First field pics

EddieF

First field pics

Post by EddieF » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:21 pm

Well, she's not exactly hunting, but this is the first time I've had my 10 week old Wirehaired Vizsla out in a thick field. Right near my house there are some future home lots that are just grown over. There were a lot of doves in there, we scared a bunch off but they were too far away to even get Winnie's attention. But she loved romping around in the tall grass and heavy brush! Any harm in letting her do this regularly, maybe even find a dove or two? Regardless, I liked these pics, even if she is pointing deer poop and cattails...

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Re: First field pics

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:35 pm

No harm in letting her hunt, just don't let her get into the habit of pointing the deer poop. Sooner or later, she'll figure out how good it tastes. :oops: Just give her the command that you use when you don't want her to do something and move on.

What a good looking girl!!! Finding those doves will do nothing but good things for her, so let her hunt!!!

Doug

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:56 pm

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs wrote:No harm in letting her hunt, just don't let her get into the habit of pointing the deer poop. Sooner or later, she'll figure out how good it tastes. :oops: Just give her the command that you use when you don't want her to do something and move on.

What a good looking girl!!! Finding those doves will do nothing but good things for her, so let her hunt!!!

Doug
Thanks! She hasn't even noticed the doves yet, but several flew out of the grass way ahead of us today. I think if we go back regularly she's bound to stumble across one eventually. She's not even eleven weeks yet, so we're just having fun right now, but it was neat to see her in that kind of terrain and imagine what the future might hold, you know?

R-Heaton

Post by R-Heaton » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:38 am

A Wirehaired Vizsla huh? Where did the golden color come from? Great pics keep us posted on the progress,,, should make a great bird dog. As far as the doves go,,,, the more doves the better,,,remember the golden rule, it takes birds to make bird dogs.

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:54 am

R-Heaton wrote:A Wirehaired Vizsla huh? Where did the golden color come from?
They range in color from a sandy gold to a russet/rust color. And there is variation in the coat itself as well. My dog is very much on the light side and we'll see what her coat ends up being as an adult, but she's not a show dog. Anyway, they've only been around since the 1930s when Hungarians crossed smoothcoat Vizslas with German Wirehairs. Then they added in some other things like pudelpointers, griffons and, for color, an Irish Setter. I think it will be several decades before there will be a more uniform coat and color for this breed, but I am in no way purporting to be an expert on any of this. This is just my dog and I think she's beautiful and awesome of course!

tmoneysju

Post by tmoneysju » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:19 am

I agree, the more that you can expose her to the better.

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:25 am

tmoneysju wrote:I agree, the more that you can expose her to the better.
Well this field is VERY close, we walked to it from our house. And the tall grass covers probably 8-10 acres. And things being the way they are right now, I don't think they'll be breaking ground on those new homes any time soon! So I could regularly bring her there at least through the winter.

Then I have a friend in Maryland who wants me to bring her out this winter to a place he goes that has woodcock! Looking forward to that too...

westexasrepublic

Post by westexasrepublic » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:26 am

I think its great to get your pup out in the terrain early. My poor pup came from a kennel in washington, so Im glad I took her out early so she could figure out mesquite and cactus. kinda the hard way, but I didnt know any other way than to just get out. Now she goes through the maze of prickly stuff like lightning.
Soouthland's Duke of Hearts
Little Lady Maple

ImageEdit This PedigreeGet Your Free Pedigree Today! WEST TEXAS

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:35 am

westexasrepublic wrote:I think its great to get your pup out in the terrain early. My poor pup came from a kennel in washington, so Im glad I took her out early so she could figure out mesquite and cactus. kinda the hard way, but I didnt know any other way than to just get out. Now she goes through the maze of prickly stuff like lightning.
She doesn't do anything like lightning! And she's still kind of uncoordinated, but I feel like she has the desire to rip through that heavy stuff. Strength and coordination will come later.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:42 am

Enjoy this time with your good looking pup. They get old too fast. Keep exposing her to the whole wide world. Let her hunt don't talk to her much. Let her figure things out on her own. Just keep her safe while she is exploring. Introduce her to water often and don't push her to do anything at this point other than house manners or safety.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:46 am

Ruffshooter wrote:Enjoy this time with your good looking pup. They get old too fast. Keep exposing her to the whole wide world. Let her hunt don't talk to her much. Let her figure things out on her own. Just keep her safe while she is exploring. Introduce her to water often and don't push her to do anything at this point other than house manners or safety.
Thanks for the great advice. I have brought her to the riverbank once, but didn't push the water aspect of it. Just wanted her to see it (I hope to be able to take her fishing with me when she gets older). But I might try to introduce her to water this weekend if it's warm enough, it's starting to get autumney here. These dogs love the water as a breed, but I want to be careful about it.