Finding Homes For Puppies

JenvyBritts

Finding Homes For Puppies

Post by JenvyBritts » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:43 pm

How do you all find good homes for your puppies?

Do you have a questionnaire/contract for each pup?
Jenvy Brittanys & Show Handling
http://www.freewebs.com/jenvy

Home of CH Kountrytyme Mtn Of Fire N Ice CGC "Jenna"
FC Ptd/BISS CH Blueridge's Wind of Adventure "Rhett"

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Finding Homes For Puppies

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:52 pm

contracts ..i have one should a client request one..I do not force a person into one as in truth they are not worth the paper they are written on

you do the best you can...there are no gaurantees

I do not advertise in the newspaper...to many impulse tire kickers there \

word of mouth working with the people you know who know your dogs and do they do what they were bred for is the ruote I ahve used

also the gundog breeders has worked pretty good ....as again your dealing more with people who are looking for birddogs

then you pray for the best
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Brushbustin Sporting Dogs

Post by Brushbustin Sporting Dogs » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:16 pm

I've been pretty lucky with finding good homes fast for my puppies. I advertise in places where people would go if they wanted a hunting dog. gundog breeders,gundogsonline, referral through my ABC club, etc. You can tell by talking to people usually if its someone you would want to have one of your puppies. The problem I had last litter was getting them into homes where they would compete in some venue. I kept mine that competes and one other is in hunt test. Thats what I am really going to try harder at is getting my puppies in homes where they can compete in some venue but I think thsi is harder than finding good hunting homes for them.

Rob
Robert Myers

Rajin Kennel

308-870-3448

Brittanys are Best enough said...

BBD's Ca-Ching
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1061

Brushbustin's Ebbie SH
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=678

BNJ's Dirty Dozen Dixie
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=869

briarpatch

Post by briarpatch » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:22 pm

never been a breeder, so no real advise but there is another thread thought you may be interested in on contracts and may not have seen

http://www.gundogforum.com/forum/viewto ... 69&t=12411

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:57 am

I have to agree with Knine, word of mouth is the best way. I normally have several calls from people who have either hunted behind my dogs or one of their pups. If your dog does what it is bred to do, people will come asking about puppies. I prefer owners who hunt or trial, but will not turn down someone looking for a good family member or show dog. Bottom line, I go with my gut on whether or not the person will make a good owner. If my gut says no, I look for someone who will. If you are thinking of breeding, it is also good to have at least some prospective buyers lined up. Right now, I have 3 deposits and 5 interested buyers in the litter due Dec. 28, 2008.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:55 pm

We announce the possible mating , provide pedigrees and wait and see.

We don't breed until all the pups are sold and we have a deposit for each one. ( Even then people sometimes back out.)

If no one wants the pup ahead of time then we shouldn't be breeding.that litter.

Just our position.

This also cuts down on people who want the pup NOW ( impulse buyers). You "get owners to be" who have thought things out thoroughly and don't mind waiting
Last edited by Sharon on Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

JenvyBritts

Post by JenvyBritts » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:12 pm

I've announced the upcoming breeding all over. I've gotten a few replies, but most people want the puppy NOW. I have one person on the waiting list for a bitch puppy.

The co-owner of my bitch wants the litter by his DC stud dog. And they want her bred her next season. So I'm trying to find homes, since I dont want the whole litter sitting around for months, or the pups to go to the co-breeders kennel for months as well without training or anything until someone comes along to buy one. You know? They still have 3 pups left from their last litter, who are now I think 5 months.

So I appreciate all the thoughts and help. Anyone wanting a Brittany puppy in the summer let me know! :)

More ideas are much appreciated.

MOOSE

Post by MOOSE » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:23 pm

If they haven't been able to place the pups out of the last litter why would this one be any different? Just my opinion but I wouldn't breed til they were able to place those pups. unless they were purpously holding them back to train and sell later..... just something else to think about.
Beth
UWP GRCH UMJCH BNJ Shooter's Rising Phoenix CGC-GSP
USUV UMJCH Flying High Rajah TDI- APBT
UJJ CH Legacyk FlwCrk The Old Peublo RD- GSP
UWP UCD UMJ URO1 GRCH BNJ Rumor Has It CGC RN RD NA II- GSP

JenvyBritts

Post by JenvyBritts » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:10 pm

Exactly, thats my thought and worry. I dont have too much say in the matter, since I got this bitch with the plan that she would eventually be bred to their dog, that was the original plan. And the co-owners daughter is the one that wants a pup from her.

And being the primary owner on papers, and being the one who she lives with, and I finished her in the show ring, how much say do I have? I dont want to start any fights or anything.
Last edited by JenvyBritts on Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:17 am

MOOSE wrote:If they haven't been able to place the pups out of the last litter why would this one be any different? Just my opinion but I wouldn't breed til they were able to place those pups. unless they were purpously holding them back to train and sell later..... just something else to think about.

Exactly
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:00 am

Two things:
Sharon, having all of the puppies sold is a good idea. However, that is not always possible. For instance, in our last litter, we had 8 buyers lined up and suddenly we had 10 puppies. Unless you have some extrasensory way of telling how many puppies will be whelped that I don't, I'll stick with having a good number of buyers lined up. :wink:

Second. I have talked with several breeder/trainers who have found that more people have been asking about started dogs than usual. That being the case, maybe breeding and starting the dogs (if you have the time and the room) is the better idea. :?:

MOOSE

Post by MOOSE » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:55 am

So is their name on the papers at all? It sounds like the dog is just under your name. Did you have a contract stating when the breeding would take place or a contract at all stating the co-ownership?

They should understand that you are looking out for the best interest of the future pups and be ok with waiting til you have some buyers lined up. If they are not ok with this I would worry about that in the long run being a partnership that isn't worth worrying about.

I am purchasing a pup on a co-ownership now and I have all confidence in the person I am getting the pup from that they will only want to do what is best by her in the long run along with the well being of the pups. If that means it takes longer for the future breeding to happen then so be it.
Beth

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:04 am

With the turn this thread has taken, I'm going to suggest that, before you respond again, that you pick up the phone and have this discussion with your co-owner and express your concerns. This is a public message board, so if your co-owner gets wind of what's being said up here, you run the risk of severely damaging a relationship that seems to have worked for you up until now. JMO
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

JenvyBritts

Post by JenvyBritts » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:40 am

The dog is under my name, and they are on as co-owners.

We do not have any sort of contract. I got her as a juniors dog to show in juniors and the breed ring to finish her. It was known that their daughter wanted a puppy from her.

I just dont know how much say or control I should have in the matter. I dont want to start anything by thinking I have too much power over the decision. I mean, I know they want a puppy, but I'm cautious about it, especially when they have pups left from past litters.

AND the daughter that wants this breeding done, is breeding the bitch she chose over my bitch to the same stud at the same time.....
Last edited by JenvyBritts on Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MOOSE

Post by MOOSE » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:49 am

hmm......have you talked to them about the concerns you have?

If so what was their response?

Making sure you have a good relationship with the person you co-own a dog with is very improtant but the dogs health and future health of the pups needs to be TOP priority!
Beth

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:23 pm

One of quite a few reason why I will never Co Own a female
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

jetto

Post by jetto » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:54 pm

Rose,
Karen gave you really good advice. You have been talking about your litter on the Brittany lists. Those of us in the breed know exactly who you are airing your concerns about out here. This is NOT the place to do that if you want YOUR reputation to remain intact. Do you have reason to be concerned? Maybe. I don't know- And neither do ANY of these other people on this forum. They are only getting your side of the story. Do yourself a really big favor and take your concerns to your breeders. You may easily be able to clear the air and feel better about breeding your bitch. Or you may come to an agreement not to breed her and feel better. Either way- this is business between you and them.

Hearing "well they have puppies left from their last litter" only tells us what YOU are seeing. They could be hanging onto those puppies for their own reasons. They could be waiting for competition homes. The last two dogs we bought were 5 months and 7 months respectively. And they certainly weren't culls! LOL! The breeders were waiting for the RIGHT home to come along and didn't mind hanging onto them until it did.

And making insinuations that breeding another bitch at the same time to the same stud is a bad thing makes no sense. They are a competition kennel. They breed dogs. They have their own agenda just as you have yours. You may not agree with what they do and if not- perhaps you should have gone elsewhere to buy your dog.

Asking opinions and questions is one thing but you are insinuating that these very successful and long time breeders are less than reputable. Please take it privately with your breeder and clear the air about this breeding that you are obviously concerned about. No one on this forum can help you do that- they can only give opinions when only getting your side of the story. And as the old saying goes "there are always two sides to a story". Kristi

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:39 pm

I have an easy answer for you. Let them do it.

When the bitch that you co- own is impregnated, leave her with the co-owner and tell them that you will pick up the bitch at 5 weeks post partum and that they should have the pups weaned by then.

This way the entire pregnancy and the resultant puppies are theirs to deal with.

If they don't agree to those terms, then the mating doesn't happen.

Just because you are a co-owner, that does not mean you are also the midwife and puppy raiser and seller.

RayG

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:42 pm

I have no side to this matter, but I will say that both sides make good arguments (not points).
I have noticed in a relitively short amount of time a few people actually adding positive and constructive thought to peoples problems, and then those who are always jumping in and adding their 2 cents thinking their word is the gospel of dog breeding, training, ownership ect. However, people should also stop airing their dirty laundry so the last of these mentioned people don't have a reason to post their rhetoric. Its just a viscous circle. IMO :wink:
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

JenvyBritts

Post by JenvyBritts » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:28 pm

Thank you to everyone for your thoughts.

I'll bring it up with them and see what happens. I dont want a fight to start or anything. I have a high respect for the co-owner, they've had many field AND show accomplishments and I am so very thankful for them letting me co-own this bitch, she is my pride and joy.

And like others have said, I dont want them seeing this and getting the wrong idea. I probably said too much in some cases, so I should go back and edit my posts.

Also, I have no problem being the puppy raiser, I'm actually very excited about that part. Along with helping find them homes. I dont know, I guess I'm just overthinking the whole thing. They've been nothing but kind to me, and I would recommend them to anyone looking for a Britt.

Thanks again for the help!

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:44 pm

Seeing them puppies grow up and mature is a pure joy in itself! :D
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:53 pm

3Britts wrote:Two things:
Sharon, having all of the puppies sold is a good idea. However, that is not always possible. For instance, in our last litter, we had 8 buyers lined up and suddenly we had 10 puppies. Unless you have some extrasensory way of telling how many puppies will be whelped that I don't, I'll stick with having a good number of buyers lined up. :wink:

Second. I have talked with several breeder/trainers who have found that more people have been asking about started dogs than usual. That being the case, maybe breeding and starting the dogs (if you have the time and the room) is the better idea. :?:

You're absolutley right but Iwe try to even have a waiting list. ( This helps when people back out too.) I'd love to keep some pups and work with them to sell as 'started' dogs but no time or or space here.

I put "stated" in brackets because there are many definitions of "started".:)