Outdoor Literature

muddycreek

Outdoor Literature

Post by muddycreek » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:25 pm

After many years of wanting but never quite getting around to reading "Sand County Almanac" I can only say, what was I waiting for! A great book, only a couple of chapters left to finish tonight. It did get me thinking, what are some other goodreads? I personally enjoyed "Modern Pheasant Hunting" by Steve Grooms and "The Hunting Trips of a Ranchman". I want to read "Snakefoot" and "Jenny Willow", and Gene Hill's books, heard good things about them.

What are some of your personal favorites?

WiskeyJaR

Re: Outdoor Literature

Post by WiskeyJaR » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:19 pm

one of me fravorites is "Where the red fern grows" by Wilson Rawls.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Thu May 01, 2008 1:46 pm

Grouse Feathers - a collection of essays by Burton Spiller. Written in 1935 or so. I am about 2/3 of the way through it and it is just great.

RoundRiver Setters

Post by RoundRiver Setters » Thu May 01, 2008 7:44 pm

I like George Bird Evans books. I have read The Trouble With Bird Dogs and The Upland Shooting Life..........Scott
"To be good, a bird dog must give you goose pimples when he's working a bird." 'George Bird Evans'
Scott & Shelley

Heartlands Outlaw Jesse
Stevens Round River Babe
Setter Hills Blue Molly

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu May 01, 2008 10:43 pm

Everything Gene Hill and George Byrd Evans wrote. Steve Smith is good also.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

ohiohuntinweim

Post by ohiohuntinweim » Fri May 02, 2008 10:21 am

Just finished Teddy's Wilderness Hunter, if you liked Hunting trips of a ranchman you'll probably like this one too! (different stories)
Jeremy

"Going to the woods is going home." -John Muir

FoxCreek

Post by FoxCreek » Fri May 02, 2008 10:46 am

If you are a Ruffed Grouse hunter, the book Hunting the Sun: A Passion for Grouse by Ted Nelson Lundrigan is a must read. He also has written Grouse and Lesser Gods another great grouse book.

whitedogone

Post by whitedogone » Fri May 02, 2008 11:04 am

My Grandpa's hunting and fishing journal. He kept it from about 1930 till the mid '80's. He was a great outdoorsman. He took trips to Canada at least twice a year for 40+ years.
Beretta S686 Sporting 12g 30"
Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting 20g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 28g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 20g 28"
Browning BPS Synthetic 12g 3.5" 26"
Browning BPS 12g 3" 22" cant. fully rifled

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Mon May 05, 2008 3:49 pm

Mike Gaddis is a good writer, check out the books titled "Jenny Willow" and "Zip Zap". You won't be sorry. Other good writers are Gene Hill, George Bird Evans, Charles Fergus, Thomas McGuane, Corey Ford, among others that I can't think of at this moment. Another good writer is Bill Heavey. He writes for Field and Stream, generally the last page in the magazine. I'm not a fan of the magazine because they usually have articles about the big three, (Pheasant, Deer and Bass Fishin, none of which I'm really interested in, but they certainly have some good writers that bring the periodical up a notch. "Jenny Willow" would top my list of recent literature. "The Road to Tinkamtown(Sp?) by Corey Ford has got to be the best outdoor story ever written. Enjoy!
Tom

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Mon May 05, 2008 7:54 pm

It is jogging my memory a bit, but I have read "Where a Red Fern Grows" Come to think of it "Ole Yeller' and "Call of the Wild" were favorites growing up. Not exclusivly hunting books, but good dog books.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Mon May 05, 2008 8:39 pm

Snakefoot was good, wing and shot was good, where the red fern grows. Not a book that I know of, but last year on the way home from grouse hunting, I listened to a series of short stories on audio, and they were nothing short of amazing, and I cannot for the life of me remeber the names of them, alot of duck hunting stories in them, it really reminded me of the old radio broadcasts on the A.M. I'll see if I can't find something on them.

Chip