Respect

zoomaster23

Respect

Post by zoomaster23 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:23 pm

I know in order to have a well trained and behaved dog your dog has to respect you as the leader. I know of a couple little ways to get a dog to respect you like :

1. Not letting him go through a doorway first
2. Making him wait to eat til you say its ok
3. Keeping him off furniture

What are some other ways to get total respect?

sjohnny

Re: Respect

Post by sjohnny » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:26 pm

I can go along with the first two but Milo can't see the TV as well from the floor and he likes to sit by me on the couch in case he gets scared if we're watching a horror flick. He also likes to read in bed with me.

I have made a point of making him wait until I go through the door or gate and he doesn't eat until I tell him it's okay.

John

Boxa

Post by Boxa » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:40 pm

Be consistent with expectations and expect the dog to be consistent in its response.
Caleb F. Bryson
Bryson's Boxa Kennel

FC/AFC Bryson's Boxa Briarpatch Baby SH
FC/AFC Bryson's Boxa Lucky St. Lindy SH
DC/AFC Bryson's Boxa Wendell W. Woodbriar

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:59 pm

Be fair Be Direct Be consistant

Don't reward the undesired behaviors

and never let your dog learn how to steal pillows
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:38 pm

One way is when you let your dog into bed with you, you make it mandatory that she stays on your wife's side of the bed.

Nebraska

Post by Nebraska » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:43 pm

kninebirddog wrote:Be fair Be Direct Be consistant

Don't reward the undesired behaviors

and never let your dog learn how to steal pillows
Great post!! Almost spit coffee on the keyboard when I read #3.... :lol:

Ditch__Parrot

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:00 pm

kninebirddog wrote: and never let your dog learn how to steal pillows

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:27 am

It's not about having a bunch of rules like you've listed, it's about providing clarity and consistency in whatever it is you do happen to require.

(How much effect do you really think not going through a door first has on a dog that then spends its day going through the field ahead of you? Knowing it must await your permission to go through a door would be another matter entirely.)
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

h.q.s

Post by h.q.s » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:31 am

That's a good one about not letting them go through the door before you. I have taught all my dogs back. So I tell them back and they wait for me to go through the door. Also I use back for the kennel. I never let them blot out of the kennel. Also the biggest one is obedience. If they obey you, they respect you. Also something I do with my pups and dogs is put my hand in their mouth, they fight and pull but they learn to chill out and so you can do what ever you want to. Then you can stick them. Through doing that a few times, they learn your the master and have control over them. Therefore, you get their respect!

Nice post, getting respect from your dog is very important! I have noticed that hunting with a dog that respects you and is a lot funner because they just don't take off. They check in with you and are eager to please. When you have the respect down, then form then on they are just loyal companions!

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:52 pm

if you have to command a dog to do something - is it respect?
how do you know it is respect? why not just a trained behavior? or perhaps fear?
what is respect to a dog?

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:50 pm

Sometimes I read the crap people put up on here and I just shake my head... Seriously..

Having dogs abide by these aforementioned rules is Communist Malarkey. Sounds like someone with an inferiority complex came up with these ideas. I have 3 dogs indoors (1 Lab & 2 EP's) and It would be an absolute circus if I made sure none went thru a doorway before me. Secondly, If my dogs Indoors and out, could only eat when I said, that would also be rediculous. What if you are gone on vacation? Does the dog wait to eat until you come back and say its okay? Because if you have the person who feeds him while you're gone say its okay, then how does that bestow the GLORY AND HONOR AND RESPECT you need from your dog to you? :lol: :roll:

If you want respect from your dog, let him be a dog. I learned early as a trainer that respect is earned foremost by trust. Not by Dominating them.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

zoomaster23

Post by zoomaster23 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:02 am

prairiefirepointers wrote:Sometimes I read the crap people put up on here and I just shake my head... Seriously..

Having dogs abide by these aforementioned rules is Communist Malarkey. Sounds like someone with an inferiority complex came up with these ideas. I have 3 dogs indoors (1 Lab & 2 EP's) and It would be an absolute circus if I made sure none went thru a doorway before me. Secondly, If my dogs Indoors and out, could only eat when I said, that would also be rediculous. What if you are gone on vacation? Does the dog wait to eat until you come back and say its okay? Because if you have the person who feeds him while you're gone say its okay, then how does that bestow the GLORY AND HONOR AND RESPECT you need from your dog to you? :lol: :roll:

If you want respect from your dog, let him be a dog. I learned early as a trainer that respect is earned foremost by trust. Not by Dominating them.
I'd say communist is a little extreme. Going through a doorway first can also prevent getting tripped up or your kids getting knocked over. Its not too much to ask...I do it with 3 beagles and a brit.
The food thing works in my case because (if you know how beagles love food) the food container has been knocked outta my hands and all over the floor..several times. And I don't mean put food infront of them and make them wait a half hour..just until all the food makes it to the bowl

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:01 pm

Perhaps, but it's still Malarkey! :P
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:08 pm

I do the bowl and the ok cause I can't stand a dog jumping around mindlessly...they can stand ther with some manners not knocking stuff around like a bull in a china shop

I also like the dog not to bust by me through the door..again nothing about being anything other then a dog with manners same with coming out of a kennel they can stand there and get a leash on not trying to plow by me and get loose to get run over by a vehicle specially when we are on the road traveling
a dog that listens and has manners is less likely to get away from you and be harmed

Nothing like watching someone chase their dog around a rest area to only watch it get hit by on coming traffic :cry:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:27 pm

Respect comes from being treated fairly.
You can't treat a dog fairly unless you understand that everything he does is what you have taught him.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:06 pm

Kmack wrote:Respect comes from being treated fairly.
You can't treat a dog fairly unless you understand that everything he does is what you have taught him.
That scares me. How come my three are all so different? And if that applies to our kids too, as it must, then I sure taught my twins diffently let alone the other kids.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:22 pm

Ezzy,

Maybe I'm oversimplifying it. What I mean is that the first place to look for fault when you get a behavior you don't want is to your training. Ask yourself: What have I done to allow/cause this behavior and/or What can I do in my training to eliminate this behavior in the future?

If your initial reaction to unwanted behavior is blame the dog then you are going to respond in a way that will not garner respect.

I don't think I agree with the premise of your second statement that "Dog Training = Raising Children" but I think my view on respect is probably applicable in both cases.

Kevin

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:55 pm

Well put Kmack.

As a trainer myself I agree with the aforementioned. What are you doing or have you done to allow this behavior?
I have 3 dogs in the house.. All of them getting a little rowdy and restless because they know cooler weather = Bird Season, although nothing that would consitute bad house manners in my book. To my point.. House rules and Field rules are 2 entirely different tangents. My dogs are welcome to roam the house, if they walk thru a doorway before me big deal. However, they know that when I head for the front door and say 'BACK', that they are to stay. While I would'nt want a dog jumping all over me at chowtime either, it has never been an issue.

I realize that we must agree to disagree at some point... Although I can't help but get annoyed when I feel like people are trying to raise Robots instead of Dogs. Until I found this thread, I never even pondered "Do my dog's respect me?" Much less digress it. I guess it's because I know inherently thru their actions they do. Perhaps it's because I've owned and trained enough dogs that I don't need to show off how much control I have over an inferior being.
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:36 pm

zoomaster23 wrote:I know in order to have a well trained and behaved dog your dog has to respect you as the leader. I know of a couple little ways to get a dog to respect you like :

3. Keeping him off furniture

What are some other ways to get total respect?

Welcome to the forum. You didn't get a very pleasant start. Hang in. There are lots of fine people here who want to help out newer dog people. This forum is for everyone - experienced and new. What you posted is commonly taught in many books/seminars etc. I practise some of those things myself, especially with a pushy dog .
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

zoomaster23

Post by zoomaster23 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:06 pm

Thats cool everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I appologize for any miscommunication but by "go through doorway" I meant front door or door to outside. LOL it never occurred to me that there are doorways inside the house. :oops:

By no means do I want my dog to be a robot or servant but I do believe that we have to get the point across that we are "alpha male" I guess you could say. Otherwise we are pack members. I guess what my question should be is how do we become that alpha male, because all of the love in the world still doesn't keep my 1 yr old brit from sprinkling all over my dining room. He wouldn't do that if he respected me would he? (serious question)

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:33 pm

Don't sweat it man. I do some of the same things myself. The fact of the matter is the dog has to repect you as leader of the pack and a dog who blows past you through a doorway or gateway clearly does not feel you are a strong leader of the pack. When I started making mine wait to eat until I said so and allow me to proceed throough a gateway first I began to notice a little difference in her attitude when given commands. It was more of a willingness than a begrudging has to attitude. Blow these guys off.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:37 pm

Dogs arent' human. They don't think like us. They don't say, 'I'd better not do that because I respect my master." Would be great if they did. :) When a dog "snubs its' nose " at us, It isn't a personal things although sometimes..........

If your dog is spraying, you need to look into getting him neutered perhaps. Lots of different opinions on this. I'd be talking to my vet.

I'm sure others on here can deal with that topic much better then me.

PS I was going to say before that when I take my 3 from the house to the car for training etc., I make them sit in the doorway and call them to the car by name. Sets the tone before we start that they need to be listening and doing as asked.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

h.q.s

Post by h.q.s » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:47 pm

There are simple rules that dogs should be expected to follow. To be honest, dogs are much happier when they do have structure. It gives them something to work for and something they can do to please you. Not saying they should be robots or anything like that.

But I have hunted with a dog that respects me and I have hunted with one that didn't care about my rules and was "Just being a dog"

The one that had the respect down was just a joy to be around and I could actually focus on getting birds and enjoying hunting rather than always worrying what hes doing and where he is at.