soft pads

bobman

soft pads

Post by bobman » Wed May 21, 2008 6:02 am

I recently picked up another EP very well bred but started out life in the wrong place. He came to me underweight and basically had been in a back yard tied to a barrel most of his two years. We've made good progress in the last two weeks he now recalls reliably and is a tweety bird pointing fool :D .

Unfortunately I screwed up his feet, I run all my dogs with a motor scooter every day about three miles give or take and I included him in the run the last couple days and both his main front pads scuffed a dime size piece of skin off. I checked his feet and they are soft as a babies bottom. I should of checked that prior to running him.

I know the cure for the pads but was wondering if there is some product available the would speed conditioning of his pads and or the healing.

AS an aside the guy that owned him bought him with the intention of breeding him to his pack of pitbulls to put more hunt in them, he hunts feral hogs and showed me some films, thats a wild sport to put it mildly.

He said the pitbulls were so mean that even with three guys holding the female they could not get a mating, so he gave up on it.

He was a nice guy just not much of a bird dog guy. They run these hogs at night in swamps down here and have to kill the hog with a knife to keep from accidentally killing one of the dogs. He invited me along but I can't see myself walking around in a swamp down here even in the daytime, way too many creepy crawlers in our swamps. :D
Last edited by bobman on Wed May 21, 2008 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Re: soft pads

Post by phermes1 » Wed May 21, 2008 6:12 am

Try this stuff out.

http://www.tuffoot.com/about/dogs.htm

There are similar products out there besides this. Check out Lion Country or Dogs Unlimited
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Wed May 21, 2008 6:21 am

bobman wrote:he hunts feral hogs and showed me some films, thats a wild sport to put it mildly.
once knew a guy that was into this, he was a crazy sob

sorry, cant help with the pads

bobman

Post by bobman » Wed May 21, 2008 6:37 am

that stuffs made right here is GA, I've never heard of it, my wife has though. I guess I need to get out more.
I'll get some today, have any of you ever used it (tuff foot).

Thanks
Bob
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Wed May 21, 2008 6:54 am

A friend of ours has a pool, and their dog is in the pool ALL the time, which kept his pads were very soft and he would tear them pretty easily when he ran in the field. She started applying this to his feet and it made a big difference.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

TrueBlu Shorthairs

Post by TrueBlu Shorthairs » Wed May 21, 2008 6:57 am

Betadine, night after night, and ease into the running. His pads will toughen up.

bobman

Post by bobman » Wed May 21, 2008 7:51 am

tru blu I have betadine at home now is it toxic to the dog if he licks it off?

Casper

Post by Casper » Wed May 21, 2008 1:30 pm

wait till his foot is dry and he isnt licking it anymore than apply the betadine or apply it but wrap the dogs foot in vet-wrap. My dogs usually only lick their pads for a day or two.

IMHO if you just put the dog up for a week his feet will dry and the pad will heal itself in a few days. If you are running him every day try skipping a couple days between each run till his pads toughen up than go every other day. Usually dogs slip their pads from going down hill to fast or stopping hard.

Just my experience. I have to deal with it every couple months.

FWIW

TrueBlu Shorthairs

Post by TrueBlu Shorthairs » Thu May 22, 2008 7:06 am

I have used Beatadine in large amounts on feet, had most all of them lick at it, never use any wrapping, want the wounds to dry out, and have never had any problem. Betadine can be toxic in relatively large amounts to young animals and those allergic to it. But, generally, speaking, not toxic in the small amounts we use for abrasions. If they drink half the bottle, then I'd worry.

bruin

Post by bruin » Thu May 22, 2008 8:33 am

I have used tuff foot. I pour some in a plastic container and dip there foot in it. Does the dog now live on cement? That would help to I would think.