Rock Acre Blackhawk

PowerPoint

Re: Rock Acre Blackhawk

Post by PowerPoint » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:42 pm

I have seen the "new age Tri-color" Black hawk pups...Very intresting to say the least.And I dont think I want a tr-color english pointer,but they look neat.Thats got to say something there... :roll:

oakcreek

Post by oakcreek » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:22 pm

Yes I do care about looks, I like well put together dogs from head to tail. If I didn't like the looks of the dog I probably wouldn't own it. There most likely are great dogs with nice conformation, so why own a dog that I don't like to look at?

However, I would own a blackhawk dog. I would want the dog to look the part though. I think I can be picky, there are plenty of dogs out there

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:50 pm

Are you kidding!?!? I love Pointer obsessed GSP guys!!
I know, I know - I wouldn't wish the heartbreak I feel every time I beat 'em on anybody! The hazards of hero worship!! :lol:

(I know we're goofin'! Every time I try to contribute something serious I get in trouble and have to put myself outside in the kennel for awhile! :oops: )

gmanksu

Post by gmanksu » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:09 pm

Half dropper or half martian, I'd own him, and I believe most if not all posting on the subject or making statements as to Blackhawk's status as an English Pointer would say the same.

oakcreek

Post by oakcreek » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:52 pm

Of course I would own Blackhawk, and I would breed to him as well.

Wa Chukar Hunter

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:05 am

I got a nice bitch from a rock acre breeding - that I will contact Tommy Davis to breed her to Strut should she come into heat this summer - pretty convenient since Tommy's camp is only about 15 miles from mine in SD.
"I swear a woman's breast is the hardest rock, the Almighty ever created, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:27 am

Wa,

I would definitely get Pee Wee's and Tommy's opinion first. I don't think conventional line breeding rules apply. :wink:

Wa Chukar Hunter

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:53 am

That's alright - I got plenty of setters in the kennel - a bit more blood wouldn't make much difference. Another option might be that Master Hawk dog that Dean Lord runs.
"I swear a woman's breast is the hardest rock, the Almighty ever created, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:38 am

That's funny! :D

Bigsur009

Post by Bigsur009 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:30 pm

Forgive my ignorance, but what's a half dropper?

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:14 pm

a dropper is an pup from a cross breeding. GSP and Pointer or Pointer and Setter etc... Usually an accident, but there are cases where it is alleged to have been done on purpose to bring different qualities in to a breed.

gmanksu

Post by gmanksu » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:14 pm

BigSur,

A "dropper" is half pointer and half setter.

Bigsur009

Post by Bigsur009 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:13 am

Okay, thanks guys. I gathered as much from the way the posts were leaning, but wanted to make sure.

BrettBryan

Post by BrettBryan » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:39 pm

I'll try to attach a couple of pictures of a pup I'm in the process of training right now that's out of CH Rock Acre Blackhawk. I say he's a pup. He's 16 months old now. But, I like him a lot. I think he has the tools to become a really nice one. I won't go into detail, but I'll just say I think he's nice. I don't think Hank has an odd looking head at all. It's pretty square. But, then again, I don't want a huge block headed pointer. I like em' a little on the smaller side anyway. Hank weigh's 45 pounds. Now, I'll see if this attatchment works.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old dogs, children, and watermelon wine

BrettBryan

Post by BrettBryan » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:41 pm

Here's one more of Hank. These pictures were taken right before X-mas last year. Hank was around 9 months old at the time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BrettBryan

Post by BrettBryan » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:06 pm

Big Dave, so Santo was supposed to have Setter in her??? I'll post a picture of Santo. She looks pretty much like a pointer to me.

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:40 pm

Maybe Santo wasn't his momma?

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:25 pm

Ding Ding Ding, what do have for him Johnny?!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Chip

BrettBryan

Post by BrettBryan » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:26 pm

Wouldn't they DNA a 4X CH to see what he was out of? Or is this only done for the Nat'l CH at Ames? Just me asking. I know Blackhawk has been DNA'd, it's on the papers. I'm not trying to start anything. I've seen Strut's pictures. I know there have been a couple tri-color offspring. I do find it odd also. All I know is, what I see is a bird dog. My uncle has judged Strut a few times and says he's really nice too. Who knows? I just know I like what I have so far.

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:09 pm

I agree that Blackhawk is a really nice dog and has produced some real nice dogs.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:24 pm

Brett,

I have bred to Blackhawk and I have bred to Strut and I like the pups I have for sure. Some tail issues with some, but bird dogs all!! In fact, Jack, the Blackhawk pup that I am going to run this fall is the best pup I have ever owned of any breed. He is the real deal so far.

Setter or no setter ...I couldn't be happier. :D

BarkRidge

Post by BarkRidge » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:30 am

BrettBryan wrote:Here's one more of Hank. These pictures were taken right before X-mas last year. Hank was around 9 months old at the time.

Brett,

Are you going to run that dog in NSTRA events ????

BrettBryan

Post by BrettBryan » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:04 am

Barkridge,
I'm not real sure yet. My idea is to break him steady to wing and shot. I would love to run him in a couple derby shooting dog stakes this fall. I know you need to choose what you will run the dog in, and train him for it. But, I would love to be able to do a little of both with him. I hope to keep him handling kind enough to run him in NSTRA if I decide to. He's getting a little wide on me right now for NSTRA. But, I do like how he looks me up or turns the way I'm headed right now. And I like the way he has some sense in his head. He's a lot of animal, but he's not a complete idiot is what I'm trying to say. I like him a lot and i see the raw talent in him. If he doesn't win, it'll be because I failed him as a trainer. He's plenty of bird dog. But, so far so good.
But to answer your question, I just don't know yet.

Yallawac, I have looked at your breedings. You have made some really nice ones. I have no doubt you have what you are looking for in your Jack pup. And the rip rap pup on your website is super nice looking. I decided on a Blackhawk bred pup because of what he was throwing. My uncle said he was a nice dog on the ground and a nice bird dog for sure, but nothing extraordinary. I just liked what I saw behind him(blood) and liked what he was throwing. Right or wrong, that was my logic. The best bird dog in the world won't do you much good if he doesn't produce. Setter blood or no setter blood, I don't mind feeding Hank everyday :D

PowerPoint

Post by PowerPoint » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:21 am

I personally think Black Hawk is a nice dog.I think he has been built up to "legendary" status unjustly however.I belive that marketing brought a plethra of exellent bred bitches to be bred to him,therefore producing the dogs he is.Nobody is going to bring an "ok" bred female to him at that stud fee price,or they'd never get rid of the pups at the price they need too.Think about it,and look at the bottom side to some of these trialing dogs he's produced.Is he a Guard Rail,a Snakefoot,a Fiddler's Ace,Miller's Chief,Bullett,Silver ending,Online,dateline,....I personally dont think so..

oakcreek

Post by oakcreek » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:34 pm

Personally I believe he has already produced better field trial dogs then snakefoot, and a couple of the others you mentioned. In all actuality (and don't jump on me for this) but I don't like much of anything I have seen out of online, and really don't know how well he has produced on the big circuit.

I think he is throwing nice dogs, most are coming out of super nice females. I know katie lee produced really well, but I don't think you would get all those CH dogs without the sire as well. He had some influence in the production of those dogs .

he is a nice dog, seems to throw some good range into his pups, and I most that I have seen have had excellent style. I think he is best bred to elhew, or heavy fiddler bred females.

PowerPoint

Post by PowerPoint » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:57 pm

About Online.I didnt know if you had seen all the siblings that had come from that Powder X Wiggin's Miss Sammie cross,but there are too many Champions,and produced Champions by them,and Online to count.Take a look at Wiggin's river kennels site,and check out CH. Wiggin's River Knot,Prarie Knight,Boss,not to mention the females out of that White Powder X Wiggin's Miss Sammie Cross.They ALL are MONEY.I guess its just a matter of choice.If you ask 5 differnt dog men the same questions,you get 5 differnt answers that are all good answers..

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:11 pm

...Powder X Wiggin's Miss Sammie cross,but there are too many Champions,and produced Champions by them,and Online to count.Take a look at Wiggin's river kennels site,and check out CH. Wiggin's River Knot,Prarie Knight,Boss,not to mention the females out of that White Powder X Wiggin's Miss Sammie Cross.They ALL are MONEY.
Can you imagine if you took one of those money females and bred her to Guard Rail?? The pups would be awesome!! Oh wait!! They did ...and I have one!! ...and I bred her to Blackhawk!! :D

PowerPoint

Post by PowerPoint » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:16 pm

The ole tri-fecta! The only thing missing with one of those pups is a date with Jenna Jameson!! :D

BarkRidge

Post by BarkRidge » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:33 pm

PowerPoint wrote:About Online.I didnt know if you had seen all the siblings that had come from that Powder X Wiggin's Miss Sammie cross,but there are too many Champions,and produced Champions by them,and Online to count.
Them days are over. Ferrell took care of that line of dogs for us all. Two fantastic producers, Powder and Date Line, have become essentially impotent, as far as registration goes anyway. Ferrell has said Date Line would have proven to be his best sire had he not been pulled. That is saying allot with Chief and Powder in his kennel.

Don Wiggins bred to Ferrell's dogs anytime one of his females went in heat for quite some time. I believe he has Miller in every dog in his kennel. I know he ran the **** out of his Knott dog trying to put a CH on him.

PowerPoint

Post by PowerPoint » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:15 pm

I wouldnt say those days are over.Theres some people out there carring the torch for Ferrel,such as Joe Don House,Nathan Phillips,Gary Lester,and others im sure.And soon I will be doing my best to see it stays alive in my world......

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:42 pm

And soon I will be doing my best to see it stays alive in my world......
How are you going to do that? :wink:

PowerPoint

Post by PowerPoint » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:52 pm

WINK WINK :wink:

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:43 pm

Anybody have a recent pedigree with his production record on it? If so, would you mind sharing it here?

bullopa

Post by bullopa » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:30 pm

I have a Blackhawk Dog and she is on the smaller side as some mentioned, but her head is beautiful and she turned out to be a GREAT dog. I couldn't be happier with her. Good luck