First heat cycle

jsd245

First heat cycle

Post by jsd245 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:40 am

My shorthair just turned a year old and has not had her first heat yet. I'm planning on going up to Maine for some grouse hunting in early October and will probably book the camp tonight. So what are the odds that she goes into heat just in time to coincide with the trip? With my luck that's exactly what will happen.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: First heat cycle

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:43 am

isn't that how it always goes
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:23 am

Count on it...hopefully you can run her alone and still enjoy it.

scout_on_38s

Post by scout_on_38s » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:32 am

I've been worrying about the same thing with my GSP. She turned 1 the middle of July. She came into heat this week. Just past 13 months. Not to hijack your thread but how long do I need to keep her away from males and hunt/train by herself?
Murphy- RIP
Cali- 3yo Black/White Ticked Patched GSP.... http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=1052
Daisy- 3mo Black/White Patched GSP

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:37 am

scout_on_38s wrote:I've been worrying about the same thing with my GSP. She turned 1 the middle of July. She came into heat this week. Just past 13 months. Not to hijack your thread but how long do I need to keep her away from males and hunt/train by herself?
I'd keep her away from males at least 3 weeks. You can always train with other bitches but I have found that when they are in season the bitches are cranky and more apt to fight.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

jsd245

Post by jsd245 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:44 am

PntrRookie wrote:Count on it...hopefully you can run her alone and still enjoy it.
Is it Ok to run her when in Heat? I'm just afraid of here running off an either getting lost, or running across some male and I end up with mutt puppies. She will be the only bird dog we're bringing. We are also bringing my dad's intact beagle because we's alternate between hare/grouse hunting with the different dogs, but I can always leave him at home. She's pretty obiedient, but i understand they get a little nuts during the heat cycle.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:55 am

Sure you can run her, but keep a close eye on her. Since you do not run rabbits and grouse at the same time, bring the beagle and do not run them together or even air them out together...could be a "harey" mess.

Just and FYI...my female setter has not started her (second) cycle yet (close...days), but my intact male GSP is going NUTS. I think he can smell it in her urine and her will NOT leave her alone. I can not image what he will do once she is in heat. I sent the setter to the trainer for kenneling. My house is a zoo with her there and close to her cycle.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:01 am

I have a cabin booked in NH in October as well and have been worrying about this same thing. But lo and behold Ginger started her cycle on Sunday so we will be good to go! Just pray and maybe it will happen for you - that's what I did :) Ginger started in her 11 month.
G

jsd245

Post by jsd245 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:15 pm

I hope I get as lucky. I'm really hoping she comes in this week or next. I booked our cabin so either way we're going in early October.

Llewellin01

Post by Llewellin01 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:58 pm

When my female setter when throught her first cycle at 10 months she was a completly different dog. Hunted her by herself and that was useless, lol didnt want to listen at all so about 15 minutes after we started we quit i wasnt going to let things get out of comtrol. So be prepared for her to act like she's a wild animals lol.