Cabela's Brittany boots?

GSPVIZ

Cabela's Brittany boots?

Post by GSPVIZ » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:48 pm

Does anyone have any experience with these? They are 200 gram. I am wondering if they would be warm enough for the winter hunts.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

Ditch__Parrot

Re: Cabela's Brittany boots?

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:07 pm

I don't have any experience with them but I wouldn't worry about them being warm enough for upland hunting. Usually I worry more about boots being too warm. Sweaty feet = Cold feet. 200 I would think would be fine for late season but I prefer uninsulated most of the year. Ohh and personally I don't think you can have enough insulation for duck or goose hunting.

They look like a real nice pair of boots for the $$$

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:08 pm

Ive found my feet stay pretty warm as long as Im walking.

steingre

Post by steingre » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:13 pm

Second year on my second pair- first pr. lasted three seasons. I wear them for most hunts- Iowa seasons can be snowy and quite cold- as long as I'm trying to keep up with my dogs, I never notice the cold! The only negative about them is that they tend to wear out too quick- by the end of year three, the first pair was pretty ragged- but, considering the cost...they are a pretty good boot. Very light, water resistant (NOT GoreTex!), and very comfortable!

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:21 pm

Ditch__Parrot

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:49 pm

Never had that pair but I did have a $160 pair of Irish Setters a few years ago. I had justified the price by thinking they would last me a good long while. Unfortunately most of the stitching ripped out before the end of a single season. I was very dissapointed and will never buy another pair of Irish Setters.

Ditch__Parrot

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:00 pm

My boots.
1) These are very cumfy, fairly light and are holding up very well. Good all around boot
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true
2) These are a little heavy but wear like iron I can't seem to wear them out no matter how hard I try.
http://www.bellevilleshoe.com/product.p ... product=10

Brushbustin Sporting Dogs

Post by Brushbustin Sporting Dogs » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:47 pm

I'd go with the Brittany's any thing named after the best bird dog has to be good... :wink: Cabelas makes carries nice boots.

Rob
Robert Myers

Rajin Kennel

308-870-3448

Brittanys are Best enough said...

BBD's Ca-Ching
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1061

Brushbustin's Ebbie SH
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=678

BNJ's Dirty Dozen Dixie
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=869

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:55 pm

ATTENTION FOLKS! I think GSPVIZ officially has the bug. He got his FID permit today, is buying guns and hunting gear and dog training equipment and has joined a training club. I think we should send condolences to his wife, a seemingly gentle teacher who will have plenty of alone time to grade papers during hunting seasons to come.

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:57 pm

For the upland hunting, a lot of the times I will wear my hiking boots. Like someone said earlier cold is often not an issue, comfort and waterproof(for those heavy frost mornings or late season snows).

There are a lot of good hiking boots out there that are made for a lot of miles. That may be a good direction to look.

Brandon

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:19 am

GSPVIZ -

Those cordura Irish Setters look very similar to the Rocky's that I like. They probably will wear about the same. I have come to prefer boots that have cushioning at the top of the boot opening opposite from the laces. I absolutely detest having to "break in" boots.

The big thing for me is how they fit and if they are waterproof, pretty much in that order. If I am going to be walking for 3-4 hours or more, I want a boot that is comfortable. If I need warmth, a pair of nylon dress socks next to your skin with a wool sock over that will provide considerable warmth. If I am walking it is not a problem, but if i am standing around(deer hunting) I dop not use the same boots. If I were to hike in and then be on stand all day, I'd probably use my upland boots to hike ito the stand and then change to Sorel Pacs that I carried in my backpack.

When I trial, I often wear a pair of mid height(7") hiking boots(Cabela's Grand Mesa Hiker?? or the LL Bean's version). They are just high enough to offer ankle support, but are very light in weight. I don't know how well they would hold up to kickng the brush.

RayG

midwestfisherman

Post by midwestfisherman » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:49 pm

I've got a pair of Brittany's, they're going on their third season and still going strong. Nice boot for the money.
Image * Image

"Your best conservation tool is a well trained hunting dog"

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:20 pm

gar-dog wrote:ATTENTION FOLKS! I think GSPVIZ officially has the bug. He got his FID permit today, is buying guns and hunting gear and dog training equipment and has joined a training club.
I sure do have the bug! Getting the gun this week probably. Can't wait to get out there and nail some pheasants.
gar-dog wrote:I think we should send condolences to his wife, a seemingly gentle teacher who will have plenty of alone time to grade papers during hunting seasons to come.
I told her that I wanted her to come shooting with me but I don't think that is a good idea for a pregnant woman. :? I had her come with me 1 time to train and she almost had a heart attack since the dogs were going "too far" out. :D

Chief_dog

Post by Chief_dog » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:05 pm

I'm hard on boots and chaps. I wear out at least one pair of boots each season, and chaps last me about the same. I like the Brittany boots (just ordered another pair). I've owned three pairs, and each time they lasted me most of a hunting season. I've spent two to three times the money on more expensive boots, and the more expensive ones haven't lasted me any longer than the brittany.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:36 pm

This is where I usually buy my boots.

http://www.SportsmansGuide.com/net/sect ... 6601&gif=Y

They have some excellent buys and the boots I have bought have all been good.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:29 am

Sierra Trading Post also has some interesting bargains from time to time on name brand boots. I bought some shoes there two years ago, and they spam the heck out of me with "we want you back, here is a 25% off coupon - but act now, blah blah" emails. But if I wanted a pair of expensive Danner boots, I know I could dig up 25% off of already discounted prices. It is almost worth buying something from them for $10 just to get their spam, and make up a yahoo account to receive it.

GSPVIZ - The Field & Stream boots I got at "bleep" that you said you cannot imagine wearing all day, are extremely comfortable. I was in them 10 hours a day last week, and I NEVER even thought about my feet. I plunged through a lot of murk and stayed completely dry.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:55 am

Sportsman Guide will send you a list of bargains every week or so if you want it. They do have some awesome prices on discontinued items plus many other things.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

jmas

Post by jmas » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:37 pm

I have been looking at the Brittany Boots as well. Last year I bird hunted in my Merrell hiking boots. Merrell boots are very comfortable and very durable, the best I have ever had. I have been wearing a pair of Merrells for about 2-4 days a week for the past 2 years and they are holding up well. I bought a pair of Irish Detters this spring and have used them for turkey hunting and deer hunting so far, they are not as comfortable as I wanted them to be. The only boot I will never buy again (and I hate saying never)is Rocky's. I had a pair of $100.00 plus rockys and they lasted about 2 months (sole comming off), I took them to my local boot repair guy and he said they were not repairable, he also said that he sees that all the time with rockys.

WISpringer

Post by WISpringer » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:52 am

I have a 200 g pair going into its third season. They have been great for the price; durable and room enough for orthotic inserts. They are way too warm for hunts from September through November, and I get cold feet easily. As far as warmth for winter hunts, I've wore them during a december South Dakota hunt, temps were in the single digits. They were OK if walking, but my feet got cold immediately when posting. I wore them one day and wore by 800 g boots the rest of time. The only gripe I have is the aggressiveness of the soles. It has a tendency to slide in the snow and can be slippery when the woods are wet during fall grouse hunts. They are welt constructed so they can be resoled, which ran me just under $60.

With the money paid to purchase and resole the boots, if I had to do over again I would have purchased a non-insulated regular hunting boots. The tread of most of upland hunting boots seem to too unagressive for my tastes.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:15 am

I had a pair of the brittany boots, they lasted about two seasons. They are the only upland boot that I have found that is truely water proof. That includes my browning, LLbeans Irish setters etc. But when they finally decided to break down they went fast.

200 grams is perfect for all hunting a foot.

I have the Irish Setter Elk country now. &159 10" Best boot I have ever owned.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:54 pm

Danner Sharptail Covey II zip back boots. Great boots and waterproof, much better than the Cabelas Upland Premiere boots I bought a few years ago. The uninsulated version of the Cabelas boot was not waterproof at all and was very uncomfortable to try and break in.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:45 pm

Coincidentally, i just ordered a pair of the cabela's Brittany boot yesterday. They are on sale for $79.99 I stopped by the store, and curiously the one in PA does not carry them.

I hear they arent great in the snow, but I wear Columbia Pac boots for that. I am looking for a very lightweight Fall boot, and these puppies are only 2.8 pounds!