Kennel Run vs. 4 acre pen

scattergun

Kennel Run vs. 4 acre pen

Post by scattergun » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:07 pm

I have never liked to keep dogs penned up in a small space. I have three versatile dogs and I won't go into breed here as to not open another can of worms. Reason being that I never thought they were happy in a small confined space and I like happy dogs because they tend to work better for me. I have a 4 acre fenced (dog proof) pasture that I am thinking of turning into a dog pen. They would get plenty of exercise and I take them to large pastures to train at least 3 times a week. I have one female and have a separate kennel for her when she is in season. Is this feasible or not?

Let me hear your pros and cons.

Thanks

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:00 pm

Give them that kind of space and they will get out of your sight, dig under the fence and be gone. I use an Invisible Fence for about an acre and a half and it works well. What I really trust, is cyclone fence down to concrete, with a cyclone fence over the top, and the entry padlocked shut. they are escape artists.

It is not that I fear them getting out. It is that I fear them getting out and getting lost, getting picked up by a "friendly" stranger whose kids want a pet (which happened once before the Invisible Fence and the dog died), or hit by a car.

Hotpepper

Post by Hotpepper » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:07 pm

My kennels are 5 ft by 16 feet and an outside the kennel house to sleep in, and I like John would just fear the worst for the dogs.

All together in a common area the dogs will pick up every bad habit of the other dogs.

JMHO

Pepper
2009 NGSPA National Champion R/U
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2071

Jeremiah 29:11

God says He has Plans for Me

scattergun

Invisible Fence

Post by scattergun » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:11 pm

And how would an Invisible Fence prevent them from getting picked up by a stranger? I'm not worried about the fence. I was wondering if it might affect their hunting?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:35 pm

I agree with the guys. 16X4 or 5'is all the space they need when by themselves. When you get home and want to let themout would be fine. The dogs will probably exercise more in a run than turned loose if it 's real hot or real cold and will get all they need any day.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:43 pm

I don't think that it would affect their hunting. I wouldn't feel comfortable using it as a pen. I also have about 5 acres right off the back yard that is fenced dog proof. I once thought I could turn dogs loose for some unsupervised exercise. Even with that large of an area within minutes they would run the fence line seeming to be looking for a place to get out to "greener pastures" .My fence is tight to the ground but only 4 foot high, a lot of dogs could jump over that.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:50 pm

I would have to agree with the general sentiment and say its not a good idea. There is nothing wrong with a dog being in a kennel and being "locked up". Would feel more comfortable with a 3 year old child left in a kennel or a 4 acre pasture? Really no different in my opinion.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

earlthepearl

Post by earlthepearl » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:02 pm

It wouldnt work for me, because my dog would run himself to death on 4 acres. When we still lived in Texas I kept the guys in a 1/2 acre fenced in area during the day and Earl ran so much I couldnt keep any weight on him.
I keep my dogs in the house when I am gone. I am too worried about someone stealing one of them.
With 4 acres i would be worried about them digging out somewhere where its tough to see. I dont know. Do whatever works best for you and your dogs. Other peoples opinion is just that - an opinion. In the end you have to work with what's yours :P

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:11 pm

My way of thinking is based more on the training of dogs. If you leave a dog in a big open area all day while you are gone to do as he pleases, then come home and catch him to train, he can resent that. When he is kenneled you come home and get him out to train and that is the fun time for him. Plus what everyone else said about the safety reasons. My dogs are in elevated kennels that are 4x10. They are out for a while every morning and from around 6- 11 pm.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:18 pm

If your dogs are getting exercise a large pen isnt needed, majority of the time they would just have a 4 acre pen to lay down in all day, instead of a 6 x 10 to lay in all day.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:38 pm

I use kennels made by behlen, magnums, cant get out of them. I have 4 acres in a petsafe stubborn dog in ground fencer. These collars are inexpensive on ebay, give a sound, then vibrate like crazy then 5 levels of shock. I had a dog liked to follow my daughter when she rode her horse, dog was hit by a car and I put her down with a broken back. The heartbreak I suffered over this lose was not as bad as the nightmares i had thinking what if the horse and rider was hit. So no dogs loose again. Fence was easy to install and I have a few spare collars just in case one dies. Hada fencer go bad, called petsafe paid 30.00 and got a new one 2 days later so they stand behind their product. Fence is 9 years old now.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

JessW

Post by JessW » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:21 am

I have about 4 acres of dog proof fenced yard (not what I would call a pasture) that has electric wire along the bottom to prevent digging out. It has securely kept 4 versatile hunting dogs and a terrier which was a real digging escape artist for quite a while now.

I also have a smaller back yard right off the house that I can put them in when I need to.

They all sleep crated in the house at night.

bobman

Post by bobman » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:32 am

I'm in agreement with Jess I used to have mine in a 3 acre fence with a electric wire run around it and you could't drag one of the to the fence.

Of course the theft issues will depend on where its located ect.

Mine spent most of their time on the covered porch after their morning patrol.

It had no effect on their training.

I wouldn't even consider it without electricity, they will get loose, but a couple good zaps and that issue is over.

My fence was truend off after about 3 weeks and the dogs never ever went near it again in the 6-7 years I lived there.

I would turn it off unless I got anew dog because of lightning strikes
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol