Pigeons in Confined Areas/Neighborhoods

Chukar Chaser

Pigeons in Confined Areas/Neighborhoods

Post by Chukar Chaser » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:09 pm

I live in a neighborhood where the homes are very close to eachother. I have no back yard, but have a side yard that is about 15' x 55' which is where I am thinging about putting a pigoen loft. I have a great field to train in across the street and would love to have some homers. Only thing is I'm afraid the neighbors will get frustrated with a bunch of pigeons flying all over the place. If anyone has the same situaition, please let me know how it is working out for you.

Thanks!
Brian

WiskeyJaR

Re: Pigeons in Confined Areas/Neighborhoods

Post by WiskeyJaR » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:29 pm

I too am in town, have neighbors to both sides, have 8-10 birds that fly every day. I have only seen my pigeons on their roofs a couple of times, but they sure like hanging out on my roof :P So far, no complaints from neighbors.
Im no pigeon expert, as this is me frist year raising pigeons, but I would think with the open field across the street they would have enough room, leaving and coming to loft.

battman1

Post by battman1 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:36 pm

I only have 1 nieghbor, but mine go set on his roof sometimes.I worried about it for awhile but thought other birds set up there too.He hasn't said anything anyways.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:28 pm

I'm in a city.

Check the city/town by laws. follow the rules and your're free to go. ( Our bylaws restricts the number of birds, the distance the pen has to be from the neighbours and the times you can release the birds/train.)

If you don't follow the bylaws, sooner ot later someone will complain.

PS Who owns the field? You should get permission or sooner or later.........
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Richard *UT*

Post by Richard *UT* » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:59 pm

If you fly the birds hungry, as in not feeding the pigeons the day they fly, and then feed them shortly (Half hour) after they fly, then they will enter the loft much quicker. Some people wistle or make some kind of distinguishing noise while the birds are feeding and the birds are still homeing to the loft, then when they make the noise while the birds are out, the birds know it is time to feed and will enter the loft. If you have a pigeon that hates entering the loft and will stay out alot, then make him a shooter. Good luck
Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1618