Best Water Bucket

mtjim

Best Water Bucket

Post by mtjim » Fri May 09, 2008 8:16 pm

I've tried Stainless Steel - Rubber - galvanized etc. And all my buckets get green and scummy in the summer. Is there something I can do to keep this from happening?
Be wary of the man in the tattered old hunting coat with the bony pointer and the well worn side by side, he'll outshoot you every day.

markj
GDF Junkie

Re: Best Water Bucket

Post by markj » Fri May 09, 2008 8:25 pm

Keep them out of the sun, photosynthesis makes algae.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Fri May 09, 2008 8:31 pm

I like stainless in the summer for it's ease of cleaning. I use rubber in the winter so I can stomp out the ice.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Fri May 09, 2008 8:35 pm

You can swirl Bleach around the outside, let them sit a few minutes and then rinse. They will not turn green as soon if you have killed the Algae, then refil, you can even put a tablespoon of bleach in the water. Helps.
brenda

Neil Mace

Post by Neil Mace » Sat May 10, 2008 4:47 am

I use stainless milk buckets, change the water every other day or so, and put a capful of bleach in an 11 quart bucket. Because of chlorine, those on city water do not have the problems those of us on well water have.

NEil

phillipsgsp

Post by phillipsgsp » Sat May 10, 2008 11:11 am

The bleach will not harm the dog? If this is safe I think I will give it a try. I rinse and scrub everyday to keep my galvanized buckets from going green in June July, and August.
Chad
"GET THE POINT" http://www.phillipsgundogs.com Family and Shorthairs, it don't get any better than that!
Phillips' Tiptoe'n Tucker MH
Phillips' Lucy in Diguise SH

Neil Mace

Post by Neil Mace » Sat May 10, 2008 12:45 pm

I have been told it is bad for horses, so you might want to check with a vet about dogs. I don't believe it, or every dog and horse on a public water supply would be harmed. I think it is the amount of bleach, a cap full for a full bucket is not much.

I went to the stainless milking buckets because the algae does not grow as fast and they are not as likely to burst when frozen, they are pricey, but I have some that are 20 years old and that is how long I have been adding bleach to the water without ill effects.

Neil

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Sat May 10, 2008 1:53 pm

I use stainless buckets, dump them refill them every day. Once each week I wash them with dish washing detergent and a tire scrub brush. Keeping them in shade helps but there is no way around having to scrub them every now and then.