Liver Gsp's

muddycreek

Liver Gsp's

Post by muddycreek » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:11 pm

Does anyone know of some well bred FC line shorthairs? There do not seem to be a lot out there, from what I have seen (I could very well be wrong). Saw a pic of FC Uodibars Chocolate Thunder and he is a good lookin dog. My first (out of 2)was a liver so I have a soft spot for them.

dustertoo

Post by dustertoo » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:15 pm

You might want to check with montgomerycreek kennels in Indiana. They have a solid liver Master Hunter stud out of impressive bloodlines.

Hotpepper

Post by Hotpepper » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:18 pm

Choclate Thunder (Hank) suffered a very untimely death last year, he was a true gun dog who loved to find them. If you contact Hoke at Dunfur Kennels or Rabidou at Uodibar Kennels, they handle and trained him. The might know of a location of a get out of Hank.

Pepper
2009 NGSPA National Champion R/U
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2071

Jeremiah 29:11

God says He has Plans for Me

phillipsgsp

Post by phillipsgsp » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:26 pm

Craig pickle from Pointing Home Kennel in Kansas has a solid liver MH dog and I have a solid liver MH dog Also. Both the dogs have one common solid liver MH in there pedigree, Yogi Bear Wilkens MH. You can see my dog on my website. I think Craigs web site is www.pointinghome.com My dog has a mix of Dixieland, Jigs White smoke,Pj wildfire and German imports on the dams side.
Craigs dog is Pinegroves dixie belle and Jacob VD Westwind.

Chad
"GET THE POINT" http://www.phillipsgundogs.com Family and Shorthairs, it don't get any better than that!
Phillips' Tiptoe'n Tucker MH
Phillips' Lucy in Diguise SH

Windyhills

Post by Windyhills » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:29 pm

I know this mostly liver dog is being bred some these days--might be worth checking out. I've never seen him, only heard good things--but there are several folks on the board here who might be able to pipe in about Cooper's qualities.

http://www.cadenskennels.com/Content.as ... %20Deville

wannabe

Post by wannabe » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:30 pm

There was a very nice solid liver GSP in the Heart of America GSP Club. His owners first name is Bobby, but I don't remember his last name. Jim Burch had an outstanding solid liver male out of similar lines about 10 years ago.
Soggy Bottom Kennels
Home of:
Soggy Bottom's Dapper Dan
Belly Acres Whinehard
Soggy Bottom's Juicy Butte
Soggy Bottom's Bonafide
Soggy Bottom's Col. Angus

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:34 pm

Brenda has had some nice liver puppies out of good lines. Check with her,

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

phillipsgsp

Post by phillipsgsp » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:44 pm

Thought of some more. Countryside show and go cooper, Countryside kennels in Iowa. Also I think Ron from Thunderhead Kennels in GB has a dark dog called Rowdy I think.
Chad
"GET THE POINT" http://www.phillipsgundogs.com Family and Shorthairs, it don't get any better than that!
Phillips' Tiptoe'n Tucker MH
Phillips' Lucy in Diguise SH

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:16 pm

Jim West had a really nice young solid liver male on his string last year (probably still does) that belongs to Bruce and/or Keith Bryant I believe. Can't tell you what his breeding is though. I judged him a time or two and saw him run several more times and he was a pretty impressive boy.

Ted Mayer has some very nice line bred Luke dogs that are solid liver. I bought one from him. The pup pictured below is out of her and Moose and right now is showing great potential. Pointing staunchly enough for me to do the flushing most of the time at five months and retrieving shot birds to hand at six months. He and his littermate sister are both running nice GD races right now at just over six months of age.

Check with Ted (VZ kennel) because I believe his solid liver bitch is bred to one of Chips dogs right now.
The bitch I'm thinking Ted has bred is the mother of these pups Dam and she has the same style and drive, she was extremely biddable and trainable as a pup and has been a pleasure to own and hunt behind.

If there are any solid liver's in that litter they might sure be worth looking at. CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

larue

Post by larue » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:23 pm

the answer to that is simple.take a look at hokes stuff,simon is a great example of a liver roan dog,with 2 national titles.
Mortica was a liver roan,simons mother,another nfc,and a hof bitch.
Give dan a call,I know of at least one really nice breeding that has just
happened.
If you want a real big gundog.that handles without being scouted,
dan's stuff is high on my list.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:47 pm

Ray Dohse is currently running AFC Snips Midwest Maverick SH, he won the Continental Breed Championship this year. He was bred by me and owned by Rich Miller in Il. He is close to his AKC FC, he is 2 yrs old. Very nice dog, Fritz is his Sire Snips Snappin Sally SH is his dam. He goes back to the old Lancer/Wildburg stuff on one side. There is a pic of him on our website under Brags.
brenda

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:51 pm

snips wrote:Ray Dohse is currently running AFC Snips Midwest Maverick SH, he won the Continental Breed Championship this year. He was bred by me and owned by Rich Miller in Il. He is close to his AKC FC, he is 2 yrs old. Very nice dog, Fritz is his Sire Snips Snappin Sally SH is his dam. He goes back to the old Lancer/Wildburg stuff on one side. There is a pic of him on our website under Brags.
Beat me too it! I've seen Maverick run and he is showing boatloads of talent.
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

TrueBlu Shorthairs

Post by TrueBlu Shorthairs » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:00 am

The absolute 2 best solid liver GSPs I have ever seen are FC Rawhide's Reno, owned by Tina Carles in San Angelo, TX and G and N's Cold Struddle, owned by Gene and Niki Mason from Rockwall, TX. Reno may or may not still be alive. Struddle is a huge running absolute All Age dog that has more style than about any dog I have ever seen. If you want either person's number I can give them to you.

And, yes, Hank was a very solid Gun Dog that would have been worth a look. Hank was very consistent, excellent style, really a birddog, but died last year.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:27 am

You should try to find Gary Nehring. He should be in the phone book for Minnetonka, MN. In the late 70's and early 80's Gary trained, owned, and competed the last solid liver National Field Champion, Ammertal's Boss Ranger. Ranger was just unbeatable in his prime. A few weeks ago I was in Chicago at the American Field to do some research and ran across an old report from '79 or '80. Gary flew out to the East Coast and then won, I believe it was the NGSPA Pheasant Championship with Ranger, then did well in the Region 2 also. I see Gary a couple of times a year. I don't know that Gary still has a solid liver, but a friend of his, Donna Hendley, does I believe. Out of Gary[s original stock.

This is Ranger:

http://www.gsp-photos.us/field/ammertal_ranger.htm

nrcgsp

Post by nrcgsp » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:50 pm

The liver dog running at Heart of America is called Hershey, owned by Bobby Hancock, I don't know his breeding, but have watched Hershey for several years nice dog. Randy watched Struddle that Gene Mason owns, that Blake (Trublue) mentioned and said he is a really nice dog, and a young dog, with some more time and maturity will really be something, I would look into him. We had a guy that had bred a solid liver female to our NFC Magnum dog, but that has been a few years and don't know where any of them are. The closest we have is a roan male that is a Species ch., 2XReg. Ch, species runner up, reg. runner, FC, nat'l aa placement. Good luck in the search.
Home of: NFC/FC/RegCh/NRC'S Magnum's Touch of Gold(We miss you Magnum);
NSDC/FC/Reg. R-upSlick Kessie Joe; http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=598

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:46 pm

Thanks for all the replies. Looking sure is half the fun.

grousehunter08

Post by grousehunter08 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:52 pm

check out shooters shorthairs in michigan great dog they go back to the hill heaven line they still have a solid liver male woody. nice dog

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:00 pm

I have always liked the looks of a solid liver shorthair. I have an old bank calendar with a big picuture of Ammertal's Boss Ranger on it.

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:49 am

Muddy, over the weekend it dawned on me that the dog I was thinking of that Jim was running last year that I liked so well is named Hoss (pretty sure) what I am sure of is he belongs to the Bryants and is a very nice solid liver. CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

muddycreek

Re: Liver Gsp's

Post by muddycreek » Fri May 09, 2008 9:29 pm

Just wanted to say thanks to all for the great advise. I followed up on some of your leads and may have found something special. Now I need the bosses approval!

nitrex

Re:

Post by nitrex » Sun May 18, 2008 12:03 pm

TrueBlu Shorthairs wrote:The absolute 2 best solid liver GSPs I have ever seen are FC Rawhide's Reno, owned by Tina Carles in San Angelo, TX and G and N's Cold Struddle, owned by Gene and Niki Mason from Rockwall, TX. Reno may or may not still be alive. Struddle is a huge running absolute All Age dog that has more style than about any dog I have ever seen. If you want either person's number I can give them to you.

And, yes, Hank was a very solid Gun Dog that would have been worth a look. Hank was very consistent, excellent style, really a birddog, but died last year.

Reno was neutered last year, but may still be alive. I tried to breed my female to him, but was too late. Tina may be a good place to start!

Nitrex