Best hiking boot for the value??

Kevin WI

Best hiking boot for the value??

Post by Kevin WI » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:50 pm

Been doing a lot of walking of trails grouse hunting, but after a single day of hunting, I'm getting blisters which makes me walk funny the next day, so I'm looking for a comfortable waterproof hiking boot that won't break the bank if you know what I mean. (under $100)

Any good suggestions?

GSPVIZ

Re: Best hiking boot for the value??

Post by GSPVIZ » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:57 pm

I got a pair of the Hi-Tec Altitude IV's at Sports Authority at the recommendation of Gar-Dog. They are VERY comfortable and inexpensive.

The only downside is that the sides of the tongue are not fully integrated with the boot so even though they are "waterproof" I get wet every now and then.

Hotpepper

Post by Hotpepper » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:30 pm

IMHO there is not pricetag for comfort in boots. My favorite hs been and still is the Browning featherlight boots.

Just wonderful for a fella with bad feet

Jerry
2009 NGSPA National Champion R/U
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2071

Jeremiah 29:11

God says He has Plans for Me

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:05 pm

Try on a pair of Vasques.

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:24 pm

I went to Bass Pro and picked up a pair of their Upland Hunter II boots. Just under $100 bucks. I have only had them a few months but have been real pleased with them. I have walked through ankle deep water and not one drop got through. They have been real comfortable too.

djswizz

Post by djswizz » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:44 am

Just bought a pair of Browning Featherlights as well. Only wore them once but I am super happy with them so far. We'll see after the test of time and birds ;-)

http://www.browningfootwear.com/item.as ... ender=Mens

Peak

Post by Peak » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:42 pm

go to sierratradingpost.com.
i got the asolo sasslong boots and they are absolutely awesome. a lot of high end boots on their for bottom dollar prices. i got a $230 dollar pair of boots for $130!!!

res283

Post by res283 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:24 pm

Bought a pair of these a couple years ago, were so comfortable I ended up wearing them everyday. Need a new pair now.
http://www.jayssportinggoods.com/Shop/i ... tID=435427
Not under 100 but well worth it.

Ditch__Parrot

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:25 pm

birdhunt

Post by birdhunt » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:51 pm

I recently bought a pair of Rocky 'Bruins' at Bass Pro for $80, been doing well in the wet grass dove and woodcock hunting..........also very light, which along with being waterproof, is the most important thing for my 66 yr old legs.

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:27 pm

I like the Danner Sharptails (well broken-in), but can also vouch for the Browning Featherweights. Any way you go break-in is critical. If your having blisters get a roll of athletic tape and put a strip over your normal hotspots under your socks and this will stop the blisters.

Kevin WI

Post by Kevin WI » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:43 pm

Thanks...I should mention I'm also looking for the boot to be insulated somewhat...it does get chilly here in WI! :D

Kevin WI

Post by Kevin WI » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:19 pm

I went with the Danner Pronghorns (suggested on another forum) I'll put them to the test this weekend and report back but for now, they feel pretty comfortable. They were on sale too at Cabelas bargain cave which helped.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:02 pm

Do you all buy a boot 1/2 or 1 size bigger than your shoe?
big steve

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:54 am

I find that shoe and boot sizes vary quite a bit. When I try them on, I take a pair of super thick hunting socks to wear to get a realistic fit.

Most of the time, as you say, they're a bit bigger than my dress shoes. Sometimes, though, they are the same and sometimes 1-1/2 sizes larger.

Greg J.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:27 am

The only water proof boot I had found under $100 was the Brittany by Cabelas, I think they are more now. It was an alright boot but did not hold up well. I have Irish Setter, Elk Trackers they are rugged internally waterproof, comfortable from the day I put them on to now four year later. They were $159 (should have bought two pair) at GAnder mountain. The only problem I have is they can be slipery on wet rocks. But that tread is great for everything else. Most light weight "upland boot" are not very rugged and as you know there are a lot of stickers (Broken or cut brush, limbs and roots, and rocks) that get your toes and sides of your foot in the grouse woods. These boots also give you great ankle support, which I need.

I always buy one or 1 1/2 full size bigger, then put a felt inner soal in them and wear one pair of socks wool or polywool type. Always warm and comfy.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Kevin WI

Post by Kevin WI » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:33 pm

I go with a half size....with the walking that I do, I need a fairly snug fit as it beats blisters.

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:09 pm

I just bought a set of Danner Expedition GTX they seem to be real nice I'll be wearing them hunting this weekend.

ohiohuntinweim

Post by ohiohuntinweim » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:20 pm

I got my Irish Setter WingShooters from Sportsmans Guide. They were half the normal price. I think they were 75-100 bucks. Love them and they are comfy.
Jeremy

"Going to the woods is going home." -John Muir

Nebraska

Post by Nebraska » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:48 pm

For water-proof insulated boots, I've had very good luck with my Rocy Bear Claws.....they're very light and comfy too. I have pretty wide feet so finding a pair that FITS isn't easy either.... :roll:

Kevin WI

Post by Kevin WI » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:44 pm

Have to say, My danner pronghorns were comfy from day one, kept my feet dry (as long as I wasn't wearing them inside so my feet sweat) and warm. Most comfortable boot I've owned. No blisters and no holes in the heels of my socks....

I purchased mine about 1 1/2 months ago, However I'm sending them back as some of the zipper teeth are missing now which makes zipping them up, difficult. We'll see what they say...they sent me a free shipping label already.

(also, didn't know that Danner and Lacrosse are the same company)

Prairie Hunter

Post by Prairie Hunter » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:54 pm

If you’re looking for hiking boots to hunt in, I recommend Danner Radicals. They are very light weight, and comfortable right from the start. I bought them to hunt sharptails and Huns out on the prairies of MT and SD, and they worked great. I just completed the 5th season in my current pair. The soles are a little worn now, so I will replace them for next season. The only problem is they are about $150.

If you are looking for a taller uninsulated hunting boot, I would recommend Danner Pronghorns. They are essentially the same as the Radical.

Born2Hunt

Post by Born2Hunt » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:31 am

You cant go wrong with the Danner Pronghorns I have had them for a few years now and they are one of the best boots I have ever owned. As far as the size goes bring a good pair of socks and see which one feels the best.. :D

jakemaster

Post by jakemaster » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:07 am

You cant go wrong with the Danner Pronghorns I have had them for a few years now and they are one of the best boots I have ever owned
I second this choice. Hunt with them in south carolina and used them in extreme hunting in Idaho. Never a problem with feet. :D