Brittnays will be my first pointing breed.

SouthDakotaBound

Brittnays will be my first pointing breed.

Post by SouthDakotaBound » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:13 pm

Not going to get one until a year or two, because of the chessie im getting will work with her, but I would like a smaller/meduim size dog. I believe my pointing dog will be a Brittnay. I like the way they look, and from what people say on here and other places they have great noses, and their drive is unbelieveable.

Going to probably get a female.

Also is their any breeders out there that has exceptional sire and dam, that produces excellent pups. Just keeping my options open. Might hit a field trial if I can.

I know I will hit up Twin Cedar Kennels.

Thanks
Last edited by SouthDakotaBound on Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

Breton13

Post by Breton13 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:20 pm

And they're GREAT familyd dogs. Turbo-charged, but great..... (pssst, don't call it a spaniel though.... might get you in trouble :wink: )
Fay P.
Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.
Penny's Pedigree
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=270

Brushbustin Sporting Dogs

Post by Brushbustin Sporting Dogs » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:32 am

They dropped the Spaniel in 1982.
[/u]
Robert Myers

Rajin Kennel

308-870-3448

Brittanys are Best enough said...

BBD's Ca-Ching
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1061

Brushbustin's Ebbie SH
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=678

BNJ's Dirty Dozen Dixie
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=869

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:40 am

Slow down. That poor Chessie pup hasn't even been conceived, much less trained, yet, and you're already shopping for something new?

Better to put some years between them, so one is well finished before you start another - and so you don't find yourself down the road with two old, retired dogs and needing a third to hunt.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:00 am

Asking people what the good lines are is like asking which is better, a Ford or a Chevy. Few people think they don't have the best lines and fewer still understand the lines well enough to describe the difference. I was really impressed a while back when High Cotton did a post on the Lewellyn strains. I wonder how many other dog people are that knowledgeable in the different strains of their breed? Other than extremes in the strains, I question weather it really matters sometimes. The most important part is finding pups from dogs that are hunted. If trialing is your bag, then look only to trial dogs. But when you do, remember that most field dogs are laced with trial dogs of one strain or another and the guy promoting his pups will normally have the best there is!

There are not a few proven lines of any breed, there are a lot of them. Now some lines display different characteristics but they don't always show up in the pups, but often.

BTW, Rick makes a great point.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:11 am

Hope you're already a heck of a trainer. What's that old saying about amateurs? "A man with one dog can have a great hunting companion. A man with a poorly trained brace has no dog at all." ...or something to that effect ....

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:23 am

Spend the $30 a year and join the American Brittany Club. With your memebership you'll get a monthly magazine that reports on all the regional brittany club events nationwide. You'll get an idea of what's out there and who's winning in all the different venues.

http://clubs.akc.org/brit/

It's a great starting point.

SouthDakotaBound

Post by SouthDakotaBound » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:57 am

Rick Hall wrote:Slow down. That poor Chessie pup hasn't even been conceived, much less trained, yet, and you're already shopping for something new?

Better to put some years between them, so one is well finished before you start another - and so you don't find yourself down the road with two old, retired dogs and needing a third to hunt.
Yeah Rick, your right I always get ahead of myself.

Streenie79

Post by Streenie79 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:07 am

I think you're on the right track by picking the Brittany but agree with Rick about maybe holding off a bit in light of the Chessie on it's way. By all means, join the American Brittany Club and peruse the monthly magazine. Also good to check out various Brittany sites on the web. Read all you can, talk to folks in the know, maybe even attend a few Brittany events.....all will help you make an informed decision as to a specific Brittany line when the time comes to get your pup.

SouthDakotaBound

Post by SouthDakotaBound » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:13 am

I do like those darker color britts though.

AT2

Post by AT2 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:29 am

I have to slow myself down at times too. I started wanting a pup when I sent my dog to the trainer. I really dont have the room for 3 dogs and I know this. But prior to the "flushing/pointing" combo thread. I saw a setter lab combo on American Gundog and thought it a great idea. So when I started missing my girl thoughts of a Welsh Springer(would have the same paint job as my other dogs) started creeping into my head. I had to pull the reins back. I am not ready. I have to at minimum get my current dog back and hunt her for a season. Then maybe I can consider it. In the mean time I will be researching breeders and lines like the others said in this post.

Streenie79

Post by Streenie79 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:59 pm

SouthDakotaBound wrote:I do like those darker color britts though.
Do you mean the liver and white Britts?