Just received my e collar- Now what?

GSPVIZ

Just received my e collar- Now what?

Post by GSPVIZ » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:21 am

Hi All,

I just received my e collar today for both my dogs. They already are ok on the come, sit, stay commands without a e collar. But not heel.

What should I start with? I think the best to start with would be the come. Do I need them on a check cord since they already know the command?

If they are doing something like digging, I read that I should use stimulation as soon as they do it but do not be vocal. When they stop digging, stop the stimulation. Is this correct?

Sorry I am new!

brittfans

Re: Just received my e collar- Now what?

Post by brittfans » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:58 pm

You can put the collar on the dog so that he gets use to wearing it but you shouldnt use it untill you know what its used for .Its a great tool for teaching but if the timming is off you can ruin a good dog in a hurry.There are several good videos out there that could help teach you how to use it.I would not use it for digging or for punishment untill the dog knows how to turn the stimulation off.George hickox has a section on teaching the dog how to turn the stimulation off in traning pointing dogs that I have used in the past and found it helpful. I use the collar as a teaching tool first and for breaking bad habits down the road after the dog has matured and knows what to expect.

bobman

Post by bobman » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:54 pm

leave the transmitter in the box put the non energized collar on the dog everytime you take him out to work him, do that for a month. Spend that month studying use of a collar and asking questions.

Do this and you will not end up with a collarwise or ruined dog......maybe
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

NE Vizsla

Post by NE Vizsla » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:57 pm

Turn it to the highest setting and zap yourself..then remember that feeling...especially when you get frustrated with your dog.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:58 am

What Bobman said.

Greg J.

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:21 am

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely get them used to wearing the collar first before I turn it on.

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:55 am

when you decide to finally introduce them to the stimulation work the commands they know best, i think you mentioned "stay" and "here". introduce them to the collar individually, not when they are around each other. introducing them at the same time could result in confusion for the dog. i have actually heard of it sparking a fight between two otherwise civil dogs, i can't speak much on that though because i don't know all the details of what actually went on. i let my pup wear the collar around for a while before using it, they said it would decrease the chance of a collar wise dog. my dog is collar wise but she also listens for the most part, without the collar i have to give commands twice and she slowly responds, when she has the collar on i give the command once and there is immediate reaction without stimulation. with that said, she still enjoys putting the collar on, she knows "fun time" is about to begin.

just be smart about it, read, and you will have no problems with e-collars and your dogs.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:52 am

PM me your address and I will mail you the intro DVD that came with my collar. I like to think of the use of the collar as like a "tap" on the shoulder to communicate with the dog. Try it on several settings on yourself and you will see that the lower settings are not much more than that. I didn't wait a month, but I let my dog wear the collar a week or so off and on before using it. We have had no problem and Ginger gets exceited when she sees the collar because she associates it now with a field romp.