Shots

Addict

Shots

Post by Addict » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:35 pm

I was wondering if the shots you can purchase yourself like through IFA (a country farm supply store) are the same quality as the vet gives. The price for a parvo/distemper is $51.85 versus $9 if you do it yourself. I only have one vet that has his priced around $16.50. I've never been to him so I don't know how to rate his service. I live close to an urban area so the vet prices reflect that.

I like my vet and like to support him but it's starting to get really expensive vaccinating three dogs.

I realize that vet prices vary with location and am not trying to bash them. I just want to know about the quality of the shots. Are the ones the vet administers better?

Addict

TAK

Post by TAK » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:47 pm

For years I used the IFA shots and had no problem. Then again I have been told that at times the shots have been mishandled and left out with no refrigerated......
Give Fay Walker a call she orders her shots. She gave me a run down of how they use them and at what times. They have had great success in raising the litters over the years
I still get mine from the same Vet that you went to with me. I think I pay around 7 or so dollars for the shots..... I give the shots myself. I think if they do it, it's around $20......

Birdhunter1

Post by Birdhunter1 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:09 pm

There is a local feed store that I have always got my parvo/distemper shots from for a few bucks per shot. I have never had a dog with parvo or distemper so I guess they have worked well.

JakeDD

Post by JakeDD » Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:29 am

This brings up a question - is there a list of recommended vaccinations by age that anyone has access to? I'm interested in seeing what is supposed to be given and when to do it.

Thanks,
JDD

Richard *UT*

Post by Richard *UT* » Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:14 am

This is the list from my humane society.
8 weeks Dist-Hep-Para-Parvo and something called 1st puppy Corona
12 weeks DHPP, Corona, and Bordetella
16 weeks DHPP, Rabies
From then on DHPP & Corona Boosters Annually
Rabies Booster after the first year and every three years after that. I hope that helps

larue

Post by larue » Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:48 am

with ten gsp's I solved the problem by buying the shots from my vet,and giveing them myself.the shots cost a little more than if I bought them from a vet supply,but my vet made some money.
for all my dogs,lymes,7 way,bordatella,the cost was under 400.
Much cheaper than haveing the same vet giveing the shots,yet I am assured of the quality of the vaccines.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:04 am

JakeDD

Post by JakeDD » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:53 am

Thanks Richard & Grant - I appreciate the info!