blowing coat

up-hunter

blowing coat

Post by up-hunter » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:31 pm

I know some breed blow coat at some point during the year. What i was wondering is do all breeds do this or is it just a few select breeds.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: blowing coat

Post by Sharon » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:48 pm

I hear this expression off and on and really have no idea what it means.

All dog shed with the changes in light - Spring and Fall. Depending on their coat type this can involve a lot of hair or not much.

Quite possibly there is more to this than I am aware.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:50 pm

All dogs and humans lose hair everyday. On top of that the dogs have to lose their winter coats in the spring and then grow it back in the fall. So they all shed constantly but have a heavier period in the spring or early summer.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:41 pm

Double coated breeds will "Blow Coat" 2-4 times a year usually. It's more than just the normal shedding. It is basically a total replacement of the undercoat. Think Furminator commercial 2-4 times a year. This year my Shiba's blew coat more than normal. No wonder we went with a vizsla this time. :D

Carla