Define a "good" grouse dog

NDBDHunter

Define a "good" grouse dog

Post by NDBDHunter » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:20 pm

I have a question. I've heard of the mythical "great" grouse dogs That could handle every bird it encountered. I say "Mythical" because a dog that can handle EVERY grouse in comes across has to exist only in someones mind. I once read an article by, I think, Dave Duffey who dared to set a standard for a good grouse dog. I believe he indicated that a dog that could successfully handle (Point) 50% of the Ruff Grouse it encountered was by any stretch a good grouse dog. Any comments on that issue?

Tom

ckfowler

Post by ckfowler » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:55 am

If I find more grouse with the dog than w/o, it is good :) If it finds birds I shoot at then it is even better! Any day in the woods with a dog that doesn't run off is great!
Colin

Decoy

Post by Decoy » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:38 am

From what I have seen behind my dogs is that early season if a dog gets a solid point on a grouse 1 out of every 10 birds he is doing great!!!! most of the time early season grouse will flush 65 yards away even if your dog is at heel and you are just walking along the road.
late season is a different story -- the birds will hold alot better. For example the last day of the season this year we had 12 flushes - 8 of them were solid points and the other 4 the dog stopped to flush.
Another thing is that I have 2 dogs and i RARELY hunt them together. I know which terrain favors which dog and choose my dog accordingly.
Our DK (Condor) is a closer working dog and i will hunt him when I know the birds are flighty or when the birds will be on the same level as the roads/strip benches that we hunt.
Our GSP (Judge) is alot quieter and stealth like and is an excellent climber (he actually climbs cliffs and looks for paw holds as he climbs up rock ledges) I hunt him when the birds are not so easy to find. He is a big running dog on quail but by 1/2 way through this past season on grouse he reeled himself in (with a little coaxing from the e-collar).

drwink

Re: Grouse dog definition

Post by drwink » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:39 pm

Here is a link that I think defines it best as can be, I actually posted a thread on this last week when I was re-reading the book.
Its called "The First Three Seasons Afield" and you can print it off "free" of charge if you want.

Go down to the chapter "Grouse and Woodcock dogs" there is a difference.

http://www.ats-sonic.com/ftsa1.htm

Wally

Birdhunter1

Post by Birdhunter1 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:31 am

I would say any dog that you truly enjoy your day afield regardless of your take is a good dog. Hunting over a brittany just makes it that much better.

Bockennels2012

Re: Define a "good" grouse dog

Post by Bockennels2012 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:38 pm

Wondering if you still have a copy of this? The online link is
gone and it says to send $20 to an address, just don't know how
old it is