Pigeon trapping question

BCA1228

Pigeon trapping question

Post by BCA1228 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:23 am

I got my pigeon trap in the mail yesterday, and want to go ahead and put it out. My question is this: Is it necessary to start putting feed out w/out the trap in the area I plan to put the trap, or can I just go ahead and put the trap out with feed in and around it? Thoughts?

vzkennels

Re: Pigeon trapping question

Post by vzkennels » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:28 am

When I trapped pigeons I put my trap out along with food around it & leading into it.I wired the trap doors up untill they started entering it then dropped them,it took a couple wks before I was trapping them.GOOD LUCK!!

BCA1228

Post by BCA1228 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:39 am

The way mine is set up, there is really no good way to modify so birds can walk in and out. I'll probably just put it out and see what happens I guess. I sure hope it doesn't take several weeks though. Here's the trap:

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:45 am

BCA-
It looks like your missing the most integral part of a pigeon trap, bobs~!~ Am I missing them? You need those so that they can walk in but then get "trapped", henceforth the name of the con"trap"tion. :wink: :lol:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:32 am

I have never seen a pigeon trap like that but can see it works on he same principal as a minnow trap.I am curious to know if it will work,let us know.

BCA1228

Post by BCA1228 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:50 am

I was thinking the same thing Topher. There are definetely no bobs to this trap. I bought it on ebay, and am trusting the seller's confidence in this design. There is a small hanging wire flap that extends about 2 inches into the cage from the end of the entry funnel. I'm a little skeptical, but I'm careful not to underestimate the stupidity of the pigeon. Could the width of the small end of the funnel be small enought to keep them inside?

BDBUzi

Post by BDBUzi » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:31 am

I wouldn't completely underestimate them.
I've seen wild pigeons escape out of my loft which has a nice, commercially made trap with heavy duty bobs.

It may also help to have a live bird in the trap to act as a decoy etc...
When I empty some traps around here for people, they require me to leave one bird behind.
And I've also noticed that they have food and water in the traps.

Good luck!

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:31 am

If that doesn't work but the birds do go in, simply make a bob over the opening.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!