My dog loves horse poop

redneckdds

My dog loves horse poop

Post by redneckdds » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:19 pm

whats up with that? 3 times I ve taken the pup out he has found horse crap and gobbles it down! the fresher the happier he is... its like gsp crack or something, please tell me this is a "phase" they pass thru and its over soon... anyone have a similar deal happen?

lightonthebay

Re: My dog loves horse poop

Post by lightonthebay » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:23 pm

They all do! It ain't a phase.

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:38 pm

Mine love to roll in it and eat it. Dont you just love it when they lick your face?! :?

BDBUzi

Post by BDBUzi » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:38 pm

I've seen some outgrow it, but I wouldn't count on it.
Has he rolled in it yet?

Wait until he finds a fresh cow patty and decides to save some for later... :roll:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:56 pm

whats up with that? 3 times I ve taken the pup out he has found horse crap and gobbles it down! the fresher the happier he is..
This should be posted on the dogfood posts. After seeing them do this its harder to say dogs don't need vegetable mater in their diets or that some feed has vegetable products in it that my dog won't eat. :oops: :lol: :lol:

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:06 pm

Why waste all that good nutrition that wasn't needed by the first dog/horse? Dogs didn't survive in the wild by their good looks.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:15 pm

You need a better answer than what you have gotten so far. The real reason they do it is they like it. Both taste and smell it seems as they will eat it as you noticed and roll in it so its like the perfume or whatever we use. Basically it is vegetable matter that does them no harm and if truth was known is probably good for them. The worse part of it is what we have been taught to think instead of just realizing it is partially digested vegetable matter.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

redneckdds

Post by redneckdds » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:04 am

other then the obvious, the other concern I have is that once he hit the scent of the crap, nothing else mattered! I know hes very young, but really he was oblivious to us or anything else... what a trip

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:14 am

You know now where you rank. :cry:

Ezzy

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:17 am

error - can't delete
Last edited by Sharon on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:19 am

ezzy333 wrote:You need a better answer than what you have gotten so far. The real reason they do it is they like it. Both taste and smell it seems as they will eat it as you noticed and roll in it so its like the perfume or whatever we use. Basically it is vegetable matter that does them no harm and if truth was known is probably good for them. The worse part of it is what we have been taught to think instead of just realizing it is partially digested vegetable matter.

Ezzy
Interesting fact: Dogs rolling in "stuff" is an instinctual behaviour . It goes away back to when they wanted to hide their natural scent from predators.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:23 pm

Sharon wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:You need a better answer than what you have gotten so far. The real reason they do it is they like it. Both taste and smell it seems as they will eat it as you noticed and roll in it so its like the perfume or whatever we use. Basically it is vegetable matter that does them no harm and if truth was known is probably good for them. The worse part of it is what we have been taught to think instead of just realizing it is partially digested vegetable matter.

Ezzy
Interesting fact: Dogs rolling in "stuff" is an instinctual behaviour . It goes away back to when they wanted to hide their natural scent from predators.
I think they were hiding their scent from their prey since normally they were the predator, but it is evident that they still like it or they wouldn't still be drawn to it and eat it.

Ezzy

BigBoyTank

Post by BigBoyTank » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:18 am

My dog used to eat deer droppings when he was a pup like he was some kind of savage....One day my fiance came and picked him up to bring him home after a morning walk.Tank had just gorged himself on several piles of poo and he puked all over her on the ride home..... he never did eat deerr poop again but Kate washn't too happy when I explained to her what the littel round things were :D That was a phone call I will never forget

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:49 pm

3 out of 3 of my dogs have enjoyed horse poop........took the youngest one to my parent's house for the 1st time this past weekend and he got his 1st (and I'm sure not last) taste :lol:

redneckdds

Post by redneckdds » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:53 pm

ahhh... thought my dog was a freak or something! guess its the norm. and btw, he got a whif of a female dog this weekend and couldnt maintain his sanity! this put his cravings for poop to the back burner... he has hit puberty it appears. nothing was safe, we had to quarantine him from the kids yesterday or they would've been "owned"! and fyi, I AM trying to keep this in the family oriented post's section

jt807

Post by jt807 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:54 pm

BigBoyTank wrote:My dog used to eat deer droppings when he was a pup like he was some kind of savage....One day my fiance came and picked him up to bring him home after a morning walk.Tank had just gorged himself on several piles of poo and he puked all over her on the ride home..... he never did eat deerr poop again but Kate washn't too happy when I explained to her what the littel round things were :D That was a phone call I will never forget
That is very funny.

blackjeephunter

Post by blackjeephunter » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:13 pm

hey, I have a Jack Russell that loves cat mess, that is WAY worse than a horse turd any day. We call it her tootsie rolls. My Brittany pup does seem to show any interest in the mess yet.

The JRT will point/flush also, but flat will tear up a bird if she gets it. Not much use there, plus those short legs kinda leave her behind.

charlie young

Post by charlie young » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:30 pm

Coyotes will follow the cows in the winter, when they get really hungry. But I never recall any of our farm dogs that make or have made a habit of eating horse or cow shi#. Maybe it's no big deal to them when they are around it continuously, about the worst they will ever do is drag up a frozen pile and leave it lay in the yard in the winter.........Now after birth (placenta) is another story, they ALL love that and you don't need to even bother feeding them during calving season.

Charlie

lightonthebay

Post by lightonthebay » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:40 am

Blackjeephunter, I too had a couple of dogs that loved the kitty tootsie rolls. They viewed the cats as fuzzy candy dispensers. I agree, horse poopie is much better choice for them.