Aggressive neighbors dog, what should we do?

Scott

Aggressive neighbors dog, what should we do?

Post by Scott » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:10 pm

We live in a rural area where most folks have 5-10 acres. We are near state land so there isnt a whole lot of homes around. Its not uncommon to see the neighbors dogs out and most people know to watch out for them while driving down the road. But they have been friendly.

Well this evening I came home to find my female setter had been attacked by the neighbors dog. I am not sure what kind of dog it is. Looks like a mix breed but probably around 80 pounds or so.

My wife called me this evening to tell me that Lilly, our setter, had been attacked by the adjacent neighbors dog while she was on her line. She didnt think it was too bad but noticed that she was really muddy. My 8 year old son came in to tell her that Lilly was being harrassed by the neighbors dog. So she went out and had to chase it off with a stick. I couldnt believe she did that but?? When I got home and inspected her she had several punctures on her front legs and head along with skin ripped off in a couple spots probably 2"x2" on both legs. I have cleaned her up and plan on taking her to the vet first thing in the morning.

You see I don't like to let my dogs run loose around here because of the rattlesnakes, javelina, mt lions, cars etc so she is put on a line during the day to get exercise. My other dogs are put in the kennel and are roaded to keep them in shape. But this particular dog is affraid of the lightening and can jump out of the kennels. So this is what we have done to contain her during the rainy season here.

Well my concern is this. What if this dog had bit my kid or wife while they wer out there? I mean, I am not one to call wolf but this is obviously an aggressive dog. I know the neighbor usually keeps this dog in a pen. But as of late we have seen it out a couple times.

When the incident happened my wife called the neighbor to let them know there dog was out and had harrassed our dog a bit but didnt think much had happened. But after seeing the damages when I got home we called the neighbor back to let them know that she was torn up pretty bad. They said sorry but they were not sure what to say.

I don't know how to approach this with them to be honest. We have a decent relationship which I would like to keep but at the same point I don't want the dog back on my property. I personally would put a dog down that had a temperment like that if it was my own. I don't want a dog like that nor do I want it around my family.

Has anyone experienced this? What did you do? Should I talk more firmly with them about my concerns. My heads not real clear at the moment as it happened within the last couple hours. I didnt want to fly off the handle.

WildRose

Re: Aggressive neighbors dog, what should we do?

Post by WildRose » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:36 am

I would tell my neighbor to put the dog up and keep it up. If legal where you live I'd also tell them that the very next time it entered my property it would be dead.

At the very least I'd head to the vet ASAP get a full and complete report and hand them the bill and call to report the incident to your local animal control folks or sheriff's dept.

A dog like this IS going to repeat the behavior. CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

DoubleB20

Post by DoubleB20 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:38 am

I'm with you CR. Happened to me, neighbor's dog kept harrassing my livestock, dogs, etc. We each had 10 acres. I told them that if I saw their dog on my property again, I would shoot it. They blew me off. They called a few days later to ask if I'd seen their dog? Hmm... what dog? SSS if you know what I mean. It seems to me that once a dog like that finds out he can dominate, he won't stop coming back until your dog is dead. Good luck.

bobman

Post by bobman » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:10 am

WHy not just put a top on her kennel, shes better off in the kennel and you won't have a war with the neighbor

Sooner or later your dog will be loose they all get loose occasionally, you want the neighbor itching to shoot your dog?
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:15 am

Those folks need to keep their dog penned up. I have a hard time suggesting you shoot it, but ... if I had to make a choice, my dogs and my family would come first, no question.

It sounds like you get along with your neighbor and that he MIGHT actually listen. Tell him you can't keep having your dog get torn up and that his dog needs to stay penned up and off your property. I'm guessing that he'll figure out the 'or else' part.

Some friends of ours had a similar situation years and years ago. They had a little female mutt and an older german shepard. The neighbor had a mixture of dobermans and pit bulls, I think. Those dogs paid repeated visits to our friend's property, beating the shepard and mutt up a couple of times. Our friends warned them several times and they kept blowing them off.
The neighbor's dogs managed to kill the mutt, and the repeated fights took their toll on the shepard and he ended up dying, too.
The ending wasn't good for either side. Where they lived, it was legal to shoot dogs on your own property. And since the neighbor refused to pen up his dogs, a 30.06 soon ensured that neither household had any dogs.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

Scott

Post by Scott » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:53 am

Bobman,

I hear what your saying but my dogs are contained. My real concern at this point is my kids walking around on my property. I mean my wife had to chase it off with a stick. The dog wasnt scared of her yelling throwing rocks etc. Which bothers me a bit about my boys being outside. I don't have a hard time with the dog being loose. But I do have a rough time with having an aggressive dog running around our place.

In Arizona you can't discharge a weapon closer than a quarter mile from a house. My initial response was who cares about that rule.

We are heading in to the vet this morning. I hope their dog was up to date on its vaccines etc. I doubt it was though.

I will have a talk with them later today once I get the vet bill. I doubt they can afford it right now but hopefully they will be more inclined to keep it locked up.

I just can't understand having an aggressive dog. I mean if one of my dogs gets in a fight during a trial he's thrown out and for good reason. Personsally I don't have a need for aggressive dogs and won't have them around.

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:56 am

Shoot it...........plain and simple. You're right on being concerned about not only your dogs safety but your family's as well. One warning/talk with the neighbor and then end it.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:39 am

I disagree with the opinion that you should have to do anyhting extra for your dogs containment, your dog isnt the problem. If the neighbors do not control their dog it is their problem. If it happened here more than once it wouldn't be anyones problem any more. I have a good relationship with my neighbors as I live in a very rural area, their dogs come to visit mine on occasion, but they do not cause a problem, they would handle the issue themselves if it ever came up.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:10 am

ACooper wrote:I disagree with the opinion that you should have to do anyhting extra for your dogs containment, your dog isnt the problem. If the neighbors do not control their dog it is their problem.
I totally agree, but by leaving his dog out there, he puts his own dog at risk. He would be totally in the right to leave his dog right where it is, but that won't be much comfort if that other dog comes over again and ends up killing her. My .02.

Sandy Meador

Post by Sandy Meador » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:25 am

I think your concern about your children is of the utmost concern. The dog has shown no fear of adults and has attacked "something" smaller than itself. That would be the first point I'd bring up with the neighbor/owner. Then I'd present them with the copy of the vet bill AND a copy of a police report. Then I'd be frank, if it returns to my property for any reason it won't be coming home! I live on the very edge of a small southside VA town (inside the limits) and if this happened to my dogs, I'd be violating the discharging a firearms ordinance in a heartbeat!

Good luck, and I really hope your neighbor is a good guy and has some common sense when it comes to an issue like this.

Scott

Post by Scott » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:25 am

My wife called this morning to tell me the neighbor called her to see how our dog is doing. During the conversation she said they have this dog seperated from their other 3 dogs because its been tearing them up.

These folks have little kids, i dont know what they are thinking. They obviously know there is a problem with the dog.

Wildrose hit the nail on the head. The dogs behavior is not going to change and hasnt.

Right now we are keeping our dogs in the fenced area and in the garage to keep them away from the problem until I can resolve the situation.

I hope I don't see the dog on my place anymore.

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:42 am

well they have admitted that its an aggressive dog....i know what i would do....if you could put it down and bury it so know one could see you do it that would be me.....Then you say what dog you haven't seen that dog it must have roamed off. I have a little boy and one on the way i would never let it be on my property.....now if you have the option you may want to try and have animal control pick it up next time it is out....if that is not an option i would feel i would have to take care of the problem myself. I love dogs and im sure everyone on here does but you have to put priorities first.

Just my opinion.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:31 am

Scott wrote:My wife called this morning to tell me the neighbor called her to see how our dog is doing. During the conversation she said they have this dog seperated from their other 3 dogs because its been tearing them up.

These folks have little kids, i dont know what they are thinking. They obviously know there is a problem with the dog.
OK, I'm sorry, but your neighbor's an idiot.
They know this dog is a danger - yet they have it running loose? WTF?

Unbelievable.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:52 am

Certainly a concern. Talk first, If the folks are decent then they will pen up their dog. If not they are and will contiue to be idiots. If they are idiots and you give fair warning, regardless of how close one is legally allowed to shoot near a home, you are allowed to defend your self, your family and animals from danger. So shoot away. If you do not wish to use a gun: Then you can use a cross bow or a regular bow. A broad head will do the job.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:08 am

We live in a setting very similar to yours Scott. And most of our neighbors let their dogs run at large too, pretty much 'expecting' them to stay home but without any containment or supervision.... Obviously we've had to deal with the consequences and 'train' their dogs to stay off of our property. A pellet gun comes in real handy for this, just the sound of it (once they been hit before) will remind them- we've had to do this because of them harassing our dogs which we will not tolerate, especially when it is a setter vs rott. However, I'm pretty sure if you shoot the dogs around here, you should be finishing them off because the shooter is responsible for vet bills if the dog gets back home. We've never had to go that far but others have or the dogs get hit on the highway. While this not win points with your neighbors, a dog on your property (and an aggressive/nuisance one at that) is subject to your decision, especially after what's already happened.

We really pressure one neighbor to get rid of their aggressive dogs (they go through a lot of dogs due to irresponsibility) and last year the response was pretty immediate once I was attacked by one. We told them they needed to get rid of it, and if they rehome him he shouldn't be around kids, needs neutered, etc...& if they didn't comply we'd get rid of it ourselves. Another neighbor lets their intact females run at large, so this causes additional problems between everyone- male dogs coming from all over and more dogs roaming around us. And last year when my mom was bit in her face by a adult Llew we'd bought a couple months prior, he was gone, back to the seller/kennel within days (although now I wish I'd have let my brother shoot him). When that breeder was about to use him as a stud (even though he didn't measure up in anything for us- temperament, conformation, health, hunting), I put a little pressure on him and he backed off, took the "stud" off his site and hasn't bred him, that I've seen.

In your situation, I would firmly tell your neighbors that the dog needs to be gone within a week max (like others said, show them the vet bill and report the incident to police or animal control). Talk to them about the hazards of keeping such a dog and liability- I'm sure they won't want to deal with any legal/insurance. That they have kids and still have him is amazing. You'd probably be doing everyone a favor if you had the dog picked up or put down yourself. Good luck.

Scott

Post by Scott » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:01 pm

I just got back from the vet. I am not sure how many stitches it is going to take to fix up both of her front legs yet. The vet thinks one of her front legs is fractured by the way she is favoring it. Xrays will be done and she is getting put under to get the stitches. He gave me a rough estimate of around $400-500. I thought that was really a fair deal.

The vet thought we should have animal control stop by.

I think I am going to offer to get the dog put down. I am trying to be a good guy about it all and keep up neighbor relations. If they balk at that then I will move to the next course of action... which I don't think are great to say on a public forum. I think once they see the vet bill they will be a bit cornered and have the dog put down. I am hoping. This is rediculous.

I still don't understand having a dog that is mean. I would put my own dog down if it was this aggressive in my kennels. AND I am pretty sure that she is an intact female mutt. Talk about irrisponsible. Nothing against the mutt part but intact aggressive dog....sheash.

lovesuglydogs

Post by lovesuglydogs » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:15 pm

Id probably Pepper Spray the dog & make sure it never returns by chasing it off myself, than kill it by shooting it.
At least, Id try that first.

Or call animal control & have it removed & owner cited

Too bad we cant pick our neighbors..a shame these irresponsible people cant control their animals.

By the same token, mine accidentally got loose once when my wife was home-forgot to lock the gate
Im glad no one shot mine

Do unto others..

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:42 pm

Wow.. This brings back bad memories. I live in a rural community, and a few years ago we had a hellava problem with a POS neighbor. This guy was worthless. He had a bunch of motley, mutt dogs that he fed when his disability check came in once a month, but that's about it. They ran loose and were running as a pack pillaging at will. We contacted the neighbor, Sherriffs Dept, and our NRO's but to no avial. One day our closest neighbor had his beautiful Alaskan Husky on a line in his back yard, They attacked him and messed him up so bad he had to be put down. I felt bad for our neighbor, and as you can imagine, War ensued. Our neighbor (who had to put down his dog) was too much a coward to shoot the dogs, so he left containers of antifreeze around the neighborhood for the dogs to get into. (unbeknownst to anyone else he had done this)
I had a beautiful 125 lb Choc Lab.. The first dog I ever Finished and he was the best dog I will have ever owned in this lifetime. 'Drake' was kept inside, but let out to potty regularly. We have 3 acres and everyone knew and loved him. While I was at work, he was let out to 'do his business' and must have stumbled across some of the antifreeze. We had no Idea. By the time we realized something was wrong with him it was too late. I held him in my arms while he was put to sleep. It was the hardest thing I have ever done in my 30 years of life. I cried like a little kid, and still am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO mad that this happened to my beloved dog. It was a horrible, gut wrenching, scar you for life situation.

Both neighboring parties are no longer around here, but for the first couple of years I'd often relish at the thought of making equal with both parties involved. One for being a ignorant worthless individual, and the other for being a coward. If I had it my way, I'd be in camo stalking both individuals until it was settled. Thank god for a concious, a good woman, and church. All I am going to say is don't let this dog do anymore damage. Not only because of your dog, but think about everyone else's welfare too. Hope this Painful memory of mine helps, because it still hurts 4 years later to even talk about it.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

tdhusker

Post by tdhusker » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:36 pm

After dealing with this stuff a little too often, I have come to the conclusion that you are btter off not even approaching the dog's owner(s). People are particulary stupid when it comes to their own pets and sometimes they take the very worst approach imaginable. If you gripe about their dog and the dog comes up missing, they could take it out on your dog. I will call the authorities without hesitation and insulate myself from direct contact with the pet owner if it is a noise problem. If it is a physical threat to my property, it comes down to shooting or killing their dog and I will make absolute sure nobody is going to find out. The best practice I have found is to use pepper spray. They absolutely hate it and most dogs wont come back.

If my hunting dog were to be injured while on a leash in my yard . . .neighbor's dog would disappear, no doubt about that. Harsh but I've tried to be a nice guy before and you will end up on the short end of things more often than not. Retaliation, vandalism, you name it.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:58 pm

I would not deal with the neighbor any further on this. Further discussion is pointless and you are well beyond that anyway.

I would let the vet office make their report to animal control. They are, as I understand it, obligated to do so. When animal control comes by, tell them exactly what happened, give them a copy of the bill from the veterinarian, tell them point blank that you are concerned that your children are at risk and point them toward the neighbor. Oh yeah, ask for their name and badge number, the name of their superior and write it down.

I think your problem dog will go away.

I would also send them the vet bill by certified mail, return reciept requested and insist that they pay ALL the vet bills for your dog immediately, or you will see them in small claims court.

There is absolutely no excuse for this kind of stupidity.

RayG

Scott

Post by Scott » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:18 pm

We picked her up from the vet. She has quite a few stitches, and punctures. The vet bill was $522 which was reasonable.

We called the neighbor seeing that they were home. As they had asked us to call them once she was out to see how she was doing. We called(ended up leaving a message, even though we could see they were home) to let them know we were home and had a vet bill we wanted to discuss. That was about 4 hours ago, still no return call.

The vet didnt call animal control as some had thought they would do? I am not sure about the local law on that. Maybe its not required in Arizona?

I think tomorrow we will call animal control concerning their dog. Obviously the neighbor is not going to respond to the situation or communicate with us.

I like the idea of sending a copy of the vet bill certified mail. Right now my big concern is their dog. The vet bill is an issue but I don't want their dog around our house and family. Chances are it will get out and repeat the recent activities.

I really appreciate your responses and real life experiences. They have shed some light on how we will handle this. I am a laid back guy and usually let things slide. But my family is first, the dogs are a close second and considered part of the family.

Thanks,

Scott

lovesuglydogs

Post by lovesuglydogs » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:30 am

You may have to settle this in the civil courts.
Costs about $25 to file
Seek a judgement for damages, if they refuse to pay.
You can then have them subpoened to court, to face the judge, for a debtors exam.
Under oath, they give statements about work/earnings etc.
You can then start to garnishee wages.
(Ive done this a few times!)

Ask politely for the damages to be reimbursed.
Tell them it'd be alot easier if they just tied/kenneled their dog responsibly, as you dont want this to occur again. It can get expensive for them if it does.

Thats the high road.
There are indeed 2 ways to do things, for them. The easy way & the Hard way.
If they choose the hard way, PM me. Payback is indeed a bitch.

Good luck

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:27 am

I think everythings been said about making the dog disappear. I was curious, would the neighbors home owner's insurance (if they have any) cover the vet bill? Probably not...........but I know it can work that way if a human gets bitten. Denise

jt807

Post by jt807 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:49 pm

I am not saying to shoot the dog or not. But, your statement about "In Arizona you can't discharge a weapon closer than a quarter mile from a house." is not an entirely true statement.

The law reads: It is unlawful to "Discharge a firearm while taking wildlife within one-fourth mile of an occupied farmhouse or other residence, cabin, lodge or building without permission of the owner or resident.
I found this at http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatDocu ... ocType=ARS

So, if it is your house, then obviously the permission thing is not an issue. If it is your neighbors, then the permission thing could be an issue. Notice this law also says when taking wildlife. I don't know what that means when you are shooting a dog.

If you have any livestock, like chickens, and the dog was attacking your livestock, I am pretty sure you could shoot the dog. Laws are generally written pretty well to protect lifestock, defenitely more so than family pets. You can shoot one of those mexican grey wolf transplants while attacking wildlife, and they are an endangered species, but you cannot shoot it while it attacks you pet. Chikckens are pretty cheap.

You might want to stretch the truth a bit and see if you can't get your neighbor to take action. "Hey, your dog got out today and was really aggressive towards my kids today. They had to jump up on the hood of our car and scream till we got out there. They are afraid to go outside anymore. What are we going to do to ensure that this doesn't happen again?" If he doesn't want to do anything about this, then you should probably re-think any friendship thing.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:35 pm

I think this threads been dormant for some time... :roll:
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

volraider

Post by volraider » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:34 pm

I learned the hard way about neighbors and pets. If you say something to them then their pet goes missing your to blame then there will always be hard feelings. NOW if I have a problem I shoot the animal, bag it, and drop it in the trash dumpster. I do not tell anyone, period! I'm talking about problem animals not some animal crapping in the yard.

Scott

Post by Scott » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:37 am

I should have followed up on this post.

I can't say what happened to the neighbors dog. But it dissappeared. He said they gave it away but I have no idea. I for one would not give away a dog like that.

As for compensation. The vet bills totaled about $520. He said he would only pay half. Due to other stresses in life right now I aggreed. Mainly because his dog also disappeared and I don't really want to have any bad neighbor relations. I told him I thought the whole bill was his responsibility but I wanted to keep our relations. So we settled on $250 bucks. I have gotten about a $100 from him so far. So we will see.

As for my dog. She is healing up ok. She was a large running gun dog. Right now she is pretty much a boot licker. I think it took alot out of her. I havent started conditioning her for the up coming quail season yet. I wanted to make sure she had healed up well. I hope to start roading her in mid November.

Once again I appreciate all of the great responses.