Hello

Vicki

Hello

Post by Vicki » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:03 pm

Hi there, I myself am not a hunter, but was told I should join in hopes that someone here could help me identify the breed of this puppy that had been dumped. He is very smart and sweet, so i dont know why anyone would dump him. I was going to find him a home, but then I fell in love with him so have decided to keep him, but would like to know what kind of dog he is or what he is possibly mixed with. I have been told walker hound and some have said fox hound.
Someone told me you folks on here were really smart and good with that kind of thing so was hoping you could help me :)
Thank you in advance :)

bhairhoger

Re: Hello

Post by bhairhoger » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:14 pm

Someone told me you folks on here were really smart
Someone was wrong :lol:
Rules while hunting with me and my dog
#1 Don't shoot my dog
#2 Don't shoot me
#3 If you break rule #1 be ready to break rule #2!

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=1188
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3371

Vicki

Post by Vicki » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:34 pm

Oh now I find that hard to believe :)

BCA1228

Post by BCA1228 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:09 pm

That fellow looks a lot like a Walker to me. Does he tree coons? What part of the country are you in?

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:10 pm

looks like an Eng Pointer
brenda

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:13 pm

Thats a pointer head I think. I don't see the coon hound relation though. The ears wouldn't fit at all with a Walker.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

phillipsgsp

Post by phillipsgsp » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:21 pm

I would say English pointer, maybe crossed with shorthair?

Chad
"GET THE POINT" http://www.phillipsgundogs.com Family and Shorthairs, it don't get any better than that!
Phillips' Tiptoe'n Tucker MH
Phillips' Lucy in Diguise SH

BCA1228

Post by BCA1228 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:34 pm

Actually, now that I think about it, I guess the ears are too small for walker. Something about him doesn't look like EP to me though. I can't put my finger on it though.

Vicki

Post by Vicki » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:57 pm

He doesnt do anything but act goofy and want to be loved and play fetch. He learns things very very fast. I taught him to sit and shake in just minutes. I am going to work on him with a leash starting this weekend.
I am in Georgia and he doesnt even show interest in the squirrels in the yard and I have no coons here where I am. My dad and stepmom live in the country and he was dumped out there.

I kind of figured that he didnt have walker in him cuz his ears were too short. Poor thing, nobody wanted him, we dont know what he is and I cant seem to come up with a suitable name for him LOL

But he's a complete doll baby and Im glad he came to me. My 14 year old chow/retriever mix is very tolerant of him and she hates puppies.

Llewellin01

Post by Llewellin01 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:57 pm

Deffinantley not a walker hound. I've been around them all my life, and that is not one. Idk i thought pointer, but now that i really looked at it idk.

gerryrt4

Post by gerryrt4 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:13 pm

I'm thinking an English Pointer cross.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:32 pm

I agree this dog looks to be at least half pointer.

Vicki

Post by Vicki » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:38 pm

so maybe pointer and foxhound? or pointer and goodness only knows what? LOL

I do appreciate yalls trying to help me out with this. I just hate to just call him a hound dog hehee.

My next mission will be to name him.

Meller

Post by Meller » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:34 pm

I would guess pointer, but would watch for him to start pointing thing before long (butterflies, yard birds anything that move) if he bird dog he should let you know; if not he will let you know that also. Nice looking puppy what ever the breeding. :D

hustonmc

Post by hustonmc » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:44 pm

I would be pretty confident saying English Pointer and German Shorthair Pointer. Though I saw a Shorthair/Brittany once that looked pretty similar, very similar actually. Definatley not any hound in that lil guy.

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:14 pm

Vicki wrote:He doesnt do anything but act goofy and want to be loved and play fetch. He learns things very very fast. I taught him to sit and shake in just minutes. I am going to work on him with a leash starting this weekend.
I am in Georgia and he doesnt even show interest in the squirrels in the yard and I have no coons here where I am. My dad and stepmom live in the country and he was dumped out there.

I kind of figured that he didnt have walker in him cuz his ears were too short. Poor thing, nobody wanted him, we dont know what he is and I cant seem to come up with a suitable name for him LOL

But he's a complete doll baby and Im glad he came to me. My 14 year old chow/retriever mix is very tolerant of him and she hates puppies.
Undocked Shorthair would be my guess. He doesn't have even the slightest Pointer stop, doesn't appear elbowed out and the part of the quote above in bold pretty much dispels any Pointer in the mix! :P :lol:

Ducking for cover now!
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:12 pm

My guess would be an english pointer that might just be gunshy or just a little too soft for the original owner.

Like the previous poster said, if it starts stalking and pointing butterflies and such...you will have your answer.

If it is a pointer or even an undocked shorthair, be advised that these dogs are athletes and have an amazing capacity for running, jumping and such. You will not wear out an adult dog.

May God bless you for taking in a stray, whatever his parentage. I wish you much joy with your new friend. It sounds to me like he landed on just the right doorstep.

I'd say a name like Lucky wouldn't be too far out of line.

RayG

Vicki

Post by Vicki » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:07 pm

I always swore I would never take in a puppy because I am disabled and just cant deal with a puppy, but this guy is so well behaved and learns so quickly.
When we walk in the back yard (I have almost half an acre so he has plenty of room to run) he walks behind me, not all up in my feet or anything, and when I stop, he stops. Well unless I look at him then thats all she wrote, he turns puppy silly again.
He is very gentle too and knew the command stay immediately, so it makes me think that somebody was working with him at one time.
But with him having some kind of hunting dog in him if anybody has any training pointers with him, Im not wanting him to be a hunting dog cuz i cant kill things LOL, not even spiders, but as far as just typical training points that are good for this type dog, I would be grateful.
And thank you all so much for the "pointers" hehee on what you all think he might be breed wise, and yes pun intended LOL

I do appreciate the help so much.

Vicki

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:06 pm

Vicki-

Bird dogs and hunting dogs in general are wonderful animals. They are bred to work with and for their human partner and to do it with joy and enthusiasm(sometimes far too much enthusiasm). Hunting is one of those ways they can work with you but it is far from the ony way. Not all bird dogs make great hunters anyway. Most make great companions when they get the chance. If they like you they will turn themselves inside out to please you because that is how they are bred.

I am sure that your pup will be whatever you want it to be and will have a good, safe home and a happy life. That 's a whole lot and it is all good.

Take care.

RayG

Vicki

Post by Vicki » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:31 pm

Thanks RayG... that is one thing about this pup, he does turn himself inside out to please me and my older dog. He plays fetch really well and when he fetches the toy, whatever it is, he runs around the yard with it as if he had caught it and killed it himself, and brings it back to me or he will take it to my other dog.
He is very very submissive, when he comes up to Dixie, my other dog, he rolls over and submits to her and he does the same thing to me, ive just never seen a pup of his age act this way, but Ive never had a bird/hunting type dog before either, its a new experience and Im so glad that he found his way into my life, he has been a complete joy and ive only had him 2 weeks this coming Monday.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:47 pm

At first glance I thought English Pointer. But I am more familiar with Brittanys and there is a certain expression I recognize in this dog - in the eyes, eyebrows, head shape, ear shape. Could it be Pointer/Brittany?

Vicki

Post by Vicki » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:16 am

Well I dont know if this means anything, but I have a train that goes behind my house and this morning I looked out the window to see what the pup was up to. He is scared of storms and rain so figured when the train came he would be gone under the house, but nope he was at the back of the house facing in the direction of the train and he pointed at it.
He stood like that for a few seconds then slowly walked along the back of the yard like he was "stalking" it then like he gave up and lay down and watched it LOL
But it was funny that he runs when it rains but stalks the train. But some of yall said if he pointed at stuff that would answer the question, wondered if pointing a train would count too.

Vicki

rhines

Post by rhines » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:48 am

Vicki - That's a Chocolate Lab for sure. :P

Seriously, the tail looks too long for an undocked GSP or Brittany - I would guess either an English Pointer or Pointer crossbred with either a GSP, Brittany, or English Setter even.

Vicki

Post by Vicki » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:56 am

Im sure he's not a purebred anything, but who knows maybe he is. I know that now there is some kind of expensive DNA testing out there that can tell what he is, but I would have to win the lottery to be able to do that LOL
Guess he will always be a mystery, but I am leaning towards just saying he is EP or EP mix.

Or just a silly mutt would work for him LOL

I want to thank you all again so much for the help in trying to figure out what he is besides goofy. :)

Vicki

GSP 4 me

Post by GSP 4 me » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:19 pm

Looks like a Bullmastiff to me........hold on....I grabbed the wrong pair of glasses :lol: I vote for a pointer mix. Try taking the pup to a local park that may have some birds and see how he reacts. I'm really curious to see if he's birdie at all.

Vicki

Post by Vicki » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:53 pm

If it wasnt so blasted hot here, I wanted to take him to the park here that I love going to, there are bunches of ducks and geese and a misplaced snow goose too, along with other critters, it would be interesting to see his reaction as well.
In the next few days its supposed to cool off, I am hoping to take him then, and i"ll let you all know.
But he has absolutely no interest in the squirrels and regular birds in the back yard at all.

Vicki

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:27 pm

gar-dog wrote:At first glance I thought English Pointer. But I am more familiar with Brittanys and there is a certain expression I recognize in this dog - in the eyes, eyebrows, head shape, ear shape. Could it be Pointer/Brittany?

that is the first thing I thought a pointer brittany cross
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

dlfl

Post by dlfl » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:40 pm

There you have it, A Poibrit!
Dіck

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:36 pm

dlfl

a Pointanny or a
Brittner

if it is a GSP cross you have a Sh-ttany :lol:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Vicki

Post by Vicki » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:42 pm

LOL too funny on that last one there :)

Reminds me of that one what do you get if you cross a bull mastiff with a shih-tzu... bull s***

wchua24

Post by wchua24 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:11 am

good thing you founded him now he got a home and a master that loves him... good luck in finding the breed of your dog. i cant helped you with that. :)

Vicki

Post by Vicki » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:21 am

I always swore I would never have a puppy, as I just cant handle them with my disaiblities, but I never figured to come across such a smart and well behaved puppy as this little guy, so I am glad he came into my life as well.
There are a few things we have to work on that if we get straight he will be perfect :)

See there is this huge sign on my head in neon lights that says SUCKER with big arrows pointing down to my head. And thats what I am, a sucker for animals. Right now I have 3 cats of my own, a tiny kitten I am fostering until he's old enough for a home, my older dog, the puppy, 2 cockatiels, 3 african spiny mice and I just lost my betta fish the other day :(
I rescued 2 chihuahuas in the past 2 months of which one was tied in a garbage bag, kicked repeatedly and thrown in a dumpster, who has a wonderful home now.
I have fostered many a kitten for our local shelter as well. And I even stop for turtles in the road. I am bad I know LOL