Puppy Reading

Gridiron and Grouse

Puppy Reading

Post by Gridiron and Grouse » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:35 pm

I'm finally on the waiting list for a Vizsla pup. Hopefully, if things go as planned I'll be picking her up in late November or early December. That leaves me with 3 months to get ready, and I'll be coaching football for 2 of those months. So I need to start getting information and absorbing it along the way. Does anyone recommend any good books for basic obedience? What about a good book on training a bird dog puppy? Thanks in advance.

Jim

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Puppy Reading

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:44 pm

contact kiki's mom on this board ..spend some time with them that can do more then a book can ever do
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Ryan Baumann

Post by Ryan Baumann » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:44 pm

Introduce them to birds early and let them be pups.... There name, come, and let them have fun..... Maybe kennel.....

intro to birds young.... No training just fun.....

You'll have a very nice upland dog.....

Ryan.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:46 pm

If you are at this for the first time - two DVDs I suggest that really helped me get started and helped demystify things were the Rick Smith "Puppy Development I and II" series. From crate training to introducing the field and birds, they cover alot. http://www.huntsmith.com

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:48 pm

Yes the rick smith Puppy dvds are very good also

KiKis mom aka Helen and her husband brian are strong based in rick Smith methods
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:52 pm

And be sure to ask a lot of dumb questions here. I did and still do. There are plenty here to help and really, no question is dumb :)

birdsandbirds

Post by birdsandbirds » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:08 pm

Put the dog on lots of birds. Birds make dogs, wild ones at that. :D

zodiakgsps

Post by zodiakgsps » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:40 pm

Jim, you're more than welcome to come along any time I go training. I can also show you where some regulated dog training grounds are fairly close to here & introduce you to the owners. There is also a bird breeder not 10 minutes from these grounds. I guide on a hunting preserve in Edinboro, you may want to check them out for future use too!
I usually run dogs every Sat or Sun (worked some this AM) and maybe an evening or 2 during the week.

Ryan Baumann

Post by Ryan Baumann » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:44 pm

zodiakgsps wrote:Jim, you're more than welcome to come along any time I go training. I can also show you where some regulated dog training grounds are fairly close to here & introduce you to the owners. There is also a bird breeder not 10 minutes from these grounds. I guide on a hunting preserve in Edinboro, you may want to check them out for future use too!
I usually run dogs every Sat or Sun (worked some this AM) and maybe an evening or 2 during the week.
Thats is a nice offer. He should take you up on it.... good for you.... Thanks for offering him that....

Ryan

tailcrackin

Post by tailcrackin » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:49 pm

The biggest thing to leave in the back of your head, is that vizsla's can be odd at times, they are a fun dog to work and learn on, but be extra patient, and let the dog show you when to advance, you get in a hurry with a viz, and it wont forgive, or forget......so just be patient, or extra patient, the wrong thing at the wrong time, can be a hard or harder fix with the breed. They are alot of fun, just take your time, they have a strong tendancy to mature really slow. POST SOME PICS WHEN YOU GET THEM!! Thanks Jonesy
"Don't make it happen. Get it ready and let it happen"
- Ray Hunt
www.jonesysgundogs.com

Gridiron and Grouse

Post by Gridiron and Grouse » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:51 am

Thanks! If there are any other good books or Dvd's please let me know. ZOdiak. I'll definitely be contacting you when I get the puppy. Thanks again for the offer.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:01 am

I think perfection kennels videos are good...

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:15 pm

The George Hickox videos have some great information on introducing pups to birds and guns. I highly recommend the DVD set on pointing dogs.

Nitrex

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:53 pm

I agree.. I have the complete set of George Hickox DVD's and Really pulled some good stuff from them.
If you're a reader I suggest reading WING AND SHOT by Robert Wehle. I first started training when I was fourteen (Labs) and I learned Volumes from Richard Wolters' books. Trained and Finished my first lab Drake, Chocolate 125 lbs 27.5 Inches at the shoulders. Man I miss that guy... I hope someone's throwing bumpers for you up there buddy.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"