Dog pricing

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Re: Dog pricing

Post by wems2371 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:27 am

TrueBlu Shorthairs wrote:Denise, what "homes", they are all in holes in the grounds, at best.
Had a sick feeling someone was going to say that..........
No Barkride, it does not take 50 to get one worth trialing, it involves sire and dam that are producers, that lines have proven to cross well many times or linebreeding properly, putting pups in the right homes, with the right opportunities, NOT killing 'em until you get the 1% that is worth the money. You've got it DEAD backwards.
..........but glad to see it doesn't have to be the norm AND I think that paragraph is spot-on. Denise

Better Birddogs

Post by Better Birddogs » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:44 am

TrueBlu Shorthairs wrote:Barkride, it does not take 50 to get one worth trialing, it involves sire and dam that are producers, that lines have proven to cross well many times or linebreeding properly, putting pups in the right homes, with the right opportunities, NOT killing 'em until you get the 1% that is worth the money. You've got it DEAD backwards.

Bottom line...as the old axiom says, "if you have to ask how much", you can't afford it!! Get back on the porch!!

This from a guy whose proven parents don't even compete at the highest level. Pretty narrow minded.

Barkridge is talkin about running dogs at the highest level Tru. Something you don't do. Major Circuit big boy land. Talk about getting back on the porch, at least some people have gotten off. You should try it.

I'm sorry. NO pup is worth 1000. The mentality of your post Tru is exactly why trials are a dying sport and why back yard breeders are more popular then ever. To say that the guy who asks how much is the guy who can't afford it is the single dumbest thing I've seen written on this site yet. I call that being money conscious. I see nothing wrong with that.

As dog people we should be humbled by and appreciate every perspective buyer no matter how much money they have or don't have.

I have given winning puppy and derby prospects to new folks in the trial community just so they'll come out and run. Growing our sport is what its all about. Not to some I guess.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:53 am

Sure seem's to me that a lot of people are giving a lot of reason's that pups are worth as much as a lot are selling for. How many of you will guarentee a trial winner for $1000? Or are you simply recovering as much or the cost of your sport as you can?

Denise,

So whats the answer? Did you tell these people that though there was something wrong with pups so cheap why you were selling so cheap? Or did you just rasie the price so you could get rid of the pups on some belief that the quality was there? Maybe it was and maybe it wasn't, I don't know much about Weimaraners. I found out long ago that what someone is willing to pay for a pup is no guarentee that the pup will get a good home.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:21 am

This thread has some real players talking people. pay attention.
Sweet. It's about time. When they gonna chime in and post something? :lol: :lol:

TrueBlu Shorthairs

Post by TrueBlu Shorthairs » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:00 am

Betterbirddogs, might gain a little knowledge of my dogs and their parents and their parents -------- EDIT---the rest of this sentence did nothing but insult a memberand raise questions about the poster so it was deleted. Ezzy

Better Birddogs

Post by Better Birddogs » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:10 am

TrueBlu Shorthairs wrote:Betterbirddogs, might gain a little knowledge of my dogs and their parents and their parents before posting .

Maybe I missed what brace you were in at Ames this year or what brace you were in at the National Shooting Dog CH. I didn't think so. Good try pretender.

We have a good conversation going. Let's try to keep it that way please.

BB

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:20 am

BB, I agree that it's silly to pay $1000 for a pup. I would maybe pay $350 to $500. That's a nice Pointer in your avatar. Why the rope? Afraid it will run off? :lol:
big steve

Better Birddogs

Post by Better Birddogs » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:28 am

big steve46 wrote:BB, I agree that it's silly to pay $1000 for a pup. I would maybe pay $350 to $500. That's a nice Pointer in your avatar. Why the rope? Afraid it will run off? :lol:

Thanks Steve. He is 9 months old in that pic and I was trying to steady him up a little bit. I like to have a little control over then when they are that age. He wasn't ready for a collar a that point in his life. He is a Rain Water son out of my Rain Cloud bitch. He was/is nice.

.................and yes Steve I was a little afraid of him at times. When they go in there 1000 yards part of you wonders if they're comin back! Part of me does at least!

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:08 am

BB, Again, very nice dog! If he's that nice at 9 mos., he's gonna be tremendous looking later. I like to see all good-looking dogs even if they are not Setters! 8)
big steve

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:41 am

Big Steve,

Some people use a rope while others just hold on to the collar with their left hand. :roll: :roll:

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:15 pm

Hey Ezzy, Where do ya git them there ropes? Gotta save up my money and git me one! :lol:
big steve

TrueBlu Shorthairs

Post by TrueBlu Shorthairs » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:34 pm

Better, you want to keep the posts on the topic, then you should practice what you preach. I do not breed "birddawgs", I breed GSPs. We do not set our standards based on pointer trials, but on GSP events. This is where you guys get confused, we breeders should be working toward producing better GSPs, therefore competing against predominently GSPs. Beating Weims, Brits, and yes, Pointers, does not prove anything about the quality, level of performance, and comparative quaility of our GSPs. We compete against our own breed in championships to prove that our specimen of our chosen breed is hopefully one of the best. Weekend trials were made as proving grounds and to place dogs to qualify to move on to the higher levels, therefore they should be all breed IMHO. Being the only shorthair in an all Weim trial and winning, proves little about your GSP. Same would be proven in running a shorthair in an all pointer trial. Our GSPs do compete at the highest level, Quail Championship, NGSPA Nationals, GSPCA Nationals, etc. My dogs have those wins and placements to prove they do compete at the "highest level". Maybe you view Ames as "THE highest level", I do not.

And, no if one cannot afford the $1,000 for my pup, then how is he going to afford the $10,000 per year to compete with the dog, or the same amount to hunt the dog as he should be hunted? He isn't. Therefore, buy a $200 newspaper pup, hope the dog is healthy enough and has enough desire to actually hunt, and go on your merry way. But, don't call me for a pup that will be wasted by being stuck in the backyard and hunted two days a year.

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:36 pm

Don wrote:
zzweims wrote:I charge between $1000-$1500 for my pups. Even I find this ridiculously high. So a couple of years ago, I lowered my price in hopes of attracting better homes. Well, it backfired. People called and asked me what was wrong with my pups. Afterall, puppymills get at least $1000 for pups out of parents with no titles at all. If I charge less, people think they are getting an inferior product.

Aline
http://sitekreator.com/zzfarms
Did you tell any of these people that you simply thought the prices were to high and you were looking for good homes? Did you offer to put the sire and/or dame down and show what they could do? Just courious. This is not the first time I've heard this and not only from Weimaraner breeders.
Yes, of course. And I encourage all prospective puppy buyers to come to our farm and hunt over the parents and/or older siblings before buying a pup. The point is, some people expect to pay more for quality (and some don't). If the price isn't right, they question the quality. It isn't just a weim thing. It isn't even just a dog thing.

There is something else to consider on these high priced pups. Most breeders I know, myself included, give some pups away for free or at greatly reduced prices, to people we know. So the 'average' price of a pup is considerably less than $1000. That's the fee paid by strangers.

Aline

Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:48 pm

Dave Quindt wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:And now we know why the average family isn't trialing and why the numbers are down. We are talking a rich mans game and I do mean game. Spend the money Dave talks about and there still isn't a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
Ezzy
Numbers down? Where?

Retriever field trials are the most expensive hunting dog game to play, with retriever hunt tests not a ton cheaper. The retriever folks are struggling with entries; not a lack of entries but how to manage the huge numbers of entries they do have. There is talk of limiting the number of dogs each pro can enter per trial, or running amateur-only trials because they can't get enough help to hold trials that can handle all of the entries.
Ditto for the pointing breeds here in Georgia. A decade ago, we used to pray for enough entries not to cancel a stake and were thrilled to get a 2-pointer. Today, there are twice as many AKC clubs and some are going to 4 day trials. 4-5 point majors are the norm, even in the juvenile stakes. And you'd better get your entries in on opening day, or you're out of luck. There was a trial I really wanted to get my bitch into last year to qualify her for the nationals, so I drove to the secretary's house to hand deliver the entry at midnight. There was a line.

Aline
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:52 pm

zzweims wrote:
Dave Quindt wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:And now we know why the average family isn't trialing and why the numbers are down. We are talking a rich mans game and I do mean game. Spend the money Dave talks about and there still isn't a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
Ezzy
Numbers down? Where?

Retriever field trials are the most expensive hunting dog game to play, with retriever hunt tests not a ton cheaper. The retriever folks are struggling with entries; not a lack of entries but how to manage the huge numbers of entries they do have. There is talk of limiting the number of dogs each pro can enter per trial, or running amateur-only trials because they can't get enough help to hold trials that can handle all of the entries.
Ditto for the pointing breeds here in Georgia. A decade ago, we used to pray for enough entries not to cancel a stake and were thrilled to get a 2-pointer. Today, there are twice as many AKC clubs and some are going to 4 day trials. 4-5 point majors are the norm, even in the juvenile stakes. And you'd better get your entries in on opening day, or you're out of luck. There was a trial I really wanted to get my bitch into last year to qualify her for the nationals, so I drove to the secretary's house to hand deliver the entry at midnight. There was a line.

Aline
We're seeing the same thing around here, especially with gun dog stakes. Our first trial this season already has 44 entries in their OGD stake! And we didn't run in one last season with less than 30 entries. Gotta love those 5 point majors!!
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:56 pm

10 grand a year to hunt? Man you need to move to a better state. We drive 20 min at most and see hundreds of wild pheas and quail. I hear the quail right behind my house calling every day, pheas right in back in the CRP too.

I wish I had the kind of money you guys throw away on this "sport". Mine goes towards a kids future, her college costs and my sons college money we are putting away for his education.

A grand isnt too much for a pup you really want. Cant say it is foolish, I have seen others spend lot more for their fun stuff.

When we go to the range and shoot clays there is always a bunch of guys have guns cost them upwards of 10 grand, just for their fun. I shoot my 500.00 remington, suits me fine tho.

Been to a few fieldtrials, liked em but cant afford to play that game, but I do hunt, yep, a lot. Have a lot of pics to look at in my declining years of limits and the dogs that got them for me. That is why they were bred, to hunt and get game for the table. The contest thing is mans ego, nothing important, just so a guy can say looky here at what I did..... My dogs are my friends and companion, we hunt together, play together, he has my back if someone gets onto my property and keeps varmints down. No time to play them games, got other things takes up too much of my time, like raising kids and some cows.

Sure wish I was better off money wise, but wouldnt trade what I have for it.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

PowerPoint

Post by PowerPoint » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:03 pm

I would pay 1,000 bucks for a pup out of Silver bullet X Miller's lady bird :D

Ryan Baumann

Post by Ryan Baumann » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:06 pm

markj wrote:10 grand a year to hunt? Man you need to move to a better state. We drive 20 min at most and see hundreds of wild pheas and quail. I hear the quail right behind my house calling every day, pheas right in back in the CRP too.

I wish I had the kind of money you guys throw away on this "sport". Mine goes towards a kids future, her college costs and my sons college money we are putting away for his education.

A grand isnt too much for a pup you really want. Cant say it is foolish, I have seen others spend lot more for their fun stuff.

When we go to the range and shoot clays there is always a bunch of guys have guns cost them upwards of 10 grand, just for their fun. I shoot my 500.00 remington, suits me fine tho.

Been to a few fieldtrials, liked em but cant afford to play that game, but I do hunt, yep, a lot. Have a lot of pics to look at in my declining years of limits and the dogs that got them for me. That is why they were bred, to hunt and get game for the table. The contest thing is mans ego, nothing important, just so a guy can say looky here at what I did..... My dogs are my friends and companion, we hunt together, play together, he has my back if someone gets onto my property and keeps varmints down. No time to play them games, got other things takes up too much of my time, like raising kids and some cows.

Sure wish I was better off money wise, but wouldnt trade what I have for it.
Ding, ding , ding, we have a winner. Thats why some of the best dogs reside in the back yards and are bred there. The true hunter knows what he wants and exactly what he needs. Thats why we breed our own.

Ryan.

Cap gun games are fun and theres know doudts the dogs are nice. But there's nothing like playing it in real life on wild birds.

Better Birddogs

Post by Better Birddogs » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:19 pm

TrueBlu Shorthairs wrote: Maybe you view Ames as "THE highest level", I do not.

I don't think I'm alone in this. I maybe wrong but I'd put a nickel or two that I'm not.

All I'm saying is don't confuse dogs that compete at the highest levels of breed club trials as competing at "the highest level" and then try to market pups out of them as such. It's dishonest and misleading. My very first birddogs were brittanys that came from Bob Lanham. One was a male out of Renegade's Kansas Kid x Lobo's Cotton Candy. The second was a female pup out of Beans Blaze and Lobo's Sugar Babe. $400 a piece. What do you brittany folks think those would go for today? Bob had common sense. Many breeders today are so kennel blind with their own stuff that they can't see the forest for the trees. Those two brittany pups were (and still are IMHO) bred as good as it gets in any brittany breeding. Kid won the amateur at 10 years old with 10 finds. I challenge anyone to find two pups of any breed that were comparatively bred for $400.

Oh wait, I sell well bred pups for $250.

......and have never once had anyone question the quality.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:33 pm

Curious. How long ago did you buy those Brittanys for $400 apiece?

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:04 pm

That avatar is one wierd looking britt there.... :)
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Better Birddogs

Post by Better Birddogs » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:07 pm

I'll play along Gar. I'm not busy this afternoon. I bred those two dogs a few times and kept a pup out of their last litter in 1999. I took that bitch (after many trial wins and placements in ALL BREED trials tru blue) and had her implanted with semen out of Noble Rocket (Judy Johnson is a very nice lady BTW). Imagine the pedigree on that alone Gar. Probably better then your avatar dog I'd bet. Let alone the 500 for the semen, 275 to have it shipped, 15 progesterones at 25 a whack and 400 for the procedure got me 11 pups. 9 females and 2 males. Put them on fielddog.com for 400 per pup held none back. All pups gone in under 24 hours. One guy wanted all 11. The point you ask? I'm gettin there. My responsibility as a trialer and birdhunter is to grow my sport that I love dearly. With gas at 4 bucks a gallon, electric bills through the roof and groceries at a premium the average joe should be able to try my sport with a quality dog that he can be proud of and I can provide him with a quality dog at a price he can live with then I'm upholding my responsibility to my sport and maybe, just maybe by bringing them in one at a time my sport doesn't fizzle away. You guys don't get it and you never will. Tru Blue says if a guy asks him how much a dog is then they're done talking because obviously he can't afford one of his pups. Is that where we are now? Are we better then the person who calls us looking for what we have? What kind of nonsense is this way of thinking?

I am not better then nor I am above anyone who comes to my place to look at a dog and I never will be. I started out the same as those folks and I have not forgotten where I came from. Some of you have and some of you need a reality check.

PowerPoint

Post by PowerPoint » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:11 pm

YOU GO BB,You are the MAN! :D

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:12 pm

My most recent prospect is by DC Havapal's Renegade Billy Boy (an Aux Arc Mark grandson) out of FC W-Haven's Moose & Dixie's Kim (a Kid and Rum Runner granddaughter). Paid $500 for her, but had to travel to MO to pick her up....that cost me $300, and it would have cost the same to have her shipped, I checked that first.

The same pup, had the breeding available in NJ, would have run me $900-1000. Kind of a wash.

I should note that I was also given a dog by a breeder in my area....top notch show prospect who is going to make a very nice horseback gun dog also. There were some strings attached, but they were strings I could absolutely live with. He usually sells pups for $800-900 each. This pup was free to a competition home.
Last edited by Karen on Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

Better Birddogs

Post by Better Birddogs » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:14 pm

markj wrote:That avatar is one wierd looking britt there.... :)
He's a hybrid Mark! He's the Japanese version. I sold all of my britts after realizing I couldn't compete in the arena I wanted to. I love the American Brittany and always will.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:28 pm

BB~You're so right, a little humility goes a long way in this world. :wink: 8)

Doug

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:34 pm

Hey, quit making fun of my dog!!!! :)

You say the last litter from the dogs you bought for $400 was in 1999 - so I guess you bought them in the early '90s? Frankly that is about $700 apiece in today's dollars.

And fyi, I am not a trialer, just a hunter. All the Britts within my area are $800 - $1000 - it is what it is. I went with a breeder that I got comfortable with and was in the area and they have already given me a lot of invaluable "aftermarket support" and got me into the training club I belong to. Great people. The money wasn't a huge deal to me - a couple of hundred either way wasn't going to sway my decision. I got not just the dog but the full support of the breeders who I see a couple of times a month now. As a newbie this was very important to me - i realize more now than last year. I did talk to some folks in NC and AZ, but by the time you figure shipping costs it was a wash.

What's this japanese hybrid BS??????? :(

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:09 pm

The various better than thou attitudes in this thread have ceased to be amusing.

Greg J.

Better Birddogs

Post by Better Birddogs » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:14 pm

[quote="gar-dog"] What's this japanese hybrid BS??????? :(

It was a joke Gar. Those are nice britts for sure. I'll have to scan some pics of my old britts and upload them. Nice pics.

LarryLowell

Post by LarryLowell » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:15 pm

Better Birddogs wrote:I was wondering what makes a dog worth 5000. What makes 8 week old pups worth a 1000. I feel that there are very few dogs in the world that are worth 5000 and furthermore if a dog is truly worth that then there should be no reason he is for sale. JMO. I'd like to hear a little philosophy behind the pricing of dogs for sale. I have bred a few litters (50-75) and sold most of my pups for 250-400. That includes pups out of Shadows Mark, Miller's Online, House's Rain Water, House's Rain Cloud, Miller's White Powder and so on. Just wanting to hear people's thoughts.

BB

BB

Let me start by saying we all want different thing in life and $5000 you may be a drop in the hat for someone else. The same with $1000 pup.

Lets start with the pups. I normally sell my GSPs for $600-$700. Alot of the other breeders in the area are selling GSP pups for $800-$1200. You find the Show people asking more for their dogs, and it seem like the Field Trail guys are starting to ask for more and are getting more now days too, these are for GSPs, again $800-$1200. Alot of guys sell a rare breed pup for more, just because its a rare breed. I've seen Weimys and V's going for $1200 each. As far as my GSP pup verses a Show bred pup that a hunter is lookng for my pup have more value to the hunter. If a Show Breeder is getting more why shouldnt I. If I feel my pups have more in the way of Natural Ability and Trainability verses other breeds that are getting $1200 WHY shouldnt I get the same amount for my pups. Area for Area and breed for breed etc... will push the value of a pup and or dog. All that said it becomes supply and demand. If you have a market and are selling your dogs fast you can ask more. If you get it good for you.

As for a $5000 dog. Well feel any good Broke dog is worth $5000. Heres how I come to that value.
1) $600-$700 in puppy value.
2) $400-$500 a year value when you add up dog food and shots times 3 years $1200-$1500 plus
3) Dog Training at $500 a month 3 months for the first year $1500 and 3 to 4 for the second year $1500-$2000 total money spent in training to reach the level of being Steady to Wing Shot and Fall until sent for the retrieve is $3000-$3500 thats if you used a Pro trainer. If you trained the dog yourself the dog will still hold value the same training value.
4) Any extra expences, Field Trial or Hunt Test entry fees.
5) Seasoned hunting dogs are made by being hunted alot so there is value in that too.

So do the math and you can see why some dogs are going for $5000 or more.

IMO a 1-2 year old Green Started (steady to Flush) dog has a value of $2500 depending on the dog. Now if the Seller has several dog and hes asking $2500 for some, you know some will look nicer, have better stlye than others, and maybe one or two will be better Birddogs, now that price of those two just went up, to maybe $3000-$3500.

IMO a 2-3 year old Green Broke Dog has a value of $5000 when you add up all the money spent on just the pup and training yourat almost that price.

IMO as a Started dog becomes a seasoned Hunting dog at 3-5 years old his value goes way up $3500-$5000
IMO as the Broke dogs becomes a more seasoned dog His value has "NO" Top End. If the dog is a FC or AFC along with being a great hunting dog, your talking alot of hard work has been put into this dog. And alot of money has been spent on this dog.

If your in the Dog Business, as a Breeder or Trainer, your NOT in it to lose money, so you have to keep records of money spent on each dog, starting with the cost of the pup, shipping, food, shots, training fees or expences, or rates, etc... etc... etc...IMO why keep a dog and train it to any level if your not going to make some money. If I was to keep a dog for 2 years and sell it for $2000 I'm losing money because again I have $800 in food and shots plus my $600-$700 puppy fee, plus 3 months of training at $500 a month thats $2900-$3000, I would have been better off just selling the pup for $600-$700, and I would have saved myself two years of raising the dog plus the time invested into training the dog.

So the value is what the market calls for in your area, and for your dogs individually. If someone is willing to dump their price people will alway remember dont by now because you'll eventually dump your prices. If someone holds their price they may hold on to their dogs longer, but if people want them bad enough they will sell. What it come down to is people want a good dog thats going to find them game. As a buyer you can go play around with all the crap dogs out their, and spend alot of money in small amounts looking for THE DOG, but eventually when your willing to spend the money your going to find the better dog, as long as you do your research first, and look at the dog first in person.

If your a person whos gone out an bought a pup and done it all yourself. Think back to the money you've invested into your dog, in geting him trained, whats your time worth ? gas, birds, shells other training equipment, the cost of the puppy, any shipping, food, shots etc.. etc... etc.... if you were to sell your dog to make a profit what would you have to sell it for $$$$ ?????? IMO alot of people have dogs valued at $5000 at least if its broke, or is a seasoned hunting dog.
Last edited by LarryLowell on Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Better Birddogs

Post by Better Birddogs » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:29 pm

Larry thats an informative post for sure. I guess I am still of the belief that a dogs value should be determined by its ability and not the money I chose to pour into it. Just because I pour a pile of money into him it doesn't make him worth that money. I agree fully that a CH dog should fetch more cash but in my mind its because said dog has demonstrated the ability to compete at a high level. It should have nothing to do with the gas you put in your truck to get him there.

Greg seems to think that I'm talking down to people on the board so if you feel that way let me apologize now. That's not my intent. I feel we have a pretty good conversation going here but it has now become clear to me that if you cross paths with Tru Blue Shorthairs that Greg Jennings will interject and chastise you. I was unaware of that also. My bad.

LarryLowell

Post by LarryLowell » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:46 pm

Better Birddogs wrote:Larry thats an informative post for sure. I guess I am still of the belief that a dogs value should be determined by its ability and not the money I chose to pour into it. Just because I pour a pile of money into him it doesn't make him worth that money. I agree fully that a CH dog should fetch more cash but in my mind its because said dog has demonstrated the ability to compete at a high level. It should have nothing to do with the gas you put in your truck to get him there.

A Green dog is just that a young dog that has shown the ability but hasnt applyed it to real use yet, basicly still needs to learn the real world stuff. They are worth the value put into them with out showing any real world proven abiltiy other than out in the training fields.

We all put money into our young dogs. IMO a dog that has demenstrated the natrual ability and trainability to get to the point that hes broke, has shown hes worth the money that was put into him. Therefore a value is set.

I'm in the Dog Business as a Breeder and Trainer. I cant afford to work for free, or to fool myself into thinking that I'm making money when I'm not. I wont spend my money on a worthless dog thats going to end up costing me money. If I'm selling a dog its because I feel the dog is a nice dog, thats going to make someone a GREAT hunting dog. As a Trainer and Breeder we live off our reputation. If you have crap dogs thats what your reputation is going to be, if your a hard worker and honest and have nice dogs you'll have a reputation for that.

Larry Lowell
Last edited by LarryLowell on Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ryan Baumann

Post by Ryan Baumann » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:48 pm

Greg seems to think that I'm talking down to people on the board so if you feel that way let me apologize now. That's not my intent. I feel we have a pretty good conversation going here but it has now become clear to me that if you cross paths with Tru Blue Shorthairs that Greg Jennings will interject and chastise you. I was unaware of that also. My bad.

I've had the same problem with true blue. He like to dish it out but can't take it. He's also probly called his buddies to come chime in. Just wait.

This has been a very good thread. People just can't stand hearing the truth.

Ryan.

LarryLowell

Post by LarryLowell » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:57 pm

Better Birddogs wrote:Larry thats an informative post for sure. I guess I am still of the belief that a dogs value should be determined by its ability and not the money I chose to pour into it. Just because I pour a pile of money into him it doesn't make him worth that money. .
Let me also add, if the dog is a nice dog why shouldnt you get back the money you poured into him if your needing to sell him.

Your first post you ask how can people sell dogs for $5000 or how do they come up with that value. So again I think most people who have a nice broke dog have put at least that much into their dog over a 3 year period. For people that dont want to go the road of puppy and training and want to buy the older trained dog outright why should the values be less for them ?

Larry Lowell

Ryan Baumann

Post by Ryan Baumann » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:02 pm

LarryLowell wrote:
Better Birddogs wrote:Larry thats an informative post for sure. I guess I am still of the belief that a dogs value should be determined by its ability and not the money I chose to pour into it. Just because I pour a pile of money into him it doesn't make him worth that money. .
Let me also add, if the dog is a nice dog why shouldnt you get back the money you poured into him if your needing to sell him.

Your first post you ask how can people sell dogs for $5000 or how do they come up with that value. So again I think most people who have a nice broke dog have put at least that much into their dog over a 3 year period. For people that dont want to go the road of puppy and training and want to buy the older trained dog outright why should the values be less for them ?

Larry Lowell

Hey larry there born with it. I don't know how much training your talking about?????? Its not difficult to start a dog out. If you have him started right it should only cost you a month worth of training to finish him at a pro's if you choose.

Ryan

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:11 pm

I'm still trying to figure out why all the hostility because someone is charging more than someone else and getting it. Maybe we should go to communism and all dog pricing will be set at $250--regardless. Or maybe we can get an "expert" dog pricing czar to determine the selling price for all puppies. Seems like we have a few candidates. Be careful though it only pays minimum wage, and I've decided that's too high and we ought to roll it back to $3.25 an hour. :roll: Denise

BTW--I am looking at my local paper now, which is generated out of city community of 200,000 (maybe 250,000 can't remember)--not to mention all the rural areas. There are two gsp litter ads. One ad is priced at $400-$450 and the other at $400. Zero Brittanies. Zero pointers. Zero Setters. One litter of weims at $250 and two freeadult weims. A million lab litters from $200-$500. Two ESS litters $150 & $250. One Chesepeake litter at $500. One Irish Setter litter at $175. Golden Retrievers litters $300-$450..............AND Chweenies (chihuahua/dachshund) for $200, Cockapoos (cocker/poodle) $195 and up, Goldendoodles (G Ret./Poodle) $500, Labradoodles $500, Maltipoos $300, Pap-tese (papillion/maltese) $395, and Yorki Chihuahuas $300. Isn't it interesting that the cross-outs can bring more than the purebreds they originate from. What are newspaper pups in other parts of the country bringing?

TrueBlu Shorthairs

Post by TrueBlu Shorthairs » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:40 pm

Yep, I left the office and called Larry to come save me from you meanies. for god's sake!! Larry, give them evidence and they'll just call you wrong.

Better, you had brits way back in 1998? So long ago? Let's see, did you run those dogs at Ames?? If not, they weren't proven, right? Just thought we should make sure you practice what you preach! Tell us what brace and what year you ran your brits please??

I doubt if too many do pay $10,000 to hunt. Most slodge around public lands, see a few birds, hunt 10 days a year and call themselves hunters. Others, and yes, many I know spend far more than $10,000 a year on just their bird lease here in Texas. Many also spend far more than that $10,000 on campaigning a dog. Some are just in different income brackets than others.

My favorite part of most of these threads is when the 10 day a year hunter makes the claim that if you trial you must not be a hunter. Flat isn't the case with me and many others. My dogs will see around 500 coveys of wild quail in a decent year, around 25 days and 20 coveys per day if your counting. Don't assume that trialing and hunting are mutually exclusive.

I assure you that Greg allows anyone to disagree as long as it isn't an attack, which this had become close to when BetterBirdDogs wrote...."This from a guy whose proven parents don't even compete at the highest level. Pretty narrow minded.

Barkridge is talkin about running dogs at the highest level Tru. Something you don't do. Major Circuit big boy land. Talk about getting back on the porch, at least some people have gotten off. You should try it".

I'm not sure what that little snippet has to do with puppy prices!!

Ryan Baumann

Post by Ryan Baumann » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:19 pm

TrueBlu Shorthairs wrote:Yep, I left the office and called Larry to come save me from you meanies. for god's sake!! Larry, give them evidence and they'll just call you wrong.

Better, you had brits way back in 1998? So long ago? Let's see, did you run those dogs at Ames?? If not, they weren't proven, right? Just thought we should make sure you practice what you preach! Tell us what brace and what year you ran your brits please??

I doubt if too many do pay $10,000 to hunt. Most slodge around public lands, see a few birds, hunt 10 days a year and call themselves hunters. Others, and yes, many I know spend far more than $10,000 a year on just their bird lease here in Texas. Many also spend far more than that $10,000 on campaigning a dog. Some are just in different income brackets than others.

My favorite part of most of these threads is when the 10 day a year hunter makes the claim that if you trial you must not be a hunter. Flat isn't the case with me and many others. My dogs will see around 500 coveys of wild quail in a decent year, around 25 days and 20 coveys per day if your counting. Don't assume that trialing and hunting are mutually exclusive.

I assure you that Greg allows anyone to disagree as long as it isn't an attack, which this had become close to when BetterBirdDogs wrote...."This from a guy whose proven parents don't even compete at the highest level. Pretty narrow minded.

Barkridge is talkin about running dogs at the highest level Tru. Something you don't do. Major Circuit big boy land. Talk about getting back on the porch, at least some people have gotten off. You should try it".

I'm not sure what that little snippet has to do with puppy prices!!

Read this everyone!!!!! SHOW US THE PICTURES YOU HAVE BIG BOY. LOOK AT THE COVEY COUNT HE POSTED..... I ONLY WORK 12 DAYS A MONTH AND MOST OF THE OTHER TIME I AM HUNTING 3 STATES AND THIS YEAR WILL BE 5 STATES WITH MY CHEAP PROVEN BOOTLICKERS. :lol: NOW SHOW US THE PICTURES!!!! I'LL GLADLY SHOW YOU MINE!!!!1 :lol: HOW MANY COVEYS??????? HE DID SAY FIVE HUNDRED COVEYS A YEAR????? MUST BE A BAD SHOT???? HIM AND HIS BUDDYS. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ryan.

Can true blues post please go into the hall of fame???? Its absolutely awesome. :lol:

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:45 pm

Will all the braggers, legitimate or otherwise--get back to the topic? Then again, I'm not sure in the free world marketplace if this is a legitamate topic or just another chip-on-the-shoulder, mean spirited, spin-off. Now exiting a thread with no purpose in sight................ :roll: Denise

LarryLowell

Post by LarryLowell » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:48 pm

[quote="Ryan Baumann

Hey larry there born with it. I don't know how much training your talking about?????? Its not difficult to start a dog out. If you have him started right it should only cost you a month worth of training to finish him at a pro's if you choose.

Ryan[/quote]

Well Ryan it may not be difficult to start a dog out, but it takes time and repetiton to get it done right. I myself am a Pro Trainer. I do this for a living. It normally takes 3 months to Start a dog out right. That inclueds, Gun Condition a dog properly, Stopping on first scent, Working on Patience on Point starting with a pinch collar, then transfering that over to the e-collar, Patience on Point until you can walk up and kick the bird out of his resting place, Free running to work on handling in the field, teaching basic obedience, and shooting birds to work on the natural retrieve. There is no such thing as speed training a dog, it takes time and lots of repetition.

Also I dont know what planet you come from BUT takes more than a month to break a dog Steady to Wing and Shot and Fall until sent to retrieve, Stop to flush, and to Back. This process takes between 3-4 months to get it right. I will add that most do it yourself guys that end up sending the dog to a Pro to finish the dog off, end up screw up along the way and that in and of itself takes time to fix. In most cases the resaon the do it yourself guy sends you the dog out is because they realize they dont have the time or the know how or they screwed up. If you can do it yourself in a month why even send the dog out, you should just save yourself some money, and finish the dog yourself. I personally work a dog at his own learning pace. Your out of your mind if you think a Pro can break a dog in just one month of training. It normally takes a dog a week or two forthe dog to start eating and adjusting to being in the Kennel to get to the point we even start working a dog. So now your limiting the training to 2-3 weeks to break a dog, LOL your a Funny Guy.

Ryan Baumann

Post by Ryan Baumann » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:55 pm

LarryLowell wrote:[quote="Ryan Baumann

Ryan

Well Ryan it may not be difficult to start a dog out, but it takes time and repetiton to get it done right. I myself am a Pro Trainer. I do this for a living. It normally takes 3 months to Start a dog out right. That inclueds, Gun Condition a dog properly, Stopping on first scent, Working on Patience on Point starting with a pinch collar, then transfering that over to the e-collar, Patience on Point until you can walk up and kick the bird out of his resting place, Free running to work on handling in the field, teaching basic obedience, and shooting birds to work on the natural retrieve. There is no such thing as speed training a dog, it takes time and lots of repetition.

Also I dont know what planet you come from BUT takes more than a month to break a dog Steady to Wing and Shot and Fall until sent to retrieve, Stop to flush, and to Back. This process takes between 3-4 months to get it right. I will add that most do it yourself guys that end up sending the dog to a Pro to finish the dog off, end up screw up along the way and that in and of itself takes time to fix. In most cases the resaon the do it yourself guy sends you the dog out is because they realize they dont have the time or the know how or they screwed up. If you can do it yourself in a month why even send the dog out, you should just save yourself some money, and finish the dog yourself. I personally work a dog at his own learning pace. Your out of your mind if you think a Pro can break a dog in just one month of training.[/quote]

Well a started dog should point , back and stop to first scent doesn't it???? Plus it will have been over numerous wild birds??? like a season worth??? Before you put the finishing on it right????? plus the retrieve?????

If I'm wrong clarify a started dog????? I know there are alot of definitions but hey what yours????

LarryLowell

Post by LarryLowell » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:05 pm

Ryan

I clearly stated what training I put into dogs that are here for starting out. Below I cut and pasted from my other post. so here it is again.

" I myself am a Pro Trainer. I do this for a living. It normally takes 3 months to Start a dog out right. That inclueds, Gun Condition a dog properly, Stopping on first scent, Working on Patience on Point starting with a pinch collar, then transfering that over to the e-collar, Patience on Point until you can walk up and kick the bird out of his resting place, Free running to work on handling in the field, teaching basic obedience, and shooting birds to work on the natural retrieve. There is no such thing as speed training a dog, it takes time and lots of repetition."

I will add that I'm in a lucky spot that I get to free run all my dogs in training on wild birds two or three times a week each. BUT I dont do that until the dogs are handling for me and listening to me. I build that trust from lots of checkcord work, and once I transfer from the checkcord and pinch collar to to the e-collar we go free running. I will also add I try to break all the dogs from chasing Rabbits too.
Last edited by LarryLowell on Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryan Baumann

Post by Ryan Baumann » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:09 pm

LarryLowell wrote:Ryan

I clearly stated what training I put into, dog that are here for starting out. I just cut and pasted from my other post. so here it is again.

" I myself am a Pro Trainer. I do this for a living. It normally takes 3 months to Start a dog out right. That inclueds, Gun Condition a dog properly, Stopping on first scent, Working on Patience on Point starting with a pinch collar, then transfering that over to the e-collar, Patience on Point until you can walk up and kick the bird out of his resting place, Free running to work on handling in the field, teaching basic obedience, and shooting birds to work on the natural retrieve. There is no such thing as speed training a dog, it takes time and lots of repetition."

I will add that I'm in a lucky spot that I get to free run all my dogs in training on wild birds two or three times a week each. BUT I dont do that until the dogs are handling for me and listening to me. I build that trust from lots of checkcord work, and once I transfer from the checkcord and pinch collar to to the e-collar we go free running. I will also add I try to break all the dogs from chasing Rabbits too.
Heres a couple of my 6 month old pups and a 3 year old handling some wild birds. These are nothing more than started dogs to me. None of them have ever seen a check cord. They've just worked lots of weild birds and thats there reward. The picture is not great but two of those dogs are 6 months old in the picture.

Ryan

Here's they are at 7 months working some chickens I won at a pheasent forever banquet.

My point is they're born with it. thats it. Its not rocket science like people try to say it is. Just like the price of dogs its outrages and unnesseary. :lol:

LarryLowell

Post by LarryLowell » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:20 pm

Running a pup to get their natural abilitys out is great, and with some dogs thats all they need, just depends on what your looking for as the owner. Free running a pup on wild birds is not formal training. Formal training is checkcord work, and e-collar work. In my puppy program I do free run pups on wild birds, but not all people have areas where they can run their dogs on wild bird to bring out those natural abilitys, and in alot of cases, not all, but most, you need to do formal work on patience on point, and thats to control their greed and desire on point, from creeping and or breaking point when you start to work the bird.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:24 pm

He's a hybrid Mark! He's the Japanese version
:) :) he sure looks good to me jap or otherwise, :)

tru? 500 coveys? a year? I been told campfire tales before :)

I hunt a lot more than 10 days a year sir, Iowa is usually second only to SD on pheas production and I live out in the country smack dab in the middle of some fine wild bird land. I train on wild birds starting in sept, I did go out and get some pigions this summer but they just dont do it for me, so they are going to go and I will go back to my normal method. Just take em behind the place and get up 30 or more pheas in a session, must be 5 or 6 wild quail coveys within spittin distance as well.

10 g for a lease? Once again I wish I had that kind of cash... Why I would go out and get another dozen feeders for the ol feed lot :) bank the profit for my sons edumacation. He is only 6 now so I got a few years.

Dont knock us hunters since we dont trial. There is more to life than how much you can spend on a hobby. just dont do it for me, now if you want to get on a motorcycle and run around a bit, why I will run with ya. Went out for 9 days, up to Billings, over to Yellowstone, down thru Thermopolis and back thru Scottsbluff after going to Guernsey wy to see oregon trail stuff...... total cost under 2 grand.......total. Dont have to spend huge bucks to have a good time.....

I would spend a grand on a pup too, but not anything ft bred...or from TX, he might freeze his rear end off up here in the snow and cold :) 500 coveys of wild quail? really?
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

LarryLowell

Post by LarryLowell » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:30 pm

I will say not all dogs are born with alot of it. The good one are, and thats why its important to do your homework when picking out a pup. Out here in California things arent cheap. If your buying a $200 dog theres a good chance that it will take more time, and cost more to train that dog, and thats IF the dog has any Natural Ability. The key is finding the best bred dog you can, a breeding that was thought out and bred for Natural Ability and Trainability.

Ryan Baumann

Post by Ryan Baumann » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:43 pm

LarryLowell wrote:I will say not all dogs are born with alot of it. The good one are, and thats why its important to do your homework when picking out a pup. Out here in California things arent cheap. If your buying a $200 dog theres a good chance that it will take more time, and cost more to train that dog, and thats IF the dog has any Natural Ability. The key is finding the best bred dog you can, a breeding that was thought out and bred for Natural Ability and Trainability.
Larry that is a very good post. Thats why I say if your spending over 200 for a pup and he isn't good right out of the gates your intial invest was a bust! Then you decide since his ped is so nice but he has no natural ability you need to send him to a trainer to bring it out. Doesn't make sense to me.

By the way I am sure you are a great trainer not questioning that in any form larry.

Ryan.

LarryLowell

Post by LarryLowell » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:27 pm

Ryan

Again not everyone is in the same situation as you and myself. Not everyone has wild birds to go run and train dog on. Most of the dogs I train are for people that live in the city 2 hours from any area to run their dogs. If everyone lived in wild bird habitat there would be less habitat, holding wild birds, lol. In alot of cases its not practical for someone to train their own dog. It would end up costing them more money to do it themselfs than for them to send a dog to a Pro.

People do what they have to do, to do the things they love. Bird Hunters that hunt behind dogs that arent in the situation to train their own dogs send them out, being bred good or not isnt the point. I will say though that I feel I can get more out of lesser bred dog than an owner could, and the same for the best bred dog, with the most natural abilty. But whatever. to each his own. Spending the money on a well bred puppy or an already trained dog is worth every cent they pay if they get a more enjoyable experience out of it. Again to each his own. If you spend it in small amounts to get the job done or in one lump sum whats the difference Money spent is money spent. For the guy thats going to pay $5000 on a dog hes also going to send a dog to a trainer if he bought a pup. In the end he still spent the same amount of money, but didnt have to mess with the puppy stage and gets to go hunting right now. Again there is no right or wrong to this, and a dogs value is the money put into it. If the dogs a turd I doubt hes going to have a high price tag on him.

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:28 pm

What an interesting thread... What something is worth is whatever some else is willing to pay for it. What people are willing to pay depends on several different things that may vary tremendously from state to state or locale to locale.

Availability- How many V's are available at any given time vs pointers? Well there's probably not one V for every hundred pointers.

Demand-How many people are looking for a given breed? While the pointer guys are convinced they have what everyone needs they simply don't and there are those that will look past a 1000 pointers to get that one Weim that might make them a good dog. Why? Well it's what they want. If you offered me a choice between being given a ferrari to drive vs a new F-350 I'll take the F-350 because it fits my needs and it's what I desire to own. Same with dogs whether you accept it or not.

Breed-Again it's a function of the first two. There are far fewer Small Muensterlanders in the US than there are Pointers, and even though the breed has a small following they (SM folks) are willing to pay what it takes to get what they consider a "quality dog". Whether you agree with their definition or not is irrelevant because it's they who are writing the checks.

A whole lot of the rhetoric on this thread seems to be coming from people who are way out of touch with reality. No matter what breed of hunting dog you like, of the major AKC and AF breeds at most MAYBE 1% of that breed will ever see a hunt test or field trial of any sort. The vast majority of them will be hunted less than 30 days per year, and more and more of them will spend 90% of their time on preserves rather than hunting wild birds.

Those are simple facts and that's why very few people buying a hunting breed could give a rats rear how much money we spend trialing and testing or how many titles we put on our dogs. They are looking for dogs that can make decent hunting dogs, who don't need a professional trainer, that will find and point birds for them, hunt dead, and retrieve to some degree at least without needing to be FF'd.

About half those pups will be expected to grow into dogs that are also good family pets and so their temperament and personality (and those of their sire/dam as well) will be of as high a priority to the prospective buyer as is their natural talent and trainability. Those things will certainly mean much more to them than how many champions the dog has in it's three generation pedigree.

Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not "anti trial" I enjoy trialing and have had a good bit of success at it since I started. I do however still have my feet on the ground and remember that the "field trial world" and the "real world" are two different worlds and I think more of us need to remember that. CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

Tejas

Post by Tejas » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:05 am

wems2371 wrote:Will all the braggers, legitimate or otherwise--get back to the topic? Then again, I'm not sure in the free world marketplace if this is a legitamate topic or just another chip-on-the-shoulder, mean spirited, spin-off. Now exiting a thread with no purpose in sight................ :roll: Denise
I'm going to weigh in with Wems here. The price of dogs is what it is. If she decides that based on the market for what she is producing a pup is worth $1,000 and she is getting that price, then that is the correct price for her.

On the other hand if Better Birddogs surveys the market for what he is producing and determines that the proper price for his pups is $250, then he is correct as well.

I'm somewhat amazed that a topic begun with the apparent purpose of creating an argument has received this much response.