Bedding for whelping box

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Bedding for whelping box

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:10 pm

I was curious what everyone uses for bedding in their whelping boxes. In the past I have used a door mat and newspapers, but have seen that some people use some type of wood shavings. I was wondering if the shavings soak up the pee better, and if you have any problems with momma eating them as she cleans up after the babies.

Doug

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Bedding for whelping box

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:14 pm

regular Newspapers is what i go back to when trying different stuff

at i just ahve heating pad with no paper as momma keeps them extra clean then when they move more i will place in a sheet or two of newspaper

i hated the wood shavings was extremely messy and the pee pads end up being more a pain also they always end up balled up and then if momma scratches at them have white fluff everywhere
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:16 pm

I haven't found anything better or cheaper then just plain old newspaper. :D

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:28 pm

I use newspaper too. I like to use several layers of whole sheets. It's much easier to change out than the shredded stuff.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:32 pm

OPen up a newspaper and use the open sheets at least 3 thick.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Ryan Baumann

Post by Ryan Baumann » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:21 pm

I use two blankets and wash one each day.

Kinda a pain but works great.

Ryan.

phillipsgsp

Post by phillipsgsp » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:41 pm

I have a stainless 4 ft x 4 ft pan that has sides that bungee cord on it. I have acess to carpet leftovers from the airplanes that I work on at my real job. So I just cut a 4x4 peice and place in the pan. I change it every 2 to 3 days when pups are small and end up changing it everyday when they get to be 3 1/2 weeks and older. When changing the carpet I wipe the pan down with clorox wipes and let dry before placing the new carpet inside the pen/pan.

Chad
"GET THE POINT" http://www.phillipsgundogs.com Family and Shorthairs, it don't get any better than that!
Phillips' Tiptoe'n Tucker MH
Phillips' Lucy in Diguise SH

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:21 pm

I have also use low profile stiff type carpeting...works fine also when you can change it

any thing that flat that the dam can't easily dig up and cause pups to wrapped up and have a potential to getting smothered ... :(
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:05 am

I use either polartech or sheepskin. Mine stays nice and flat because my whelping box is so heavy. The box is 4 x 4 and the polartech is 5 x 5. I stretch the edges of the fabric under the edges of the whelping box. My whelping box does not have a bottom to it. I built a platform (5 x 5) to put the box on so pups would not be on a cold floor in winter. The platform is covered with vinyl flooring for ease of cleaning.

I like the polartech because a quick wash in the washer and 10 min. in the dryer is all that is needed to clean it. The polartech also wicks away any wetness. I have 3 sets of it. I found that the newspapers were very messy and much more smelly. I also didn't like that the dam sometimes ate the newspapers in her attempts to keep the pups clean.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:21 pm

We use 5-6 sheets of brown packaging paper that you can buy in huge rolls as the bottom layer. When the pups are really young, we top this off with normal carpet and faux wool material. As they get older, we put mult. layers of bed sheets (cut to size for the box) between the carpet and faux wool for more absorption, keeping the carpet cleaner. We switch out the top layer and sheets a couple times a day... have countless sheet squares, probably five wooly squares, and couple carpet squares; pretty much exchange all the bedding as needed or at least every other day to wipe out box. Carpet layer gets taken out when pups get real big and messy- easier to keep things sanitized. This has worked well for us because we keep a very good eye on the pups; with less supervision, it would probably be wise to have less loose layers or make sure everything can be secured in place, to prevent pups from getting underneath. There are some 'fancy' special whelping box fabrics from some catalogs like PetEdge, but they're pricey. Clean, safe, and comfortable... that's all that's important. (As far as heating pads go, I think ours is called LectroKennel... it wasn't too popular with our last litter, but it sure beat keeping the room at 86 degrees, much appreciated by momma dog....)

bridget264

Post by bridget264 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:14 am

Bedding Helps a puppys nature towards resting. Bedding with different shades can give more comfort to new born puppies. They are easily adjustable and can change easily while they are dirty. In a week just 7 different bedding are required which helps you to change Bedding in whelping box as per day.