www.gundogsupply.com

Ryan

www.gundogsupply.com

Post by Ryan » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:11 pm

Hi,
I am doing an order from this site and want to know what they are like? Has anyone ordered from these guys here is my list of what I am ordering make any suggestions on what I should add. Thanks

1 - Dokken's Dead Fowl Trainers - Pheasant
1 - Pheasant Scent - 4 oz. Bottle
1 - Wing & Shot - Gun Dog Training Video
1 - Roy Gonia Clear Competition Whistle
1 - Premium Solid Braid Lanyard by Mendota - Double Snap
1 - Bird Bag - TBI's Game Stewards Bag
1 - Check Cord/Super Cord by Mendota - Yellow - 7/16 x 50'
1 - British-Style Slip Lead by Mendota 4-Feet
3 - Pigeon Restraint Harness w/cord

PS. I have a e collar coming already, and I have a beeper collar. THis is for a 5 year old dog. But I would like to start collecting stuff for when I get my first puppy so I am ready.

Casper

Post by Casper » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:32 pm

Ryan dont get the 50' cc get one that is about 25' I bought a 50' and the extra 25' is a hassle you end up stoping the dog alot to untangle your dog

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:49 pm

Personal opinion: I'd ditch the phesant scent and the dokken trainer. The scent can be messy and really stinks. I got dove and quail to put on a canvas dummy and it was really more trouble than it's worth, and, on top of that, you'll find that you will hardly use it because it's not as realistic as it sounds. As for the dummy trainer, until you get to use real birds it really doesn't matter what the dog actually retrieves. A simple, way-less-expensive canvas dummy will do the trick. Of course, that is just opinion and you may want the phesant dokken simply for the bulk to simulate the size of a real phesant.

I also second Casper's note that a 25' check cord will do just fine. After that length is run out, it will just get tangled.

As for the company... Steve Snell really has his ducks in a row. They're fast, reliable, and pretty competitive on prices. You will get the weekly/monthly spam-email from them but it's really not that bad.. just details the specials they have going on.

I have found that gundogsupply has the lowest shipping rates, especially on large orders.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

NDBDHunter

Post by NDBDHunter » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:12 pm

I second the motion to skip the scent. The training dummies have a scent all their own and if a dog likes to fetch'm it'll certainly find'm.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:14 pm

Im not worried on finding them I would like her to point them in the back yard when I dont have time to go out in the feild.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:38 am

Stakeouts come in real handy:

http://www.godfathergundogs.com/bird-dog-equipment.htm

The first nstra trial Lindsay and I went to, we had Bell and Kage tied to the hitch of our truck by leashes. Needless to say, we didn't have to tell anyone we where new to ft...

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:51 am

The BIGGEST MISTAKE a new puppy owner can make is putting out dummies/w scent on them, or dead or frozen birds for pups to find. Why? Because pup will run around hunting, smell it and run in and grab it. Why is this bad? Beause pup will not learn the bird can get away and will not point but grab. I worked a dog not too long ago that this was done for the first yr of his life, after several weeks of doing everything in the book to get the dog pointing naturally, I had to teach this dog to point. Leave scent alone, when pup gets 9-12 weeks old introduce him to some live quail. I have posted before, when pup puts his nose in on scent, you want that bird to move away or fly away.
brenda

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:43 pm

what about just a dummy so they can get a feel of whats it like.
Last edited by Ryan on Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:36 pm

Dummies are fine with no scent.
brenda

TAK

Post by TAK » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:15 am

Ryan,
Save your money and spend it on birds! I suggest a good Check cord around 10-20 ft long. Pinch collar, chock chain or something that you can control the dog with. Forget about the scent, I said it before I have had dogs smell it and lift a leg on it! Good whistle yes, a lanyered yes. Bird bag, yes! Spend that money on birds and then when you are broke spend more on birds!

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:25 am

Tak I dont need to spend money on birds I got the real thing in my backyard pretty much. I walk half mile and i am knee deap in pheasants. 2 blocks down there is an abandoned house full of pigeons I can use too. I am going to skip the training scent if no one here likes it but with the pinch collar how does this help. I have trained dogs without a pinch or choke collar and they came out awsome. As long as u can keep their attention on you (which isnt hard) I find they train great.

Whislte wise what does every suggest? I was thinking a Roy Gonia Competition whislte. I will probally get the one with the pea in it I like the sound they put out.

Check cord I will get that mendota 25 foot Hi-viz are they a good CC?

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:28 am

I use the Roy Gonia w/out the pea...

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:33 am

I heard the pea can freeze in there but when hunting season comes around it is rarly colder that -5 somtimes -10

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:41 am

It's a little off-beat and might not matter, but here is an idea....

After my older dog turned on the other handler's whistle a couple of times, I moved to something that I was less apt to run into.

The Fox 40 is good as are many others. Just anything with a different tone.

Best regards,

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:43 am

What do you mean by turned on the other handlers whistle?

I have a fox 40 here I dont like it too much.

Richard *UT*

Post by Richard *UT* » Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:52 am

Re. the Wing and Shot Video. I have it and it is a good philosophy discussion and has some great shots of birds pointing. It has some training it it but it is not what I would call a great training video. It covers some Kenneling issues like, If you run a large kennel this is what we have found works well. Nothing about e-collars. I like to watch it but I will be buying some other videos that TAK told me about. I know that Wing and Shot has been out of print for quite a while and that new, it can be pricey. i.e. $90. Dave Walker has some videos that I will be getting as soon as I can and I have heard they are great. http://www.davewalkerdogs.com/videos.htm
Just a thought. Let me know how you like Wing & Shot if you do get it.

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:28 pm

Billy
"Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change"

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=147

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=152