Mosquito Spray

Ryan

Mosquito Spray

Post by Ryan » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:02 am

I have been running baley just about every other day latly and you can tell by the amount of big bites her and I both have. Is there any bug spray safe for dogs? If so whats the brand name?

Colleen

Post by Colleen » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:36 am

I was told that bug spray with Deet is not safe for dogs, something about their skin being more porous than ours is. Regardless, the heavy duty bug spray is nasty and creepy. You can buy natural bug spray pretty much anywhere, that is a mix of lemon and oil of eucalyptus. My dogs don't like it, but it doesnt seem to bother their sensitive noses as much as deet. Also, pup better be UTD on heartworm preventive if she's getting bitten!

ViniferaVizslas

Post by ViniferaVizslas » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:10 pm

I've been using Picaridin bases repellant on myself and my 2 Vizslas. Seems to work very well for misquitoes and ticks. OK for deer flies. It's more pleasant to use and is supposed to be safer. My wife works for Spectrum Brands (Cutter) so we got samples.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zht ... highlight=

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:19 pm

I think the Bronco fly spray is fine to use, I have used it around pups.
brenda

Luke's Guide

Post by Luke's Guide » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:37 pm

Ryan,

We get a good batch of dear flies in Virginia this time of year. Drives the dogs bonkers. Used deet on my GSP last year and it caused her to have a grand mal seizure. Very ugly thing to witness. I now use 'Flys Off'. It uses a chrysanthimum (sp) derivitive of all things. I picked it up after hearing about it from a farmer that uses it on his cows. Comes in a spray can. I picked some up a Pet Smart. Hope this helps. It's worked for me.

Bob
aka Bob

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:00 pm

Thanks bob Do you notice it works on mosquitos too. I has been a wet year for us here and it is killing me and Bailey so we need somthing fast.

Katies Dad

Post by Katies Dad » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:28 am

I have also used bronco fly spray it works really well says right on the bottle for horses and dogs. I spray it on her and also on almost everything in her kennel.

Luke's Guide

Post by Luke's Guide » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:27 am

Ryan,

It seems to work for everything. My GSP developed arash. Help fromothers here on GDF plus being better about keeping her sprayed her rash has decreased considerabley. I think the rash was a combo. of something from the river water plus bites from gnats. Mainly from the gnats. Short story long but I've been happy with the 'Flys Off'.

Bob
aka Bob