Great day training

GSPVIZ

Great day training

Post by GSPVIZ » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:55 pm

Today we went to our training club. Great day. It was around 65 deg. with about a 10-15 mph wind. I let her out of the jeep. She lost a couple of lbs :wink: and she crossed the dirt road. Came up to a row of wild grass and she pointed hard. Flushed them and shot the blank pistol 2x (no reaction-this was the second training session with the blank gun). This was about 1 min after we got out of the truck.

In total we got on about 6 or 7 coveys. She really showed some nice intensity in her points today. One time she got on point in mid stance (back leg up) but my pistol was out of blanks. I had to unload the gun, take the blanks out of my pocket and I loaded the gun to it's capacity. She didn't move 1 inch (probably a good minute since I dropped a couple).

I was a proud papa today. Nov 13th we will be going on our first hunt on state stocked pheasant grounds. I cant wait! :lol:

gar-dog

Re: Great day training

Post by gar-dog » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:12 am

Sounds like you are well on your way to having a fine hunting partner!

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:22 am

Yeah, I was really proud of her yesterday.

It was such a nice day also. There wasn't 1 other person on the training grounds. I got there at 3pm. It was nice to hear peace and quite (until I used the blank pistol :D )

Gary-I want to get to the club this weekend with the 12 ga. but there is a trial. What time do they normally get over?

sambuca

Post by sambuca » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:57 pm

GSPVIZ,

Sounds like you are having fun with your dog and that she's making great progress. Isn't this a blast? I cant believe I waited so long to get a bird dog.

Stop by in the afternoon. If the trial isn't over rent a horse from the wrangler and check it out. These dogs will amaze you and make you want to work even harder toward that perfect bird dog. When you see a broke dog hold a rock solid point for several minutes and hold it through the flush and shot... Its amazing! If you don't want to ride, just introduce yourself and talk to some people. These are the friendliest folks around and you can learn a ton from them.

Once everything is wrapped up, you will find plenty of birds for the shotgun training. The course will essentially run the perimeter of the club so take your dog on lead far from the clubhouse and have at it. Just make sure you ask several people to confirm everything is over. Being out on the course with your shotgun could be quite embarrassing, not to mention, dangerous. And don't shoot the quail, against club rules.

Have fun!

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:54 pm

I think I am sub consciously trying to not go watch a trial because I will get sucked into it! :lol:

Yea I will just wait until everyone is gone then do my training. I don't plan on shooting the birds (I know that it is not allowed), i just want to shoot some blanks with the 12 ga.