I was wondering if there's anyone else on this site from North Dakota? I'm interested in starting a dog club and am in search of like minded people. I also would be interested in a hunt swap. There's lots of Sharptails around here.

gundogguru

Post by gundogguru » Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:24 pm

NDBDHunter Welcome. What part of NODAK are you from? I hunt around Woodworth every year. I love it up there. We come mostly for the ducks but I always bring my GWP to hunt sharptail and Huns.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:26 pm

Welcome ND. We went up last yr Sharptail hunting and in all likelihood will go back this yr. I`d swap with you but would not be fair! (no birds here but turkeys!) Lots of deer......What area are you in?
brenda

NDBDHunter

Post by NDBDHunter » Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:49 pm

Thanks,
I live in Eastern ND, 40 miles west of Grand Forks. More specifically Northwood, ND. It's generally not known for it's upland bird hunting around here. There's more birds to the west. There's lots of Ducks and geese, no doubts there. However, if you spend the time and do your scouting you have a reasonable chance of points on Pheasant, Sharptails and Huns in the same field within 15 miles of here. I've lived here since 91 and it IS a Bird Hunters paradise, until it snows anyway.

doublea

Post by doublea » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:23 am

NDBDHunter,

Welcome aboard! If you ever get up into the Williston country, look me up!

gundogguru

Post by gundogguru » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:00 am

doublea How far are you from Carrington? I hunt about 18 miles south of there.

doublea

Post by doublea » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:04 pm

Other side of the state. I am in the extreme North West corner...19 miles from Montana and 70 miles from Canada! If you ever make it over here to hunt I would be glad to show you around.

gundogguru

Post by gundogguru » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:36 pm

Thanks doublea you never know where I'll show up. I really do love it up there. I just don't think I could live thru one of ya'lls winters. Blood is why to thin. :D

doublea

Post by doublea » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:41 pm

Yeah it does take some getting used to. So long as you stay close to the igloo you'll be ok though! :D

Funny thing bout living in the Great White North...First ting you find out is 99% of the kids are born July through Sept. Kinda tells you what goes on up here in the winter time don't it!!! :shock:

gundogguru

Post by gundogguru » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:43 pm

Well you can only hunt for so long. What else do you have to do after dark.

NDBDHunter

Post by NDBDHunter » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:40 am

If that's all there is to do in the winter is "In Door" sports than what would be so difficult to get use to? :wink:

You just make do with what mother nature throws at you. I took up a sport called Skijoring, it's a combination X-country skiing, and Dogsledding. It's a good workout for all of us.

Fieldwalker

Re: North Dakota

Post by Fieldwalker » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:06 am

Knowing general forum etiquette... and breaking the cardinal sin of having a first post involve asking a question, I promise to post a formal introductory thread tonight.

Quick question (since I see I can't PM the original person who started the topic). We are making our annual trip to ND (Michigander) - and have access to a few thousand acres in Northwood. Should we put this town on our way... or keep on moving West to our final destination.

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:24 pm

Welcome, ND. I'll be going thru your area on the way to Glenburn, hopefully a few times in Oct. You are more than welcome to join me in N. Wis for a grouse hunt if you so desire!

Bberry20

Post by Bberry20 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:44 pm

Welcome to the forum.... always glad to see another Nort' Dakotan. If you make it out to the west side let me know and we can run the gordons on some birds with my shorthairs.

dan v

Post by dan v » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:45 pm

Welcome...did you know of Tom Loy, he breeds Gordons under the Tallgrass kennel name. He lived near Grand Forks for a while, worked at the AFB. Then he moved out to Idaho.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:00 pm

NDBDHunter,
I use to live in Northwood from oh about 1995 to 2005. You're right there are plenty of sharptails just west of Northwood. There's another board member that goes by the name of Springer. He lives in Grand Forks and has one of my Gordons. I'll see if I can get him to respond. Where did you get your dogs from?

Tom Loy