national dog show

rich

national dog show

Post by rich » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:36 pm

I see the English Pointer ( POINTER)won the sporting dog event and the overal event.This is a great acomplishment for the sporting dogs.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: national dog show

Post by Sharon » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:00 pm

That's great .Which dog show is this? I know the Westminster Kennel Club Show isn't until Feb.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:12 pm

I don't know which dog show this was, but a Show Pointer winning in the Show Ring can hardly be touted as an accomplishment for "Sporting" dogs. I know my bias is showing, but really, I can't think of another breed with as great a disconnect between show and field in this country as the Pointer. Not even in the Irish vs. Red Setter is there as great a difference.

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:37 am

But Scott these people produce the much touted "Dual Dogs" that the Britt people brag about so much. :wink: Yeah they are all JH dogs bug that seems to qualify as a Dual Dog for most. This pic from their site is probably shopped but it still cracks me up.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:05 am

Lets stay on subject and not turn this into a post that bashes something no one knows anything about or it will be locked.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:09 am

And the glass half full version is at least it is from the sporting class and not one of the foo-foo classes.

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:46 am

Greg Jennings wrote:And the glass half full version is at least it is from the sporting class and not one of the foo-foo classes.
Agree Greg, shoot I was happy to watch it live when the dog won honestly and like I said they do at least do HT with their dogs. Aint my own kinda dog but at least genetically it's my breed.

Ezzy who did any bashing?

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:54 am

Hopefully we dont start seeing an influz of showdog breeding with the EP's now completely disregarding hunting traits. It has caused a backslide of so many other breeds.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:19 am

What may have struck a chord is the comment
But Scott these people produce the much touted "Dual Dogs" that the Britt people brag about so much. Yeah they are all JH dogs bug that seems to qualify as a Dual Dog for most.
In truth it takes a field title and a show title or an obedience champion to become a dual champion which is pushed for with the brittany not hunt tests

Just saying that to clarify.... :wink:

but back now to the original post

i am always relieved with the brittany doesn't win westminster or any of the Big shows the win is great

but the fall out from that being the "IN" dog about 2 years later fills up rescues that is what happened with the GSP a frind of mine in GSP rescue said there was a definite peak about 18mth - 2years after wards of unwanted GSP's from people who didn't get the well mannered dog they saw in TV
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:45 am

Arlette ya know EXACTLY what I meant. Many places that tout Duals are in reality JH dogs, not FCs or AFCs, thats all breeds. I know what a DC is since a dog I sold three years ago to a show person here in Oklahoma called me last spring to let me know he had gotten his DC, would have earlier but she had to teach him to keep his tail down :lol: . I mentioned the Britts since that was, last I knew, Scotts breed. Chill y'all

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:17 am

I saw that show the other day, now I can't remember what show it was. Philly maybe.

I thought the GSP that won Westminster several years ago was flat out spectacular. I remember the judge had like the top three or so go around the ring one last time, and when that dog stopped he stacked perfectly, all by himself, and just DEMANDED that Best in Show.

Anyone know that dog, by chance? No idea if he's a hunter too, but he was special.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:22 am

The National Dog Show was held in Reading, PA on 11/23 this year but the show is sponsored by the Kennel Club of Philadelphia. Here's a link to the show details (entries, points, results) for anyone interested:

http://www.infodog.com/results/20080375 ... 502MAP.HTM

The GSP that won Westminster in 2005 is Ch Kan-Point's VJK Autumn Roses owned by L & R Stark & C Cronk & V Nunes-Atkinson. Have no idea if she hunts or not.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:41 am

She was a gorgeous animal. Took your breath away.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:52 am

So it appears National Dog Show is strictly a name that the Phil. Kennel Club uses to promote their show. That clears up some of the mystery.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:40 pm

Karen wrote:The GSP that won Westminster in 2005 is Ch Kan-Point's VJK Autumn Roses owned by L & R Stark & C Cronk & V Nunes-Atkinson. Have no idea if she hunts or not.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:54 pm

I have never met a GSP that wouldn't hunt though I am sure there are some. The show bred dogs that I have worked with have been good hunting dogs though slower and closer than most of the big running dogs we see in the trials but still good working dogs that point with intensity.
Seems like I read somewhere that she was hunted but I am not sure about that now.

Ezzy

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:38 pm

Duane M wrote:, would have earlier but she had to teach him to keep his tail down :lol: .

i was surprise at the show in cal..there were a good handful of handlers working on their dogs to keeping their tails at the not so up right position :lol:

one finished his Dc that weekend when he moved normally his tail was at 12 o'clock but right before the ring she would mess with him and he would hold it lower
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:25 pm

Yep thats what she had to do all the time, I watched her at the OKC show this year working with him and it was a sight to see. Do ya know how hard it is make a Honky Tonk X Hammer Down dog keep it's tail down? :lol:

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:36 pm

Duane M wrote:Yep thats what she had to do all the time, I watched her at the OKC show this year working with him and it was a sight to see. Do ya know how hard it is make a Honky Tonk X Hammer Down dog keep it's tail down? :lol:
I bet if you start to take his temperature he'll put that tail down in a hurry... :wink:

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:05 pm

Duane M wrote:Yep thats what she had to do all the time, I watched her at the OKC show this year working with him and it was a sight to see. Do ya know how hard it is make a Honky Tonk X Hammer Down dog keep it's tail down? :lol:
I will have to PM you my reply....Hint would be ....blue :lol:

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:01 pm

Hey Duane all's good on my end, don't know what gots those other folks knotted up.

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:25 am

I figured that Scott thats why I adressed it to ya.

Yep Arlette it was BLUE but perfect. :lol:

GSP 4 me

Post by GSP 4 me » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:13 am

EddieF,

Thanks for posting that pic of the GSP....boy, that dog really looks magnificient!

I wonder if the Beagle breed has seen a rise in ownership since Uno took the win earlier this year.

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:44 am

GSP 4 me wrote: I wonder if the Beagle breed has seen a rise in ownership since Uno took the win earlier this year.
I'd bet money on it.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:16 am

No, Karlee was not hunted. She lived on the road from show to show..
brenda

Maurice

Post by Maurice » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:11 am

romeo212000 wrote:Hopefully we dont start seeing an influz of showdog breeding with the EP's now completely disregarding hunting traits. It has caused a backslide of so many other breeds.
I would not worry about that happening. The breed is split and it will stay that way as long as people hunt and trial. The show pointers are not built for endurance, to big and don't move right.. I see many brits that can go both ways, also see a good split starting, especially with the true all age type brit. I do think the brit breed is in good hands.

Mo

Dave Quindt

Post by Dave Quindt » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:40 am

EddieF wrote:
GSP 4 me wrote: I wonder if the Beagle breed has seen a rise in ownership since Uno took the win earlier this year.
I'd bet money on it.
I'd bet the impact was minimal, if any at all. I know there was no real impact on the GSP when the breed won in 2005. Except for when the smaller, lesser-know breed win I'd bet the supposed "Westminster bounce" is more legend than reality.

JMO,
Dave

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:33 am

I'm sure I just read a post ( can't find it), that said there was a BIG problem with a lot of GSPs being turned into shelters etc.

This would fit with the 2005 win as the pups bought would be about 3 years old - the age most dogs are surrendered.

Just a thought.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:36 am

romeo212000 wrote:Hopefully we dont start seeing an influz of showdog breeding with the EP's now completely disregarding hunting traits. It has caused a backslide of so many other breeds.
That won't happen as long as the American Field / Stud Book is alive - and they have been for more then one hundred years.