DOGS IN HOUSE

vols fan

DOGS IN HOUSE

Post by vols fan » Tue May 27, 2008 3:22 pm

AS A YOUNG BOY I WAS ALWAYS TOLD NOT TO BRING BIRD DOGS IN THE HOUSE. I ALWAYS BROKE THE RULE. NOW 48, I'M STILL DOING THAT ALONG WITH WHAT APPEARS TO BE MOST OF YOU. I'M CONVINCED MY DOGS TRY HARDER TO PLEASE.WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?

TrueBlu Shorthairs

Re: DOGS IN HOUSE

Post by TrueBlu Shorthairs » Tue May 27, 2008 3:34 pm

IMHO, it's ridiculous to not have your birddogs be pets/housedogs. However, a dog that has never been kenneled, hasn't had the opportunity to acclimate to the changing weather, etc. has a hard time getting used to being kenneled at a trainer, at summer camp, and tends to have a harder time in inclement weather. Most dogs that have not been kenneled end up needing a month to not stress at the trainer. My dogs are kenneled during the day and are brought in in the evening and at night. I believe in doing both.

vols fan

Post by vols fan » Tue May 27, 2008 3:39 pm

mine are out all day too. they come in alot but not every night.usually stay out first of winter until it gets into low 30's . i just enjoy having them in.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Tue May 27, 2008 4:20 pm

My 2 are out in the kennel during the day when we're gone, puppy is tethered out several times during the day when we're home, and both are inside dogs otherwise. They're complete indoor dogs in the winter, but I haven't found that to be a disadvantage yet. As long as the shorthair is moving/hunting--which she always is, she's fine. She only starts getting cold if she's not on the move. I can see how it would be a disadvantage to send a dog like that off to a trainer, but I won't do that..........I just go to the trainer for a lesson here and there as needed.

I like the fact that the training goes on 24-7 with an indoor dog. I might have a designated training time during the day, but the rest of the day is full of incidental training like no jumping, don't chase the cat, hallway retrieves, holding objects, etc. I know I'm getting more training in than I would if she were out in the kennel full-time, because she's always there to prod me into doing something with her. I know kennel only folks would probably disagree (and I've never had a kennel dog), but I too think they work harder for you. They know they are part of our family unit/pack.

Not to mention I love the sweet times (usually when the puppy is half asleep :P ) when they cozy up, gaze up at me like I rule the world, and give me the big sloppy kiss. Denise

tfbirddog2

Post by tfbirddog2 » Tue May 27, 2008 4:48 pm

I havent had a dog inside for five years, the lab comes in everynow and then.We are getting a new gsp pup on saturday which will be a inside dog if oldest duaghters allergies will allow.When my lab was a inside dog she was a harder pleaser, not that she still isnt but maybe she just knew what I wanted with out asking of her.I dont think its a big deal I really think its a good thing even if it is for just the first 9 months to a year.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

coveycreek

Post by coveycreek » Tue May 27, 2008 6:24 pm

I have 2 vizslas in the house. Other than being more sensitive to the high and low temps there are no problems. I wouldn't have it any other way.

RuttCrazed

Post by RuttCrazed » Tue May 27, 2008 7:09 pm

I've got two GSPs that have a doggie door to access the house or the fenced backyard anytime they want. In the spring/summer they spend most of the day laying outside in the sun, in the winter laying in the house wherever the sun is.

Rut

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Tue May 27, 2008 9:02 pm

Never in the house! If I wanted a house pet, I'd get a poodle or small dog.
big steve

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue May 27, 2008 9:05 pm

3 dogs in the house - they don't have access to the whole house. You can't be too fussy a housekeeper - may find a hair in your toothbrush. LOL
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Tue May 27, 2008 9:13 pm

Keep my one in the house - temps are too low in the winter - generally the main type of dogs that stay outdoors are the Alaskan Huskies that LOVE the zero degree winters & are bred for it....
.·´¯`·... ><((((º> Tammy ·.¸. ><((((º> .·´¯`·.

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

eastwash

Post by eastwash » Tue May 27, 2008 11:52 pm

Sleeps in the house in ex large varikennel at night other wise outside during the day in kennel or fenced excercise area.
Two Faced Jake

Neil Mace

Post by Neil Mace » Wed May 28, 2008 2:18 am

Another myth.

Most of the top dogs at the NC at Ames have been house dogs, or at least truck dogs. Since the trainers are on the road so much, the top dogs ride in the truck between trials.

Hoyle Eaton always keeps his best dogs in the house, has been working for him for 50 years.

I have 8 adult dogs, so they have to take turns. But all pups are whelped in the house, and the ones I keep stay there for the first 6 months.

Neil

bobman

Post by bobman » Wed May 28, 2008 5:39 am

mine come in every night all 12 of them, my old shorthairs stay in all the time the like the airconditioning..I know it makes a better hunting dog.
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed May 28, 2008 5:56 am

When they're home from the trainer, they're in the house, crated when I'm not home, and loose with dog door access to the yard when I can supervise. I'd like to put in kennels so they are out when I'm not home, but 3 of the 4 spend so little time at home I'm not sure it would be cost effective. One is my house pet...sleeps on the bed and has full run of the house and yard 24/7.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

KY Grouse Hunter

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Wed May 28, 2008 6:00 am

No dogs inside, period. Dogs were made for the outdoors and thats where they will stay with me.
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Wed May 28, 2008 7:03 am

We have a fenced backyard so ours can generally come and go as it pleases when we are home. When we are gone - dog either comes with us or is crated. The dog is inside most of the time, and generally has run of the house when everyone is around and she is supervised. We use child gates to block off certain sections most of the time. Frankly, she follows me everywhere anyway. I can be in the bathroom in the shower, and then open the door to leave and she is laying by the door waiting for me. I like that she is so attached to me. My kids are getting older so to have my little gal shadow me everywhere is endearing. Sometimes I will steal away quietly while she may be sleeping and I go downstairs, but in a minute or two max she will have figured it out and will be by my side.

jessie

Post by jessie » Wed May 28, 2008 7:30 am

I used to be the "no dogs in the house die hard" but after realizing that bringing a youngster in the house is the BEST way to socialize him I have since changed my stance. I have my dogs kenneled all the time but they get to come in for about 15-20 minutes about twice a week. Being a guy that specializes in dealing with the wierdos that other owners create I find it very beneficial to bring them in and socialize them. Leaving a dog in the kennel with no personal interaction creates so many problems. On the other hand I am not a proponent of birddogs being house pets. That's what small foofy dogs are for. Most of the people that have birddog house pets do not have pointers. My dogs are so psycho that they would destroy everything in site if given 5 minutes to do so.

jetto

Post by jetto » Wed May 28, 2008 8:08 am

Five in the house. Crated when we're at work. I go home at lunchtime every day and they get out for at least an hour to play, etc. Actually I tend to get quite a bit of training, grooming, etc. done in that hour- just have to change clothes as soon as I walk in the door! We do send our youngsters out to the trainer for at least a couple of weeks when they are 5-6 months old. This is to get them used to a kennel situation as well as our trainer. My oldest boy had never been kenneled and when he went to the trainers at 3-1/2 years old it took him a couple weeks to get used to kennel life and he still hates it. To avoid that we send them when they are young now.

Would love to have kennels so they could be out during the day but not possible. Kristi

FoxCreek

Post by FoxCreek » Wed May 28, 2008 10:43 am

2 labs and 1 GWP in the house. One word - BONDING.

BadShot

Post by BadShot » Wed May 28, 2008 3:48 pm

big steve46 wrote:Never in the house! If I wanted a house pet, I'd get a poodle or small dog.

I thought a Lyewellyn IS a small dog??? :?

My Newfoundland, Springer and Mutt are all house dogs. Do have a doggie door to fenced back yard though. :)

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Wed May 28, 2008 3:53 pm

The only way to "spoil a dog" is to not enforce discipline whther in the house, training, or hunting field. As long as "No" mens no and "here" always means here etc you are certainly NOT hurting the dog. I too believe the more time you spend with a dog whether hunting, training, or sitting on the couch the better your overall relationship/bond will be with the dog and the more you will get from them in the end.

This is however somewhat breed/line dependant. This is how I want my dogs to be, so this is what I breed for. If you have dogs which have for many generations been bred strictly to be raised in kennels you might get something different as a result but I think overall it holds to be true. CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

dhondtm

Post by dhondtm » Thu May 29, 2008 9:03 am

110' out there -- "bleep" straight there inside.