Stay of Execution...

Equismith

Stay of Execution...

Post by Equismith » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:01 pm

I rescued this guy from certain doom today. They thought he was a springer Spaniel. He's a great little Brit...

He was to be destroyed on Tuesday.

vikings269

Re: Stay of Execution...

Post by vikings269 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:05 pm

good job! tell us more. how old is he? does he have issues? why would they want to execute the poor thing?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:08 pm

Nice save

Now How can they confuse that with a springer
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Equismith

Post by Equismith » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:27 pm

I'm guessing he's about 4 years old. Right now he's about 35lbs. Maybe 40 at the most. He's ribby and his hip bones are visible. His teeth are in great shape, but he needs a cleaning on the back ones. He paws constantly at his crate floor near the crate door. He howls when I'm not visible to him. That's gonna be tough to get used to while we both adjust.

The shelter he came from does not keep dogs long. Nor cats. They have very limited space and must euthanize animals after a very short stay. Maybe 3-4 days is the average. He came in on Thursday. I called about him on Friday and asked when he was scheduled to be put down. The shelter worker said she could put it off until Tuesday but that would be pushing it.

My sister volunteers to help the shelter place aminals. Shegot an email on Thursday and sent it to me. BOY IS MY WIFE MAD AT MY SISTER!!!! :lol:

The adoption fee was $50.

My wife went with me. She left the shelter crying after about 3 minutes inside. She couldn't stand to see all the cats and dogs that will likely be dead in 5 days. It is a sad tale.

vikings269

Post by vikings269 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:44 pm

It is a sad tale.
very sad indeed, the issues dont sound bad at all considering what he probably went through, i bet some good running will bring him right around.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:47 pm

Gees don't they contact the recue groups for the ones that look like purebred or like a breed

give the dogs a chance to get fosters

:cry:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:36 pm

Kudos to you for rescuing him, and your sister for volunteering. He looks very nice.

I am with your wife, in tearing up at a shelter. When my husband and I went to pick out a dog years ago, it tore me up to see all the dogs we couldn't bring home. I'm so glad you've given him a safe spot to land. Denise

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:53 pm

Equismith wrote:I'm guessing he's about 4 years old. Right now he's about 35lbs. Maybe 40 at the most. He's ribby and his hip bones are visible. His teeth are in great shape, but he needs a cleaning on the back ones. He paws constantly at his crate floor near the crate door. He howls when I'm not visible to him. That's gonna be tough to get used to while we both adjust.
Awesome! Good for you, that's great. What's his name??

Hey I had a GSP with major separation anxiety issues. Don't rule out medication like Clomicalm. It helped her sort of break the cycle of stressing out in the kennel and trying to escape. We were, for several times over the course of her life, able to put her on Clomicalm for several weeks, then phase it out, then she'd be okay for many months. I'm not saying chemicals are a substitute for training, but if the dog has anxiety issues, just consider looking into something that might calm him down while he's getting comfortable.

Again, I commend you for saving this great dog.

KY Grouse Hunter

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:54 pm

Good for you. I like his mostly white face.
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:06 pm

What a cutie...Good for you :!:
brenda

Equismith

Post by Equismith » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:47 pm

They had named him Sunbeam.

I am calling him Beacon.

bobman

Post by bobman » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:29 am

Might sound a little funny but I do atleast 2 of these every year and I find just spending a hour or even a 1/2 hour per day with the dog without my other dogs out there just petting them and loving on them makes them come around pretty quick and helps build their confidence. Usauly takes about three weeks for them to calm down and get like a normal dog.

I'm lucky my ofice is in my house so I can do this when I take a break. I had a shorthair that was doing what this dog is when in the crate and I ended up moving the crate into my bedroom to shut him up, it was worth the sleep.

Hes fine now.
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:51 pm

Nice job! He looks like a fine fellow. I bet with a little time he will adjust. I am anxious to hear how he does on birds. Please keep us informed.

Beacon... nice. You are his beacon of hope.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:45 pm

That is a good looking dog! How in @#$$ do some of these dogs in up in the pound? My ex got a really nice pointer out of the pound where she live this year, day before it died! Over on another site it a really really nice Shorthair that was pulled out by a rescue group. Last year there was one in the upper midwest, beautiful shorthair. How does this happen?????
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:15 pm

Yes it's amazing the amount of dogs being turned into shelters! Our rescue is seeing quite a jump in numbers being turned in by owners. It looks like it is somewhat due to the economy.

The shelters in my area are pretty good about working with breed rescues.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

Equismith

Post by Equismith » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:46 pm

Hey all, just so you know, I'm keeping Beacon. I'm sorry if I gave the impression he was available for adoption.

I plan on helping the guy for good. :)

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:14 pm

In other words beacon has found a wonderful rescue forever home

Did he worm his way into your hearts that quick :wink: :mrgreen:

kumate

Post by kumate » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:48 am

Good Job, Hope he turns in to a great dog for ya

Jerry

Equismith

Post by Equismith » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:51 am

kninebirddog wrote:In other words beacon has found a wonderful rescue forever home

Did he worm his way into your hearts that quick :wink: :mrgreen:
Yep. No denying it. :oops:

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:44 pm

Equismith, any updates for us? How is it going?

Vanguard

Post by Vanguard » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:26 pm

True I think some of it has to do with the economy, but alot of times accidents happen and a dog gets out by mistake.

Congrats on your new addition, lots of socialization will bring him round very quickly. I have a friend on here that rescued a Vizsla and after alot of work and time he's actually hunting with Clifford now and he's put a Junior Hunter on him. Give your new bud time and I'm sure you'll be amazed at what this guy can do.
Matt Rogers

Vanguard Vizslas
www.vanguardvizslas.com

Rob

Post by Rob » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:49 pm

Matt,

Was your friend that rescued the V named Emily Elizabeth? :D

I like your webpage and the pics of your dogs. Where are you located in Canal? I grew up in Lithopolis - small world. Are you from the area originally?

Rob

Equismith

Post by Equismith » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:00 pm

gar-dog wrote:Equismith, any updates for us? How is it going?
No boos and hisses please....

I took him to the vet this morning for a gelding.....he's recovering in his crate right now.

I've been feeding him morn and eve but he's dropped about 3 pounds. I gotta give him more. He and Libby play all day in the outside kennel. They're romping and playing tug-o-war with the fire hydrant kong.

I neutered him to keep an accidental litter from happening. There's enough bootleg Brittany breeders around here. The NC Ag review has litters in there all the time.

Beacon's quite the trooper.... Playful and loves cats. He'll point one steady for a long while if I let him. The house cats ain't figured him out just yet.

I think I'm going to bump him up to double what I've been feeding him and see how it works with his weight and his playfulness. He looks the same, but the scales at the vet showed he's lost 3 lbs, unless they're not very accurate.

Right now I just need to keep him quiet for a day or so while he heals up.

I had his teeth cleaned as well, but they said they really didn't need it that much. His teeth are very healthy.

He's been doing alot better in his crate at night. Never did dope him up to calm him. He just needs some more bonding time :wink:

jetto

Post by jetto » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:20 pm

I just found this thread today....Great job Equismith! Kudos to you for giving him a second chance in life! Kristi

Equismith

Post by Equismith » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:39 pm

jetto wrote:I just found this thread today....Great job Equismith! Kudos to you for giving him a second chance in life! Kristi
Thank you.

I'm sure if he were close by to any of you all and y'all knew he was there, you'd all have done the same thing.

It was hard leaving all the others behind. My wife cried for quite a while over the cats and kittens left in the shelter.

We all just need to do a tiny part and maybe we can put a small dent in all the dogs in shelters everywhere.

I appreciate all the comments folks.

Bud

Equismith

Post by Equismith » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:44 pm

Just so you guys know how I got Beacon, this is the photo my sister sent me out of the blue before I went to the pound to get him.

I was kinda hooked from the start....

He's much happier now. So am I.

dawgmama

Post by dawgmama » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:44 am

Beacon is lucky to have you! Getting him some exercise should be a big help in lowering his anxiety when he can't see you. Give it time.

Two weeks ago I adopted a 10 mo. old English Setter from the Milwaukee Humane Society. She was surrendered because the guy didn't have time for her. She was crated a lot, and was 10 pounds overweight. She is a great dog! She got along with my other dogs right away, and has good house mannners. She learns very quickly, and a friend stopped by with some freshly shot quail and she was crazy for them. She doesn't seem noise shy so... we have high hopes for her. I can't understand why her owner wouldn't try to sell her, or turn her into a rescue, instead of just dumping her at the shelter! We live in a disposable society I guess. :roll:
"Dead Bird!! Fetch it up!!"
2 English Setters and a 'beasty boy' Wirehair pup in our family of hunters.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:57 pm

My shelter is a disaster in my opinion.

I had a dog stolen once.
I sent the shelter a pic. in case someone got fed up with dog , turned him loose, and tmaybe he shel ter would see him.
10 days later I got the picture back in the mail saying, "We have closed the file." How hard is it to post a pic. on the wal for a while?

I rescued 2 dogs both of which had to be put down.They should never have been adopted out.
(See post above about the dog dying the day after it was adopted.)

Some folks obviously get lucky, but
don't talk to me about shelters. :x
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett