Best surface for dog kennel other than concrete

dug1976

Best surface for dog kennel other than concrete

Post by dug1976 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:52 am

Wanting to put something down in my keenel other than shavings.They just kick them out.They stay out in the kennel while I'm at work and come inside when I'm hiome. I would put down concrete but don't plan on being here more than 6 month's. Thought about treated 2x4's, concrete landscaping stones, or pea gravel. Or any other suggestions. Tired of dogs coming in the house muddy.

EddieF

Re: Best surface for dog kennel other than concrete

Post by EddieF » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:39 am

I don't know much about this topic, but when I was a kid my dad had a Brittany (they called them spaniels still back then). He made a kennel that had large round (smooth) gravel and I think there was lime or something underneath. So he would hose the poop down right through the gravel and it made for easy cleanup.

But if you're moving, that would probably be almost as difficult to un-do as concrete.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:55 am

Pavers or I once made a temperary run with them thin concrete blocks they are about 8X16 but only 3 inches thick,not really sure of the size.

Ditch__Parrot

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:07 pm

Kenneldeck looks pretty nifty, and you could take it with you. Never tried it though my dog is a spoiled rotten house dog.

http://www.lcsupply.com/Product/Kennel- ... -Deck.html

BigBoyTank

Post by BigBoyTank » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:17 pm

I seem to remember hearing that PT isn't really a good idea because of the chemicals used to treat the wood. I could however be "misremembering" this. You might want to look into it.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:58 pm

My local farm store (Farm & Fleet) sells agriculture rubber farm mats for horse stalls, horsetrailers, etc. They're thick, fairly large and obviously easy to wash and sanitize. I haven't used them for dogs, just horses. Denise

KY Grouse Hunter

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:19 pm

my kennels are floored with rough cut lumber, when I go on a hunting trip I have my little brither throw another coat of stain on it just to make it look good. It's not expensive, and fairly easy to clean. I'm sure alot of people are going to say that that is not a good idea but I just thought I would plug that I have had no trouble with it and you can't beat the cost.
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

KY Grouse Hunter

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:21 pm

my kennels are floored with rough cut lumber, when I go on a hunting trip I have my little brither throw another coat of stain on it just to make it look good. It's not expensive, fairly easy to clean, and not hard on their joints like some say about concrete. I 've looked at the kenneldeck stuff and it was awfully exspensive for what it was. I'm sure alot of people are going to say that wood is not a good idea but I just thought I would plug that I have had no trouble with it and you can't beat the cost.

Here is one...
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

briarpatch

Post by briarpatch » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:12 pm

Denise has the right idea horse mats, I bought some as my pups are outside most of the day and come in at night and the concrete was making calises on their elbows and I bought the a horse stall mat for each kennel to try to stop this and it did help , they clean up easily and are soft but yet hard enough the dogs don't chew them or tear them up..I do want to try to find a different color though to add to my kennel later as the only color they had was black and I live in area that is thick with greenhead flys and the greenheads are drawn to the color black.. But they work very well other than the color of the ones I found for this area...

Briarpatch

kumate

Post by kumate » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:36 am

Grouse hunter i like your wood floor. I have a local sawmill that sells rough cut lumber. Could you tell me what you used for the frame , floor and supports ?
I have to build something as my pup stays in the crate for 7-8 hrs at night, then out for a bit in the morning and in the crate for another 7Plus hrs. In the evening i can wear him down and he is out for around 3-4 hrs, but after being in the kennel all night, he only gets out for a bit feed, empty little play then back in the crate, if i had a outside kennel he could be outside during the day and it would be better. I have a 10x10 chain link kennel with a shaded roof, but need a good base. I have tried limerock and it works but they get dusted to death, i would like the stallmats as i use them in my garage for weight equipt, tractor supply has them 4x6 for 40.00. But i dont think i could prep the ground level enough for my liking.

Thanks in advance

eastwash

Post by eastwash » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:31 am

I built a deck out of 2x8 looks similar to grouse hunters, stained it works great. Keeps the pup out of the mud, concrete was my first choice but cost more than twice as much. Have a 10x10 on top of it you can see its corner in my avatar.
Clarksetters on this forum uses 1x6 and his is movable.
Two Faced Jake

KY Grouse Hunter

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:09 pm

kumate wrote:Grouse hunter i like your wood floor. I have a local sawmill that sells rough cut lumber. Could you tell me what you used for the frame , floor and supports ?
I have to build something as my pup stays in the crate for 7-8 hrs at night, then out for a bit in the morning and in the crate for another 7Plus hrs. In the evening i can wear him down and he is out for around 3-4 hrs, but after being in the kennel all night, he only gets out for a bit feed, empty little play then back in the crate, if i had a outside kennel he could be outside during the day and it would be better. I have a 10x10 chain link kennel with a shaded roof, but need a good base. I have tried limerock and it works but they get dusted to death, i would like the stallmats as i use them in my garage for weight equipt, tractor supply has them 4x6 for 40.00. But i dont think i could prep the ground level enough for my liking.

Thanks in advance
My deck is made of rough cut oak. I built a box frame with boards going long ways in the box as cross beams. The entire frame has 2 boards doubled up to make it sturdy. THen I just layed more boards down for the decking. If you go with this recipe, make sure you put it together as soon as you get the wood because the longer the wood sets after it has been cut, the harder the wood it to drive a nail in and you'll have to do like me and get out the drill. Also, the box frame is held together with big bolts, I think you can see them in the picture. I like it because it's not permanent, mobile, and when you want rid of it, take out the bolts and have yourself an awesome weeny roast.
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

rich

Post by rich » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:09 pm

I HAVE BEEN USING STEEL SIDING TYPICALLY USED ON POLE BARNS ETC. IF YOU CAN FIND THE PAINTED 26 GUAGE IT WILL LAST ABOUT 8 YEARS DEPENDING ON THE DOG , IF YOU WASH IT DOWN DAILY AND IF IT DRAINS WELL SLOPE IT AT ABOUT 2" TO 10 FEET. I HAVE BEEN BUYING THE 6'X12' CHAIN LINK KENNELS FROM MENARDS.
RICH

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:44 pm

Sadie__Marie wrote:Kenneldeck looks pretty nifty, and you could take it with you. Never tried it though my dog is a spoiled rotten house dog.

http://www.lcsupply.com/Product/Kennel- ... -Deck.html
this is what i used, worked out pretty well. i added a second onto the side fairly easy for another dog, will probably post pics of that later. i got mine from gundog supply, the 2x2 sections.

windswept

Post by windswept » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:25 pm

My situation is very similar to the original question. I don't mean for this to be a hijack since it's the same topic. I have cement runs so my dogs aren't muddy when they come in the house. They do however smell a little because they step in their urine before it has a chance to run off or dry completely. My runs are pitched correctly and I am considering putting the Kennel Deck product down on top of the cement to keep the dogs off the waste durring the day. Do any of you think this is likely to work? It's kind of expensive but I will do it if I know it works. Any experience?
Thanks much.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:34 pm

here is what I used and I like it pretty good http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/pr ... A2215.html
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

petrey10

Post by petrey10 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:39 pm

will regular 2x8's not work or does it have to be rough cut? can you get rough cut at Menards or Home Depot? Do your dogs stay warm enough in those dog houses? I live in Central IL and it won't be uncommon for the dogs to be outside during the day while I am at work and it get only 15 degrees. Right now I have a10x12 house with 7x5 run and a Dog Igloo inside the house. I currently have only one dog but will be moving soon and hopefully adding one more to the mix. WHere do you gyuys place the kennels to protect from snow? What do you do to keep the water from freezing?

eastwash

Post by eastwash » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:44 pm

I used regular 2x8 as i have access to cheap lumber through work, anchored the kennel to the deck with metal strapping and screws and stained it. So far it is working well.
Two Faced Jake