Ten Commandments...

MTO4Life

Ten Commandments...

Post by MTO4Life » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:59 am

I had this sent to me by a friend... I thought I'd pass it to everyone here...

A DOG'S TEN COMMANDMENTS...

1. My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful.

2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.

3. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being.

4. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainment, but I have only you.

5. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me.

6. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it.

7. Before you hit me, before you strike me, remember that I could hurt you, and yet, I choose not to bite you.

8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I have been in the sun too long, or my heart might be getting old or weak.

9. Please take care of me when I grow old. You too, will grow old.

10. On the ultimate difficult journey, go with me please. Never say you can't bear to watch. Don't make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there, because I love you so

djswizz

Re: Ten Commandments...

Post by djswizz » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:24 am

Very true and touching. Love it.

lovesuglydogs

Post by lovesuglydogs » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:54 pm

Good stuff.
Ive learned more from my present dog than any other..and sometimes wish I'd not been so hard on her & read the Doggie '10 Commandments'.
I tried the one size fits all training method, Ive learned better. Patience. No substitutie.
But shes been a Gem.

dlfl

Post by dlfl » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:49 pm

On the seventh of July I had to put down my young Luke. I must admit I had watery eyes after reading your post.
Dіck

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:44 pm

Lovely post. I have come across this quote on a few people's websites. Thought it was nice too. Denise
From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a dog," or, "that's a lot of money for just a dog." They don't understand the distance traveled, the time spent, or the costs involved for "just a dog."

Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog." Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a dog," but I did not once feel slighted.

Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by "just a dog," and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of "just a dog" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a dog," then you will probably understand phases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise." "Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy. "Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience that make me a better person.

Because of "just a dog" I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future. So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a dog" but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment.

"Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday they can understand that it's not "just a dog" but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a human."

So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog." just smile, because they "just don't understand."

NE Vizsla

Post by NE Vizsla » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:53 pm

lovesuglydogs wrote:Good stuff.
Ive learned more from my present dog than any other..and sometimes wish I'd not been so hard on her & read the Doggie '10 Commandments'.
I tried the one size fits all training method, Ive learned better. Patience. No substitutie.
But shes been a Gem.

Why do they always manage to keep one sock on ??? Where does that other sock go ???

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:12 pm

MTO4LIFE, and Wems.. Good stuff
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:24 pm

dlfl wrote:On the seventh of July I had to put down my young Luke. I must admit I had watery eyes after reading your post.
I found it sad without the burden you had, so I can only guess what you must feel. Rest assured you are a better person for having spent time with Luke, and he's waiting happily for you when the time comes...

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:09 pm

dlfl,
I can sympathize with you. Heck, I lost my beloved Lab 'Drake" when he was only a month from being 3 yrs old. He was the First Dog I ever raised from a pup and completely finished. Hellava dog. Got Ethelyne Glycol Poisioning and I had to put him down. Hardest day of my life... I made my Vet (who is a wonderful woman) say a prayer before I let him go. I lay on the floor with him in my arms while she said the prayer. I figured she thought I was a weirdo Ballbaby but then I felt her tears dripping down onto my hand as she pushed the meds. She left the private room and I cried like a little kid. That's been almost 5 years ago and It's getting to me now as I share this. You're a good man, because I judge character by how a man treats his animals. The fact that we mourn still, proves our bond with our best friends. We set ourselves up for a fall knowing we will never outlive our dogs, but we do it anyway.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:04 pm

I cannot imagine having to put my dog down. I get all misty eyed whenever I think of the possibility of ever having to do that.

Elroy's Bandit

Post by Elroy's Bandit » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:47 pm

Great Post !!
Bill L.

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:11 pm

dlfl wrote:On the seventh of July I had to put down my young Luke. I must admit I had watery eyes after reading your post.
I'm so sorry for your loss. On Sept 15, 2007, we had to put down our beloved 14 1/2 year old Field Bred English Springer "Whiz".... It's hard to believe it's been almost a year, when it felt so hard to continue to breathe that day. Both the hubby & I cried like a baby & held her tight as she let go...... It's been said that Paul Harvey once wrote that "It will be good if at least one time you can see puppies born and your old dog put to sleep". Well, Paul, I can say I survived it - and I remember her with love, smiles, & tears. I miss her so......
.·´¯`·... ><((((º> Tammy ·.¸. ><((((º> .·´¯`·.

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby