Training Day with Pics

gar-dog

Training Day with Pics

Post by gar-dog » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:42 pm

I took Ginger down to the English Setter Club that I joined recently - 300+ acres with quail. It was about 100-102 degrees and we got into a mess of quail early and Ginger went about 45 minutes and I just had to stop her. It was just too hot, and too many birds exciting her. Given my chipmunk experience last time, at this stage of the game I just let her have at it finding, bumping, and chasing quail. Back at the clubhouse I noticed there was beer in the keg so I relaxed on the deck while we all cooled off.

Here is Ginger getting after it:

Here is her pointing the first birds we got into:

This is my 12 year-old swamper, who will help me nail grouse this Fall:

"I know they're in here somewhere!"

"Boy does this feel good! I hope there aren't snapping turtles...."

The last point of the day, up a little berm, almost back at the clubhouse.

And finally me, Gar-dog. Sorry, but it was too dang hot to smile!

jakemaster

Re: Training Day with Pics

Post by jakemaster » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:55 pm

Looks like a great day for both! Where is the sweat? Hats off to you I know my dog would love to get out and work but I cant stand this heat 8)

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:21 pm

jakemaster wrote:Looks like a great day for both! Where is the sweat? Hats off to you I know my dog would love to get out and work but I cant stand this heat 8)
Hah! We tried to stay along shaded tree-lines as much as possible. Luckily it was a very dry day and not muggy at all. I have to work the dog - she was born last September and so will just be 12 months come hunting season. She was supposed to be with a trainer this month and next, but some people don't pick-up their dogs when they say they are going to :evil: He cannot take her until late August now, which means just one month of pro training before hunting season. Not what I had planned. Plus, with the rest of the family travelling so much of the summer, she gets stuck home a lot during the day and I have to get kids over during the day to walk her. Not at all ideal, and not at all what I had planned. I find myself scrambling all of the sudden.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:38 pm

Don't get too stressed out. Next year after she has a season in the field is when a trainer will do you the most good. This fall she just needs some exposure to birds so she can figure what to do and you can see where she needs help.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Brushbustin Sporting Dogs

Post by Brushbustin Sporting Dogs » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:58 pm

I like her. Looks like your doing great with socializing her to things. She'll do good know worry on the training part as long as she has manners you'll be okay this year she'll mess up but she'll learn alot from that though. Do her some justice and trim that hair of the end of her tail :wink:

Good Luck
Rob
Robert Myers

Rajin Kennel

308-870-3448

Brittanys are Best enough said...

BBD's Ca-Ching
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1061

Brushbustin's Ebbie SH
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=678

BNJ's Dirty Dozen Dixie
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=869

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:14 am

Looks like fun Gary!

I've been pestering Pete daily about getting Blaze back to him sooner than scheduled (August 23rd) without success also. The man is too busy!! I've already made my "spring tune up" reservations for Blaze (Jan. 10th) so I don't run into this again.

Just be careful in this heat. Sometimes the dogs don't know when to quit and can really make themselves sick. We (Pete & clients) were finished training by 8:30 yesterday morning because of the heat.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

jakemaster

Post by jakemaster » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:28 pm

Don't get too stressed out. Next year after she has a season in the field is when a trainer will do you the most good. This fall she just needs some exposure to birds so she can figure what to do and you can see where she needs help.

Ezzy
He is right. Thats what I did with my girl. Not that I planned it that way just lucked into it wish I would have known about this site sooner.I did the Mrs Friz way of learning " Get messy make mistakes" . During hunting season we just went out and found birds and had fun ( well she did I got frustrated at times but stayed calm) then sent her to Yawallac for training. What a great difference! Little did I know but I got her loving me and crazy about birds and Ross channeled her. :lol:

sambuca

Post by sambuca » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:30 pm

Gar-Dog,

Looks like Ginger is having a blast. Karen is right, be careful in this heat. At least she's a swimmer and can cool down.

Another thing... while you're out, make her listen. At some point, my puppy Sammy started having so much fun and he learned to ignore my commands when out of reach. This set his training WAY back.

Sambuca

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:40 pm

that is a great looking dog, good luck

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:33 pm

Thanks for the compliment, Cowboy. Sambuca, so far she is pretty obedient in the field - and of course she has the e-collar, although I barely recall using it much last time. We'll see how that goes as she grows more confident. Frankly she is ranging out just about where I want her right now. I was a little nervous our first time out because of the chipmunk thing. This time we really got into birds and that changed that behavior pretty quick. The wife and kids are headed out of town and the next two weekends I'll have all "gar-dog" time. Ginger and I will spend a lot of time together!

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:41 pm

thatll be the best thing for her, get her inem' deep. She looks like she has the whol epointing thing down, now its just a matter of time before she puts 2 and 2 together. That will be a great day, and it doesnt look too far off.