Does going into Heat cause....

Killer Instinct

Does going into Heat cause....

Post by Killer Instinct » Thu May 29, 2008 7:34 pm

Just a quick question: Does a female going into heat cause stupidity?...(and for some of you men, yes, I'm talking about dogs, not human females)... case in point - my dog was doing great in training - then, bam, forgets everything it seems & is in her first heat. Could "heat" be a factor? (not including overtraining her, food, having a bad day, etc)
.·´¯`·... ><((((º> Tammy ·.¸. ><((((º> .·´¯`·.

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

Karen
GDF Junkie

Re: Does going into Heat cause....

Post by Karen » Thu May 29, 2008 8:03 pm

Oh yeah. I don't even bother working my girl when she's in season now. She looses her mind the week before and doesn't get it back until a full week AFTER she comes out. She's getting slightly better with each heat (she just turned 3 yrs old), and I hope to be able to compete with her in season eventually....but not yet.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Thu May 29, 2008 8:40 pm

Karen wrote:Oh yeah. I don't even bother working my girl when she's in season now. She looses her mind the week before and doesn't get it back until a full week AFTER she comes out. She's getting slightly better with each heat (she just turned 3 yrs old), and I hope to be able to compete with her in season eventually....but not yet.
Thank You! I feel way better..... :D

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu May 29, 2008 9:22 pm

many females may seem to loose their marbles before their cycle....

we will run them still for a little bit cause hormones or not they still need to know their manners :wink:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Thu May 29, 2008 10:22 pm

If you were in my position (she's enrolled in hunter training classes), should I skip attendance until she's done due to the fact there are other males in the class?

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Thu May 29, 2008 10:48 pm

Thanks for the reply Howie....

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Thu May 29, 2008 10:49 pm

When a bitch starts her heat cycle she goes off of my string for three weeks. CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

Windyhills

Post by Windyhills » Fri May 30, 2008 12:28 am

I've seen some that do more than others. Know a couple of dogs that are really tough to work during heat cycles. I could still hunt my GSP bitch in season before she was fixed but I had to put up with bouts of apparent deafness. And she had a bad habit of marking as much or more than many males would when in heat. Didn't like to hunt her in heat when she was young and learning as I wasn't comfortable with correcting her all the time in that condition, figured best to wait.

jetto

Post by jetto » Fri May 30, 2008 5:46 am

Seems they are all different too....During her last heat cycle Tilly was in the process of being broke. Jesse was able to keep right on working her with no problems whatsoever. Now that being said- AFTER her heat cycle she went into a false pregnancy which basically ruined our spring with her. Nothing like trying to run a bitch when she is worried about her "phantom babies" back at camp! Just didn't work. So other than driving the boys crazy her actual "being in heat" isn't a big deal. It's the AFTERWARDS that isn't much fun. And last summer when she was in heat- same thing. Fine while in. Goofy and not worth much for a month or two after she was out. After this spring we have declared her our last intact bitch... :roll: Kristi

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Fri May 30, 2008 7:50 am

Thank you for all your responses! :D I really was starting to get concerned that I screwed it up royally when she became "deaf" to bringing ANYTHING back when she was doing sooo well (I was envisioning winning the National Open the way she was picking up things so easily - that bubble dream has since BURST by her most recent activity :( ...)

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby