Bird Interest

azhunter

Bird Interest

Post by azhunter » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:21 pm

My 17 mo. old english pointer shows a great deal of interest in the pigeons that I set out for him. He locks up on them and holds his point - for the most part - until I flush the bird. If I shoot it, he is quick to get to the bird and retrieve it. So I know that all the basics are there. I have had him out several times around wild quail when he has either busted the covey or ran past them like he is not aware they are there. What's the next step to get him to treat quail the way that he treats pigeons?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Bird Interest

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:59 pm

On wild quail give him a chance it will take a bump or two for him to figure them out...what you may see the dog may not have smelled

pigeons ahve tons more smell to them then wild bird do :wink:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.