Collar question - safety 'O' ring

EddieF

Collar question - safety 'O' ring

Post by EddieF » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:08 am

I don't understand the hunting dog collars with the safety 'O' ring. I'm not stupid, but for the life of me I can not picture what is being talked about when I read something like this:
This popular harness leather dog collar has the leash ring in the center of the collar. If the dog gets caught on a branch or fencing, the o-ring is designed to turn inside out and release your dog. It is a favorite among field and retrieving dog enthusiasts.
Can someone explain this to me? I know there has to be a simple explanation but I can't see it. Thanks.

cocdawg

Re: Collar question - safety 'O' ring

Post by cocdawg » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:22 am

Don't mean to high jack your post but whoever answers this question please give your opinion on which is better - o ring or d ring.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:21 pm

I could be wrong but the "safety" collars have very little exposed harware besides the O ring. I think they come with what is called a Conway buckle. My understanding is that the O ring, which typically rides on top of the dog's neck, will slide forward as the dog attempts to back out if it is cuught at the front of the O ring. If it is caught at the back of the O ring, the ring will flip, allowing the dog to continue backing out.

I have collars with O rings, but for a totally different reason. The O ring rides on top, as I said above, making it quick and easy to hook a dog up to a lead, leash, stakeout or whatever.

The collars I use actually have both D and O rings. The D ring gives me a place to permanently attach dog licenses and rabies tags and temporarily attach a bell. They do not have Conway type buckles, but rather the conventional type roller buckle.

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:42 pm

Myself, like Ray, have the O Ring collars for ease of leashing up. It is nice to just clip the leash or check cord while the o ring is riding on the top of the neck.

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:50 pm

GSPVIZ wrote:Myself, like Ray, have the O Ring collars for ease of leashing up. It is nice to just clip the leash or check cord while the o ring is riding on the top of the neck.
Oh I agree it makes for easier hookup. I just (still) can't see the safety feature of it. I can't imagine what's different about it with or without the O ring when it comes to backing out of it. But maybe I'll never understand it without someone showing me with an actual collar.

GSPVIZ, with the O ring on yours, do you still have room for a brass plate? Or do you just use regular tags with the O ring collar?

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:09 pm

Hey Eddie,

I have this collar..

But I am thinking about getting one like this.....

The reason is because the first one seems to fade pretty easy and hold scent (maybe that is why they are only $5).

But the brass name plate fits on just fine (even with the 14" collar for Margo's little neck).

Matt

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:26 pm

Thanks Matt.

And in this case, by "scent" are you sure you don't mean "odor?" :wink:

gotblika

Post by gotblika » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:27 pm

This is a 14" collar with a name plate. http://www.gundogsupply.com/k-9-komfort ... ollar.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gotblika

Post by gotblika » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:35 pm

Also when there's a "D ring" on the collar I think it's not considered a safety collar anymore. With the D if something goes thru it (a stick) if the dog tries to back straight out it will get pinched, and the dog may not be able to free its self. Try sticking your finger in the d ring and pull it out towards the dogs nose.

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:39 pm

gotblika wrote:Also when there's a "D ring" on the collar I think it's not considered a safety collar anymore. With the D if something goes thru it (a stick) if the dog tries to back straight out it will get pinched, and the dog may not be able to free its self. Try sticking your finger in the d ring and pull it out towards the dogs nose.
Gotcha. I wouldn't think the D ring would be necessary in that case, I mean all the info is on the brass plate. And I do like the ease of hooking a leash to it, the O ring will naturally rise to the top from the weight of the buckle at the bottom. Then when you have a check cord or something attached, it will go to the bottom.

I wish there was a nice big store with a bunch of options, like a Bass Pro for dogs. Maybe Gander Mountain has a bunch of options I can see in one place.

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:41 pm

Yea I meant odor.

fuess

Post by fuess » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:54 pm

I have the second collar pictured. Made of rubber. Order them from LCS. The "o" ring turns the collar over much easier, if the dog were to get stuck. Order one, they are cheap and you will see what we mean.

The "d" ring is a pain. Originally I think meant for a leash. Hook vet stuff to it and I find the s hook gives way, or they are too small and will not bend around it, but that is just me.

LCS will imprint on the brass plate important info, and rivet it for you. I order 2 just to be safe. I think they are about 7-8 bucks.

Fuess

R-Heaton

Post by R-Heaton » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:02 pm

There has been a recent thread on this forum on supporting our sponsors. Mainly because we should support those that support us,, "us" meaning the people who enjoy this forum. My point being,,, LCS (Lion Country Supply) has a great selection of collars,,, the Day-Glo collar the one you are inquiring about is $4.00 right now and I got an email the other day saying for the month of November they will give you a free name plate $1.50 value. If you have never ordered from them,,, they are great people, really nice and helpful. You might even mention your a GunDog Forum guy and this how you heard of them. As far as the O-ring vs the D ring,,,, the O-ring is the most popular and chosen by the professionals for whatever reason,,,, and seeing how it is all about "fitting in" better go with the O-ring.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:44 pm

I have tried those center ring collars and don't care for them. Not any reason in particular but with that on a collar it's two more places for the collar to weaken and come apart. I think that's more likely to happen than the stick idea that the collar will roll. One think that used to irk me about them as I recall, if someone else put a leash on you dog, they didn't pay attention to which side of the ring they put it on. Drove me nuts to look down and see the snap on the front of the ring. My ex was the worst offender!
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

R-Heaton

Post by R-Heaton » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:03 pm

Don wrote:Drove me nuts to look down and see the snap on the front of the ring
Your probably particular if the toilet paper roll is clockwise or counter clock wise? :D
But just for the sake of humor what difference does that make? I see your from Oregon,,, how have the chukars been treating you this year?

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:17 pm

R-Heaton wrote:
Don wrote:Drove me nuts to look down and see the snap on the front of the ring
Your probably particular if the toilet paper roll is clockwise or counter clock wise? :D
But just for the sake of humor what difference does that make? I see your from Oregon,,, how have the chukars been treating you this year?
I imagine if it's hooked on the front of the ring, then any tension on the leash would result in it bending back, so the back edge of the collar is the only part making contact with the dog, rather than lying flat on the dog when the collar is being pulled by the back of the ring. If that makes sense. For some reason I can picture what's wrong with clipping to the front of the ring, but I still don't get the stick thing. :roll:

Meller

Post by Meller » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:34 pm

The o-ring collar will let the dog roll the collar off if the collar gets caught on anything, like a fence a log or in a brush pile, that is the one's without the D-ring allso, so the safty collar is the one with the o-ring and no D-ring.

R-Heaton

Post by R-Heaton » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:47 am

I wonder what happens when a dog is on a stake out? Where he can push, pull, tug, jump in all directions,,, ????
The little bit I have read,,, are you sure you didn't misread the adds,,, like safety orange O-ring? Meaning the color,,, and not the O-ring?

Meller

Post by Meller » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:42 am

In the early sixty's I had a coon dog get caught by his D-ring in a crack in a hollow log; if I had not have found him a day and a half latter he surely would have died; latter on some friend that had running dogs told me about the safty collar and told me how they would roll off the dog and all of them had these collars in leather. Since then that is all I've had and belive in them, but to each there own.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:41 am

All the game birds are down this year, worse than last year and it was the worst in a long time. Gonna be a long hall back out of this I think.

OK. Toilet paper does not go clockwise and counter clockwise, it goes over and under. Properly hung toilet paper goes over although going under makes it easier to re-wind when you get to much out!

My fetish with hooking to the front or back of that "O" ring is just that, a fetish. But it was one that just drove me nuts. I believe there's a reason for everything and there has to be some reason other than the safety thing with a stick. I've never see a dog get a stick between it's neck and the collar. Why does any collar get fitted snuggly around the neck? There are reason's and it drives me nuts to see a loose collar too. One that really gets me is the choke chain put on backwards.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:52 am

I don't use the O ring collars because it causes the buckle to end up in the dogs throat when check cording.

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:02 pm

highcotton wrote:I don't use the O ring collars because it causes the buckle to end up in the dogs throat when check cording.
Good point.

I don't think snagging is going to be an issue for us anyway. Unless she gets snagged on the couch or something. :?

jbr03

Post by jbr03 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:24 am

Glad someone asked this question! Ive always wondered about those collars myself since im always down for a new gadget to keep my dog safe. I live in the city about 20 miles away from where i hunt/train so i always worry about my dog somehow getting out. Ive seen her littermate hop a 6 ft fence one time, so things can happen. In my county we have to have the rabies tag AND the county registration tag on the dog no matter what so im out of luck with these. I could always swap them out for hunting but she always has the ecollar on anyway. enjoyed reading this thread!
Brian

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:18 am

jbr03 wrote:Glad someone asked this question! Ive always wondered about those collars myself since im always down for a new gadget to keep my dog safe. I live in the city about 20 miles away from where i hunt/train so i always worry about my dog somehow getting out. Ive seen her littermate hop a 6 ft fence one time, so things can happen. In my county we have to have the rabies tag AND the county registration tag on the dog no matter what so im out of luck with these. I could always swap them out for hunting but she always has the ecollar on anyway. enjoyed reading this thread!
I wondered if anyone was going to mention the rabies tag. Part of the appeal of the brass plate on the hunting collars is to not have jingling tags.

jbr03

Post by jbr03 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:49 pm

eddie,
i still have the brass name plate with her name and my phone number but if my dog were to get loose, Id like to have all the info shes supposed to have on her. that way at least whoever finds her knows she wont have rabies and that shes a registered pet to someone. do you put all needed info on that brass plate? i dont think id be able to put everything on it. I take her normal everyday collar off when she hunts anyway. but i will say, when she does get loose i like the fact her tags jingle cause there have been numerous occasions where that noise has helped me find her. i wouldnt mind getting one of those bells.
Brian

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:24 pm

IMO a riveted on name plate is a necessity. I use to hang ID tags, but have had S hooks open up even the slightest bit and let a tag fall off. And split rings can get caught on things too and get stretched and opened up. I have an o-ring only collar, and my rabies and vaccination vet receipt records are carried in my hunting gear bag.

I've used a checkcord with an o-ring collar and don't think I've ever had an issue. In my experience, the weight of the checkcord dragging, brings the o-ring to the bottom just like any D-ring. Maybe my 20' log chain checkcord is too much? :lol: :lol: :lol: Denise