texas day lease

larue

texas day lease

Post by larue » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:15 am

My son enters the af on tuesday,for basic training in lackland afb,then he goes to sheppard afb for his initial tech training for 4 months.
That puts him in texas on his training base this fall,so my questions are as follows.
Is there good quail hunting close to sheppard afb,and if so any suggestions on finding a day lease for a few days to drive down and go hunting with my son?

gar-dog

Re: texas day lease

Post by gar-dog » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:07 am

http://wbranch.com/

This is about a 2.5 hour drive, but I have done many nice upland hunts here and they have a sporting clays course too. It is billed as a "corporate retreat" but folks can go there for hunts. Pricey. It is what it is.

Tejas

Post by Tejas » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:28 am

You might check with Charlie Rose who posts on here as WildRose. He is based in Seymour, about 45 miles from Wichita Falls. I don't know what Charlie charges for guided hunts, but it should be more than competitive with the WB and will be on wild birds.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:49 am

Contact some of the chambers of commerce. They might have lists of ranches that allow day hunting.

DoubleB20

Post by DoubleB20 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:48 am

If you want to do some public you can get a Texas Annual Hunting Permit ($48). Matador WMA is a short drive from Wichita Falls and if you want to drive 3 hours or so, you can go to Gene Howe WMA near Canadian, TX. Your non-Resident license isn't too bad just to hunt birds (5 day, $45) and your son's license is free for active military. There aren't a lot of wild birds, but they can be found. As previoulsy mentioned, CR probably has some better private lease contacts. Good luck!

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/#aph

Tejas

Post by Tejas » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:10 pm

You might try the Chamber of Commerce in Roby (Fisher County) Tx about a three hour drive from Wichita Falls. Several years ago there was a sort of co-op arrangement for day leasing of properties that were too small for annual leases....I'm not sure if they are still doing it. Fisher County has pretty good quail hunting when conditions are right.

In general, day leases are very difficult to find in Texas. In fact the price of quail leases has become ridiculous.....as a result of exorbitant prices deer hunters will pay. You may have the best luck by waiting until deer season is finished (1st week in January).