Dog in Surgery

Sandy Meador

Dog in Surgery

Post by Sandy Meador » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:20 pm

As I write this, my 10 y.o. Lab Annie is under the knife. Last Friday I noticed her intake of water had increased drastically and she was urinating a lot. She stopped eating Sat. afternoon too. Well, she has cancer. In the mammaries. It hasn't spread to the lungs so we decided to operate. She has been a great retriever and we have had many, many fantastic experiences. Say a little prayer for her this afternoon. She has a long road to recovery but hopefully she will get back into the game and be able to retrieve a goose before our season closes on Feb. 15. Thanks!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Dog in Surgery

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:23 pm

You got it prayers for Annie and you also
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Elroy's Bandit

Post by Elroy's Bandit » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:44 pm

Prayers for you & Annie for a speedy recovery,
Bill L.

SouthDakotaBound

Post by SouthDakotaBound » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:53 pm

Prayers from Southern Indiana. I pray for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery for Annie.

tmoneysju

Post by tmoneysju » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:42 pm

consider it done....I hope all turns out for the best.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:11 pm

If the cancer hasn't spread, your dog has a good shot, I think.

I had a female pointer many years ago that had mammary cancer . She was about six or seven as I recall. I decided to have it removed and she had several more productive years, eventually succumbing to a siezure/stroke/heart attack of some sort at 11.

I hope it works out for your both.

RayG

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:21 pm

Best wishes for a quick recovery. Denise

tfbirddog2

Post by tfbirddog2 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:23 pm

Godspeed, and prays.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

Streenie79

Post by Streenie79 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:50 pm

Will be thinking of you and Annie and hoping for the best of outcomes.

I've always owned female Brittanys, so have had occasion deal with mammary cancer more than once. All have made it quite well through the surgery(ies), recovered beautifully, continued to actively hunt, and live a quality life to what I'd consider a ripe old age. If memory serves me, of the dogs I've had who had mammary cancer (usually appearing at about the age your Annie is now), all lived (and lived well) to around age 14. I've always been amazed at how very well they seem to handle all, particularly given the older age at which the cancer appears.

Good luck to you both.....and please, keep us posted!

Streenie79

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:33 pm

I hope all has gone well. Will be thinking of Annie and praying for a good out come. I am sure she will be wanting to go get the geese for you soon. Good luck
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:03 am

Hoping that your Annie will be up and getting back to her old self real soon.;-)

Sandy Meador

Post by Sandy Meador » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:05 am

The Update. Went to see Annie at around 4:30 yesterday afternoon. Wasn't really prepared for what I saw - but that is surgery. She was laying on her side in an inside kennel (heated of course), with a narcotic IV, shaved from her neck to between her legs from the top of the rib cage on each side. She had been opened up from her sternum down to her crotch. She was out like a light and snoring like I've never heard her snore! I went in and started rubbing her head, and the minute I started speaking to her she quit snoring. When the vet came in and I stopped talking to her she began snoring again, so I know she knew I was there. He told me all went very well and that she would be sedated and out for at least 36 hours and probably wouldn't come home until Fri or Sat. He said that he removed all the mammaries and could he use the tumors for teaching his students (of course!). He had also removed her ovaries and said she had a bunch of cists there also.

All in all, I am very pleased. She should have several good hunting yrs after she recovers. My vet said she probably would be able to hunt by mid-Dec!!! I hated to see her laying there like that, but after all she has done for me (and my friends), in the fields and in the yard - it is the least I could do for her.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and words. I'll keep you posted on her recovery.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:59 am

Thank you for the update...

hard to see them not in their usual up and moving selves

hope the healing goes quickly and no complications and she is back to normal in no time
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

The Zephyr

Post by The Zephyr » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:31 am

SM,

I’ve been through it myself with my own dog, except the old girl always snored, more so as she got older. She qualified as a Retrieving Dog Excellent less than a month after having the stitches removed.

I hope you’ll have many more years together.

John L.
FC AFC Fieldmaster's Montauk Zephyr
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=324

Fieldmaster's Oregon Road Phosphorus
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2833

Vizsla Vince

Post by Vizsla Vince » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:50 pm

Glad to see everything is turning out ok.
I had to take Zoomie in on Saturday with a badly torn pad. Went through about 1/6th of what your dog went through. They put him under "light sedation" to suture the pad, & 2 days later, he ripped 1/2 of the stitches out & the wound was infected... So we're not done yet.

Sandy Meador

Post by Sandy Meador » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:10 am

Annie is home now! I brought here home around 6 last night. She was ready to go - as soon as she saw the leash in my hand she got so excited. She looks good and has her spirit back. She is on 100% kennel restriction for 2 weeks and then back for a follow up. Then it is 2 weeks of light exercise, 2 weeks of light training (easy marked retrieves) and then back to the vet for the final evaluation. I am so happy for her that she appears to be so much better.

Thanks so much for everyone's thoughts and prayers!

wchua24

Post by wchua24 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:49 am

lets prey for annies recovery...i am sure she can make it..

mit

Post by mit » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:02 pm

Way to go Annie. I will keep her in my prayers she heals quickly & is back in the fields soon.

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:50 pm

Great news! It's amazing how strong dogs really are and can bounce back. Here's to a speedy recovery so she can get back to doing what she does best!!!

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:43 am

glad to hear everything went well!! personally i would think that she would be able to hunt MUCH sooner than mid december (as long as she heals well), but I'm not your vet and i didnt do the surgery, so follow his instructions! good luck!