My GSP's Hate the water

briarpatch

My GSP's Hate the water

Post by briarpatch » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:48 pm

Just Kidding ..as you can see..
Took my pups for a quick training walk the other day through the woods as the upland season isn't quite here yet, opens NOV 8th came upon a small ditch for them to cross..Figured they would just jump it and keep on trucking cause it was like 50 that afternoon a bit cool but instead ...
didn't have the heart to call the nuts out right away they looked like they was enjoying themselves to much..so I gave them a few minutes and shot a quick pic or 2 with my cell phone....thought you all might enjoy them..

naperdog

Re: My GSP's Hate the water

Post by naperdog » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:18 pm

I did enjoy the shots. There is nothing better than seeing dogs really enjoying themselves!

vikings269

Post by vikings269 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:38 pm

funny every gsp i had was maybe a little hesitant when young but always exploded into the water when not a young pup, they seem to have no fear!

kumate

Post by kumate » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:22 pm

Dennis awesome pics they look like they are having a blast!

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:33 am

You folk must have very different lines of G.S.P.'s to the U.K. Many of our G.S.P.'s' and some of the other versatile breeds really do hate water. Every field trial for these breeds in this country must include a water retrieve (using cold gamebirds) this is to ensure that only dogs that will swim get into the awards. Things are getting better now but 20 years ago water test failures were fairly common.

My own G.S.P.'s will go in for fun during the summer months but by this time of year they only go in readily if there is a bird in the water. My 22 month old lad went swimming a few times at a shoot a week ago for pheasants about 80 -90 yards out into a loch. That is not very usual here.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

briarpatch

Post by briarpatch » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:44 am

Bill T,
my Caliber is from probably what you would call an american bloodline he used to be a bit hesitant when younger entering the water and would only enter when you threw something in for him to retrieve but I know other people who own dogs from this line that have always just blasted in the water for the heck of it , and Now he just blasts in there for the fun of it as you can see..
my Belle is from mostly a German or DK line you probibly heard of and is probably popular in the UK also she is mostly from the hege-haus lines and she has always loved the water and always just plowed into the water for the heck of it and runs under the hose almost everytime you water her (its funny to watch her get so excited about the hose)..I took her to the beach at eight weeks old and she just charged into the water..I got pictures of her on my website at 12 weeks old doing water retrieves.. Both dogs seem to be gonna turn out to be awesome if my poor training technics doesn't mess them up to bad :D I am really happy with them both..and think I made good choices with both bloodlines for my style of hunting..
Would love to see some pictures of your dogs doing them retrieves and hear more about your UK dogs and hunting over there..

Dennis

briarpatch

Post by briarpatch » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:54 am

Glad you guys and gals are enjoying the pics anybody got any pictures of their dogs or pups acting silly or acting like nuts or just having a good time would love to see them...

dlfl

Post by dlfl » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:49 am

Dіck

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:41 pm

Hi Dennis, I still do some hunting with my dogs. Now two G.S.P.'s and two working cockers and sometimes my sons Brittany but I'm past the sixty barrier and I've got a couple of things limiting my mobility now. I now do more "picking up" than actual hunting type shooting - in fact I no longer do any shooting, I work my dogs for others that do.

Sorry if I'm teaching my grannies how to suck eggs here but maybe an explanation of "picking - up" is in order just in case you don't understand the term - many of your American terms leave me baffled ! :lol:

Picking -up is all about retrieving. The dogs only hunting involves finding dead or pricked birds - often dozens of them in one drive.
The birds, pheasants, ducks, partridge and grouse are "driven " by beaters over the guns with the terrain, whenever possible, making the birds fly high to provide high testing shots. Some shoots shoot "double guns" with loaders. The loaders job is to hand "the gun" a loaded gun as soon as he has fired the other one at the birds streaming overhead. A lot of birds can be shot in just one drive doing this. Most driven shoots will do about 6 drives in one day. That can mean several hundred birds hit the ground - or the water !

My job, along with the other pickers up ,is to get those birds into the bag and then into the gamecart. Decent retrieving dogs are essential for doing this. I customarily work two or three dogs at a time while doing this. Some pickers up work more. The job can totally knacker a dog. The birds fall - and run - and swim where they will and dogs that can be under control yet be hard going game finders are what is required.The work is hectic for a picker up on a busy drive. You need eyes in the back of your head and the ability to make an instant decision as to whether to send a dog at once or leave that bird to be hunted for at the end of a drive in order to ensure that other falling birds are not missed or lost.

I love it but it doesn't suit everyone - a bit too busy and maybe a bit too heavy on gray matter usage for some !

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

briarpatch

Post by briarpatch » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:18 pm

Great picture D. lambert LOL this thing edits out your first name when I put it in :lol:

Thats sounds very fun Bill think I seen that on TV. thats where basically a group of guys/gals chase the birds out of a field over a hill or cliff to a bunch of shooters on the other side your talking about right?

Got any pictures of one one those hunts would love to see them..

DaveyCroketJr

Post by DaveyCroketJr » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:09 pm

GSP hatin water, nooo :D

briarpatch

Post by briarpatch » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:35 pm

Thats one cool picture Davey, you should have that dog doing them dock dog events ..if you don't already ..Looks like he's a natural