Whats Style to you ?

sjkennels

Re: Whats Style to you ?

Post by sjkennels » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:07 pm

birddog1968 wrote:Took alot of shocking to get her into this position...... :lol: :P

now thats funny
kick'em up knock'em down

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:38 pm

birddog1968 wrote:I haven't noticed any difference, and I have run them without as well. My dogs wear them just about all the time hunting and training.
They rarely get stimulated....and when they do they know why. I really havent seen a difference.

Guess I could understand if dogs owner has got a heavy thumb.
Same here. The e-collar is simply insurance and potentially for the dog's safety. As has been said, it has absolutely nothing to do with style. I have a collar on mine anytime I have them out hunting or just running them. If you have a collar and know how to use it properly, there is no reason to not have it on them. BTW, I seldom ever need to use it.

It seems to me, the people who are against the e-collar, are trying to defend the fact that most of the dogs in this thread have way more style than theirs. I love most of the pictures in this thread, as most of the dogs show tremendous style. I would post some style myself, except I haven't learned how yet. :oops: I really like the eyes in that one pic. My young GSP has those eyes on birds. Then, there are a couple who show no style, but do point and back. There seems to be a really big ego problem here and they have to try and take away from the stylish dogs and their owners.

I don't doubt that these dogs can hunt and please their owners. If that is what style means to them, so be it. :roll: I just think a more appropriate thread for these people would be WHAT'S A MEAT DOG TO YOU? :D

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:42 pm

LBH wrote:
Brushbustin Sporting Dogs wrote:Received a picture of the dog I potentially might bred to this fall. Wow...this is style...Image
Yes, this is style. Most stylish Britt I have seen, atleast in the picture.
Pointer/Britt Cross??? :D
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

LBH

Post by LBH » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:47 pm

Ron R wrote:
LBH wrote:
Brushbustin Sporting Dogs wrote:Received a picture of the dog I potentially might bred to this fall. Wow...this is style...Image
I wouldn't know. Never seen that dog and don't even know it's name. But it's a dang nice looking Brointer or Pointney.... whatever ya call it... it's got style :lol:

CimarronGSPs

Post by CimarronGSPs » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:44 pm

I think that style depends on the breed and the person. Personally I like a good rock solid point with a high tail. Here's a couple of old shots.
Tess is from Norton KS. I got this shot at Sebelius Lake in Norton KS.
This shot was taken on a training day with my son. This girl is Dixie.
Chief's Cimarron War Hawk

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:46 am

Ron R wrote:
LBH wrote:
Coming from a guy who has seen HUNDREDS of Brits in NAVHDA & AKC Hunt Tests/Field Trials............
...... if that's a Brit, it has TREMENDOUS pointing style and much too long of a tail.
The frame appears MUCH too high & long to be a Brit. Is it a Brit? And if it is, could you please post the pedigree?

And to think that I was the one who started this $h!tstorm........... man do I regret it. :oops:

Rob
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:42 am

Had to keep a collar on this one, everytime I let him out without it he stole my tractor for a joyride.

Last edited by birddog1968 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:19 am

Ok Guys and gals,

I cleaned this topic up a bit by taking out some of the personal arguments that had little or nothing to do with style instead of just locking the thread. It has been a great topic and has some beautiful pictures. Just too good to lock if we can help it.

To get things back in perspective it seems to me style is an adjective to describe how your dog looks while performing some particular act. It might be stylish while running, pointing, or driving a tractor. But no matter what we are talking about it is something related to a particular incident and not necessarily always universal. Any dog can and probably does point with style but that does not mean they do it every time. There are always many variables that enter in to what we call style. And one of the varibles is how each of us would describe style. Some dogs do show it more often than others but even those can occasionally look as attractive as a mud fence.

The point is that this thread is a great place to show off your dog with a beautiful picture that you love and call stylish at least in your mind. But no where was it intended to show that my dog is better than your dog. Keep the pics flowing as we all love to see all of our dogs at their better momments and lets stop the "mine is better than yours" since there is no way to judge that and no one cares.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:38 am

ezzy333 wrote:
To get things back in perspective it seems to me style is an adjective to describe how your dog looks while performing some particular act. It might be stylish while running, pointing, or driving a tractor.

Ezzy
:oops: 8) :lol:

And Briar thought they didnt even have enough versatility to retrieve a duck or goose :mrgreen:
He's a heck of a tater harvester too .........
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:59 pm

Here's a dog I owned years ago- I very rarely hunted her with an e-collar, if ever at all.
I did use an e-collar to break her steady to fall & force fetch though............

She passed 4+ years ago & as part of the closure process, I read through the three
hunting journals I amassed while hunting with her over 11 seasons. We shot 850+
wild birds over this dog..... Grouse, Woodcock, Pheasant, Ducks, Huns & Quail.
She hunted in 18 different states and I could put her on the ground anywhere and
feel confident that she'd get'r done!

Rob
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

uthunter

Post by uthunter » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:46 pm

CimarronGSPs wrote:Couple others I took from past years.
Ranger
Favorite Picture so far. That dog just looks good

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:53 pm

I kind of like this one
Style cannot exist without staunchness and intensity, but not every staunch and intense pointing dog exhibits STYLE.

Grange

Post by Grange » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:14 pm

For the brittany lovers. My parents brittanies.

It's all in the eyes. I believe he was about 1.5 years of age. He is pointing a wild pheasant in SD.

This is right after my setter pup stole point. She is about 1.5 years of age in that picture. she is pointing a quail during a training day.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:32 pm

Grange wrote:For the brittany lovers. My parents brittanies.

It's all in the eyes. I believe he was about 1.5 years of age. He is pointing a wild pheasant in SD.

This is right after my setter pup stole point. She is about 1.5 years of age in that picture. she is pointing a quail during a training day.
This is style, as are most of the other pics on here....Intensity.....Gotta love it.

Charlie

CimarronGSPs

Post by CimarronGSPs » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:43 pm

THanks Utah. I enjoy this part of this board the most. Seeing all the great looking dogs keeps me glued to the computer just waiting for the next post. Keep up the good shots coming. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

CimarronGSPs

Post by CimarronGSPs » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:55 pm

This shot was taken several years ago near Plains KS. It was a training session at my friends farm.
The dog on the right is Hawk, my avatar. He came from Chief Dog's Chief. THe other dog is Dixie. She has the sweetest personality around. Unfortunately these two are getting older, but I have a few shots to remember them by.

kumate

Post by kumate » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:11 pm

Nice pics everyone, Texcala those pics were awesome even though yur dogs tails werent high, they showed incredible style. imho

Jerry

JKP

Post by JKP » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:50 am

I put much more emphasis on intensity...style is really a personal interpretation. A dog with energy, intensity and manners on game (without having to train it into oblivion) would be my first choice. If the tail is at 10 o:clock or 12 o:clock is really less important to me...to be clear, I would not want a dog that points with a weak tail. Many of the dogs with vertical tails run with them that way...its not like the tail changes position all that much when they point. So we shouldn't confuse this physical trait with greater desire...which is the name of the game.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:57 am

I dont totally agree with (paraphrase) Because a dog carries his tail high it dont mean alot when they are pointing.
Ive seen a few with high cracking tails while running, that looked less than inspiring on point.

A beautiful high tail on point is an indication of alot of things, not least of which is nose and intensity.

Neat little couple snaps....of the final stalk.

Elhew dog pointing snipe down by the pond 40-50 yards away. This dog has so much motor he runs with a flat pump handle tail.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

BrettBryan

Post by BrettBryan » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:30 pm

Wow! Some good looking bird dogs on this thread!

Here's one shot of one of mine. I will try to add a couple later, can't get them to load for some reason.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old dogs, children, and watermelon wine

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:11 pm

Here's a pic of Gator.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:04 pm

Troy, love it. Ready, set, nailed.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:46 pm

Ruffshooter wrote:Troy, love it. Ready, set, nailed.
YES!!!!

Charlie

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:37 pm

Couple from today......

Millers good in da wood too :D

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:01 pm

I don't like a dog that points loose or with a 9 0'clock tail.

OTOH, I place a lot more value in the dog's way of movin'. Fast and effortless then slamming the bird. That's what gets my blood boilin'...and that's what it's all about. Adding to the experience.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:28 pm

I love to watch a smart dog work the wind in the open and target likely areas effortlessly without any need for direction, one that thinks no haunt is too gnarly.......... as you hunt the day away, silently. 8)

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:20 pm

Just found this one on the Edmonton Pointing Dog Club website.

And this one:

Ditch__Parrot

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:50 pm

One of my "Meat Dogs"

Then

And Now

I've always thought she was a little stylish. But what do I know.

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:35 am

Heres my pup a little over a year old he's had nicer points but I usually have a gun not a camera.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:19 am

Ditch__Parrot wrote:One of my "Meat Dogs"

Then

And Now

I've always thought she was a little stylish. But what do I know.
The eyes say it all!!! Looks like style to me. :D

Charlie

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:33 am

Just found this thread and spent an hour looking at all of the class dogs, i have never seen as many sylish dogs on one forum :D
Well done and keep them coming.

Dave.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am

Here is a 9. A 10 if you are a shorthair person:

Here is my personal choice for a 10. May we all be so lucky as to have one of these:

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:55 am

Beautiful!! I would switch the 9 and 10 around though. :wink: :wink: Thanks for sharing.

Charlie

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:26 pm

There are lots of different definitions of style and intensity. I hunted once over a dog that lay down on point and brought tears to my eyes because of the beauty of it, and there was another old dog guy there that felt the same way. I have told the story before and won't repeat it.

But generally, it takes a high tail and the classic "high and tight" to get into the 7 or 8 range with me. After that, I am looking for things that are not easy to put into words. There are lots of high and tight dogs that look high and tight because they have been trained to stand that way, not because the scent stream in their nose drives them to it, the posture is there but not the intensity. That is a 7 for me. What gets a dog over an 8 for me is abrupt, explosive, intensity. A dog standing still that looks like a bomb about to go off. One picture I really like in this thread was GordonGuy's avatar - dog that was absolutely stopped in his tracks by the sudden scent of bird, and if the wind kicks up a little he is about to fall over on his face.

Once you get to that point, what pushes a dog into the 9 or 10 category is the physique of the dog. If you look at that picture of Cypress Gunpowder, what you see is just wonderful muscle definition everywhere on his body, including his shoulders and his "doggy six-pack." Spot's picture, which is my 9, has that definition in the belly and haunches, but it is not so apparent in the shoulder because of the way the picture was taken - although it is there. So based on that, Cypress Gunpowder gets the 10. I am still keeping Spot for awhile longer though.

There are a few that would argue with me and say that is a sickle tail on Cypress Gundpowder. Go away. That is about as beautiful as a dog gets.
Last edited by Wagonmaster on Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrettBryan

Post by BrettBryan » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:58 pm

Here's one of Boss a few years back.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:48 pm

Good personal explanation wagonmaster.....but its still a subjective explanation. Where you see a 9 I see a 7 by your definitions, has nothing to do with breed either.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

LBH

Post by LBH » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:17 pm

Blayzee On Point @ 6 Months Old...

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:06 am

birddog1968 wrote:Where you see a 9 I see a 7
x2

Now if LBH can keep that little dog looking like that!

LBH

Post by LBH » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:11 pm

Well, she's still got it at 8 months...

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:31 pm

If that tail was any longer, she would be an EP. :D Just kidding, she is a great looking dog. Lots of style there.

Charlie

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:01 pm

Sure like her looks but I have seen Pointers with tails shorter than that.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

LBH

Post by LBH » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:26 pm

birddogger wrote:If that tail was any longer, she would be an EP. :D Just kidding, she is a great looking dog. Lots of style there.

Charlie
She does have a long tail for a GSP doesn't she... but man look at how she carries it... she'll knock your eyes out on point !
ezzy333 wrote:Sure like her looks but I have seen Pointers with tails shorter than that.

Ezzy
Ezzy, tail envy ? :wink: Her tail is longer than the average GSP but you can't honestly tell me she has no style !! :D

I think her tail is a little long for a GSP, but if a Pointer had a shorter tail , that would be A LOT shorter than what a Pointer should look like.
Last edited by LBH on Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:33 pm

LBH wrote:
birddogger wrote:If that tail was any longer, she would be an EP. :D Just kidding, she is a great looking dog. Lots of style there.

Charlie
She does have a long tail for a GSP doesn't she... but man look at how she carries it... she'll knock your eyes out on point!
ezzy333 wrote:Sure like her looks but I have seen Pointers with tails shorter than that.

Ezzy
Ezzy, tail envy ?:wink: All kidding aside, yes her tail is longer than average but you can't honestly tell me she has no style !! :D

I think her tail is a little long for a GSP, but if a Pointer had a shorter tail , that would be A LOT shorter than what a Pointer should look like.
If it was a pointer, people would say it doesn't have style because it looks sickle tailed to me.

LBH

Post by LBH » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:56 pm

Well we don't gotta worry about that cause she's a Shorthair :wink:

BrettBryan

Post by BrettBryan » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:23 pm

Here's another one of Boss. I forgot this one is my avatar :lol:
Boss778.jpg

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:41 pm

If it was a pointer, people would say it doesn't have style because it looks sickle tailed to me.
But most of know that curves are prettier and nicer than just straight lines. 8)

Ezzy

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:49 am

ElhewPointer wrote: If it was a pointer, people would say it doesn't have style because it looks sickle tailed to me.
You are right, Wehle wouldn't have kept her for breeding in all likliehood.
Where are the big versions of the dog in your avatar?

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:58 am

slistoe wrote:
ElhewPointer wrote: If it was a pointer, people would say it doesn't have style because it looks sickle tailed to me.
You are right, Wehle wouldn't have kept her for breeding in all likliehood.
Where are the big versions of the dog in your avatar?

dunno, snakefoot had a sickle tail...as do quite a few of his elhews. Not exaggerated mind you, but if one were to nitpick,
straight is 12:00 straight.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:38 pm

How about this youngster? He was dropped off at the kennel a couple of days ago. Owners didn't want him anymore, so I agreed to take him. Put him on birds today. Should I keep him? :mrgreen: