Springer Spaniel book/video

Badlander

Springer Spaniel book/video

Post by Badlander » Mon May 05, 2008 7:39 pm

Picking up a springer pup in a few weeks and am looking for a good book or some videos, want to gain more knowledge of the breed and pick up some training tips that might be new to me and springers. Have a lab now that has came out real good ( don't know if it was my training or she is just plain good )and numerous gsp's before this lab. Just looking at training her for hunting, no field trial issues. Thanks, Tim

littleking

Re: Springer Spaniel book/video

Post by littleking » Tue May 06, 2008 6:48 am

get a hold of Brent at http://www.guadairakennels.com/ give him a call and i'm sure he'd be able to point you in the right direction.

tell him Eric sent ya

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Tue May 06, 2008 7:45 am

This is not a recomendation as i don't know much about the flushing world, just something i have on hand.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TRAINING-SPANIELS-G ... dZViewItem

Gun Dog Series "Training Spaniels" Featuring Kenneth C. Roebuck, will ship to you for $10. Got this as a gift, watched it a couple times but didn't do much for me since my dog is not a flusher. it seems relatively easy to follow and starts with puppy and moves through more advanced training. some of the other guys on here may know more about Roebuck or this video. pm if you are interested.

Lab Man

Post by Lab Man » Tue May 06, 2008 1:46 pm

I sell a book that is very good. Training Retrievers and Spaniels to Hunt Em Up by George Hickox. I have it in stock if you need one. You can see it at www.coonriverkennels.com Good luck

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Tue May 06, 2008 9:01 pm

Currently I have my springer enrolled in a Novice Class with our Bird Dog Club. This is a list I rec'd from them this past weekend regarding recommended reading:
How to Help Gundogs Train Themselves, by Bailey, Published by Swan Valley Press. Order direct from Joan: http://www.swanvalleypress.com. The Author is a pointer trainer, though, so don't follow her instructions for teaching your puppy to point or "whoa".

Working Springers & Cockers, by Mike Smith, Published by Biddles, Ltd. This book is one of the few really good books specifically geared towards the spaniels. Unfortunately, it is sometimes difficult to fine. I did a web search & bought it this past weekend over the internet. This is the only spaniel specific book that the club really recommends.

Listed below are several books that are written by retriever & pointer people. The Club listed them because they like their outlook of letting puppies by puppies, and using rally positive methods. Again, they suggest to ignore any advice about teaching a dog to "Whoa" (Point). Also do not teach your pupy to be steady to your thowing things.....

Best Way to Train your Gun Dog, The Delmar Smith Method, by Tarrant, published by David McKay Company, Inc. (This book is from 1977 - an old stand by)

Retriever Pups: The Formative First Year, (Master Training Series), by Tarrant, Published by Voyageur Press

Retriever Puppy Training, The Right Start for Hunting, by Loveland & Rutherford, Published by Alpine Publications

Hope this helps!
.·´¯`·... ><((((º> Tammy ·.¸. ><((((º> .·´¯`·.

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Wed May 07, 2008 4:50 pm

Killer Instinct wrote:Working Springers & Cockers, by Mike Smith, Published by Biddles, Ltd. This book is one of the few really good books specifically geared towards the spaniels. Unfortunately, it is sometimes difficult to fine. I did a web search & bought it this past weekend over the internet. This is the only spaniel specific book that the club really recommends.
Glad to see the club recognizes quality, and while the book may cost a bundle it's not terribly difficult to obtain. http://www.mailscotgundogs.co.uk/ In fact, Mike's only too chuffed to inscribe it with a training lesson or two for you.

Which may make it a little easier to forgive him
for slighting the American breeds on the spaniel family tree.

MG

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Thu May 08, 2008 8:15 am

You can also pick up the book "Working Springers & Cockers" from http://www.spanielsinthefield.com/store.asp .....

Will cost you $44.50.....
.·´¯`·... ><((((º> Tammy ·.¸. ><((((º> .·´¯`·.

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

Badlander

Post by Badlander » Thu May 08, 2008 8:46 am

Got all the input, thanks everyone, now I'll make my order.

Thanks again, Tim