dog names

dustinweim

dog names

Post by dustinweim » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:15 pm

I am looking for some unique dog names for my weim.

EddieF

Re: dog names

Post by EddieF » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:26 am

Boy or girl?

I always struggle with dog names. I also always have girl dogs and seem to find a ton of boy dog names I like while I'm searching for a girl name. So to me it seems like boys are easier to name.

I named my Wirehaired Vizsla 'Winnie,' short for Winchester. But that was a long and difficult process to come up with that. We actually bought two different baby name books.

I go through the baby name books page by page and jot down any names that catch my attention at all. Have your spouse, if applicable, do the same. Your list could have 20 names on it, could have 50. We took turns eliminating names one at a time until we got about 10 on the short list, and I had that list in my pocket for several weeks. Read it, eliminate a name, add one, whatever. Finally settled on Winnie. I wish I could remember the other names on the short list.

Anyway, not sure that helps, that's how we did it. There are a lot of unique names in a baby name book.

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:00 pm

For the formal registered AKC name have you asked the breeder if there is a litter theme?
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:16 pm

What kind of lines are on the pup?

dustinweim

Post by dustinweim » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:35 pm

it will be a male the breeder has not decided if he is going to go with a theme i am geting him from kevin jahr

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:06 pm

dustinweim wrote:it will be a male the breeder has not decided if he is going to go with a theme i am geting him from kevin jahr
That should be a nice pup.

Where are you located?
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

dustinweim

Post by dustinweim » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:10 pm

i live in minnesota just north west of the cities

ballgamedrink

Post by ballgamedrink » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:01 pm

Boone - I dont know why but I like it. Thinking of naming my next male dog BOOONE!!! Get your ($&%_# over her BOONE!!!
Bleu - I have a GSP named bleu "Your my boy Bleu"
Cutter
Drifter
Dutch

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:03 pm

What about Ringer? You could call him (insert kennel name here if you want)'s ten ringer.

k2k

Post by k2k » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:44 pm

I read thru the dictionary (English/German) of the language of the country the dog is from. One of those paperbacks English to German and German to English. Did the same w/ the Akita (japanese to english and vice versa).

Takes a while sometimes to come up with a good one, and I doubt my pronunciation is accurate :lol: but I really like doing it that way.

Kaitakusha means bushwacker in Japanese (call name Kaita), which has an actual story to go with the name. Kes is German for saucy (altho it turned out it meant saucy as in food, which I didn't find out til it was too late.) Oh well. So she is also known as the Kesarole....

Karen

Rob

Post by Rob » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:29 pm

I am struggling with the same question. We have a vizsla pup coming home at Christmas. Fortunately/unfortunately I have two very opinionated children involved in the process too (4yo and 2 1/2yo). Some of the stuff they come up with is hilarious, and some of it is actually pretty good. We have made a fun game of brainstorming ideas at the dinner table every once in awhile - always leads to some good laughs.

I think we have pretty much settled on Hank - our last name is Williams, and I think it is a pretty good name for a dog. But we are waiting to get a better feel for his personality before we commit. And I am still struggling with how to incorporate it in his registered name.

Good luck with yours. If you would like, I can ask the kids what they think :D . They always have plenty of suggestions :D .

Rob

Post by Rob » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:43 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot what I really wanted to post. The way we play the brainstorming game has led to a bunch of ideas. We each take a turn saying something we REALLY like, and then we all talk about names based on that theme. It really does lead to some interesting and good ideas. e.g:

GUNS:
Gretta Beretta - for a girl, from my 4yo
Leroy Brown(ing)
Chester Winchester

BUCKEYE FOOTBALL:
Archie
Eddie
Brutus
Woody

CARTOONS (thanks kids):
Pete (r Pan)
Diego
Thundercat - OK nobody really came up with that one, but it was still a cool cartoon :D

COUNTRY MUSIC:
Willie
Cash
Hank
Jonesy

Etc., etc. You get the idea. But when you kick around ideas out loud it always sparks some interesting conversation and some new thoughts. Good luck.

tenbearsviz

Post by tenbearsviz » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:52 am

What ever you decide, before commiting to it... try this... Open your front door and yell at the top of your lungs, the dogs potential name... If the name is like... um... Cinnamon Bun... it just might not make it. Too hard to yell.

Try it.

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:38 am

tenbearsviz wrote:What ever you decide, before commiting to it... try this... Open your front door and yell at the top of your lungs, the dogs potential name... If the name is like... um... Cinnamon Bun... it just might not make it. Too hard to yell.

Try it.

HAHAH....My GSP's name is Pokey. People think I am weird when I yell for him. :roll:

LEGLIFTER

Post by LEGLIFTER » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:55 am

We named our first male Black Lab Kash ' cause I'm an accountant and realized that "Cash is king". I'm also fond of Jonny Cash and Kash is the dog in black so that seeled it. The wife just couldn't be happy with that so she changed the "C" to a "K". Not worth fighting over. Last of all we named him "Prado Prefers Kash" after the Kennel he came from. They really liked that :mrgreen:

We will be getting a new femal black lab and are on the name search again. Its always fun :roll:

Good Luck I like Punkin for a girl.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:57 am

Take a tip from John Wayne. Just name it, DOG! :D
big steve

LEGLIFTER

Post by LEGLIFTER » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:31 pm

big steve46 wrote:Take a tip from John Wayne. Just name it, DOG! :D
Or a hint from Jonny Cash. It could be a boy named Sue.

"How do you do. My name is sue"

I knew you'd have to get tough or die
And it's the name that helped to make you strong."

Rob

Post by Rob » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:00 pm

Or you could just name your girl "Darlin'"...David Allen Coe :D . By the way, the bitch in our breeding is nicknamed Pumkin.

This is the kind of fun that we have been having at my house. I don't want to hijack this thread, but anyone have a suggestion for incorporating "Hank" into our kennel name? Pedigree attached. Maybe I should start my own thread???

http://lindensvizslas.com/Kye-Pumkin.html

dustinweim

Post by dustinweim » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:16 pm

i like the name Teak/Teek or Ghost they are known for being the 'gray ghost', what do you guys think of those names?

Rob

Post by Rob » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:29 pm

I like both. Although I could see Ghost being harder to call. I had 2 weims growing up, named Rebel and Smoke. Would teak be like the wood? Like when it weathers, it turns a gray color?

I like names that have some sort of meaning, importance to me, whatever. My uncle had a yellow lab and a black lab when I was younger called Crockett and Tubbs. I always liked those names. I am having fun with the process. It is sorta like naming your kids, but you can be as ridiculous as you want and the other dogs in the 4th grade aren't going to make fun of him.

dustinweim

Post by dustinweim » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:32 pm

i just like the name teak like the wood, i don't know if it turns gray when weathered

Rob

Post by Rob » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:49 pm

Teak does turn gray as it weathers, if not oiled.

Just some more ideas off the top of my head - for what it is worth. Maybe will spark something. Other things that are gray:

Clouds/Rain/Storms - Stormy, Thunder, Zeus, Jupiter
Steel/Platinum/Silver/Metal - Steely, Gauge, ??
Seals/Whales/Sharks/Elephants - Hammer Head (usually appropriate for a weim), Dumbo, ??
Smoke/Ash

I don't know. But I like the brainstorming with my kids. Maybe it will work for you too.

dustinweim

Post by dustinweim » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:05 pm

Jinx, Jax, Ace, Bolt these are names we like. thank you for your suggestions i have some time to pick out names still i don't get the puppy till January i.m sure kids come up with the best names but i don't have kids yet :D

hustonmc

Post by hustonmc » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:12 pm

I think you hit the nail on the head with Teak, especially if it turns gray when weathered, just like your dog. My Weims name is Colt, because I remembered the first pistol I saw was a "silver" Colt .45 pistol. So I thought it'd work. I also had a lab growing up, her name was Onyx. A black precious stone. She was tough and precious, worked perfect. Teak is also 1 syllable , which makes it easier for direct commands. I like it, Teak is my vote.

dustinweim

Post by dustinweim » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:50 pm

i think teak is the best choice i still have a month to pick the name

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:11 pm

You could name it Diogi. :)
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:10 am

If you have a family I'm sure they will "help". My wife for having little involvement in the dogs everyday life sure was into the naming of my pup. Her and the boys settled on "Gunnar", not my first choice, but if it makes them happy i'm in.

gwgdog66

Post by gwgdog66 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:27 pm

I like using names from western movies. Will Munny. Katie Elder. My next male will be Boss Spearman. I wouldn't name one Rooster Cogburn though. I could just see that one, having him out in the field and holler "Rooster" and see a bunch of guns shoulder shyward :lol:

mallard

Post by mallard » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:35 am

Whatever you name the dog, try out how it will sound when you are calling the dog across a field or cover. We also discovered this year that we have too many dogs between us that end in an "e" sound. It is hard to brace these dogs when the names sound the same.

cesarike

Post by cesarike » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:42 am

Stick with your own theme - http://www.gundogforum.com/forum/postin ... 69&t=15680#
8)

You named the 1st dog after a gun manufacturer,

You could name the next one "Bennelli" - it works on both sexes: Ben - for a boy or Nelli if a girl,

Remington - Remi

Beretta - after the cop

Ruger -

Smith & Weeson - either one