Introduced to the 12 ga. today......

GSPVIZ

Introduced to the 12 ga. today......

Post by GSPVIZ » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:25 pm

So as some of you know I planned to introduce my 2 year old Viz, Margo to the 12 ga. today. Took her out the the training grounds with my father in law to help. The first 2 birds she got on, I shot off 2 rounds of the blank pistol (4 in total). This was her 3rd outing with the blank pistol. Again, no reaction.

Then she went on point again, I stood back about 20 yards with my 12 ga. aimed 90 degrees from her. My Father in Law went in to flush, fired off 1 shot with the gun, no reaction :lol:. I was really happy.

Did the same thing again on the next bird and no reaction. At that time it was getting dark so we tried to find another bird but no luck. It was also quite windy so that may have muffled the sound a little.

All in all, I was happy with her outing even though we only got on 4 birds.

Hopefully the rain holds off on Thursday so we can make it out and look for some pheasants (this will be her and my first hunt ever).

Thanks again for all of the advice with the gun intro. It really helped. Now all I have to do, is do it again next spring with my GSP that is afraid of everything! lol.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Introduced to the 12 ga. today......

Post by Sharon » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:01 pm

I could be wrong but I'd say you were lucky.

20 yards away with the dog standing still - with first time on the 12 gauge?

I'd say you were very lucky.

I'm glad it worked out for you.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:10 am

Sharron, with all of the prior work he had done I think there was little if any chance that the 12 guage would bother her. I start all of my pups with a 20 guage and many times am shooting over them the second or third day out. Just have never had a problem as long as the first couple of shots are while they are busy and then I can bring them in to point a pigeon and within a shot or two knock the pigeon down for them. Hopefully if the pup is acting sensitive you would slow the process down a little but I prefer a shotgun for those first shots since it is a lower tone and if aimed away from them it probably is better than a sharp blank pistol report.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:46 am

Yea the blank pistol itself is loud. Rings my ears after a few rounds.

Lucky or not, I am glad that she showed no interest in the noise of the 12 ga. and focused on the birds flushing the whole time :wink:

sambuca

Post by sambuca » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:44 pm

GSPVIZ,

Sounds to me like you are OK. As long as she's busy and has no problem with the sudden crack of a shot, she'll likely be fine. Just keep an eye on her when the shooting happens. My guess is that gun shy dogs within the sporting breeds are the exception, not the norm, and it seems you have brought her to it steadily. I'd still be careful of multiple shots (more than 1 or 2) until you know she's excited by gunfire instead of worried about it. We introduced Sammy to the shotgun a week and a half ago. I killed the first bird on the first shot and the second bird needed a second one. The gunfire and falling bird fired him up even more. This past weekend, at a trial, when he heard a shot he got excited and went crazy looking for the bird. Have fun Thursday and let the Vizla have fun too. I'm looking forward to your post after the first hunt.