FT question

co1651

FT question

Post by co1651 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:26 am

can a spayed female compete in a field trial?

Duane M

Re: FT question

Post by Duane M » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:30 am

AF yes I cant speak for AKC.

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:31 am

I'm sure they can... but some of the more seasoned FT folks could answer that for sure!!

shorthairguy

Post by shorthairguy » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:32 am

Yep, they can in NSTRA.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:33 am

AF yes, NSTRA yes (I personally know of CH in each which are spayed)...not sure about the rest. I do not think it matters as long as it is a recognized registered pointing breed.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:38 am

It's only the Show Ring that won't allow "fixed" animals. All the field/performance events in every format that I am aware of (most of them) will allow fixed animals.

rhines

Post by rhines » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:43 am

Why would somone want to compete with a fixed dog? The whole point is to provide documented evidence that a dog/bitch is better than most - for the improvement of breeding programs. The only exception I could think of would be if you actually own the sire / dam of the fixed dog and wanted a record of their offspring's performance other than that you're throwing away your money. Take the dog hunting instead and let the dog enjoy a low-pressure life style.

Just my 2 cents.

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:05 am

They sure can compete in trials. Go out and have fun and learn the ropes.
I am sure you will have a blast and get some more time out with your dog.
Lots of great people to meet out there.
Good luck and let us know how you do.

Mav....
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare.
And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

Knine's Ghost Rider

Paisley

Ch Ruffwood's Dixie Girl FD

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:17 am

rhines wrote:Why would somone want to compete with a fixed dog? The whole point is to provide documented evidence that a dog/bitch is better than most - for the improvement of breeding programs. The only exception I could think of would be if you actually own the sire / dam of the fixed dog and wanted a record of their offspring's performance other than that you're throwing away your money. Take the dog hunting instead and let the dog enjoy a low-pressure life style.

Just my 2 cents.
Probably just for the enjoyment of the competition and camaraderie with others. It also gives you somthing to do with your dog almost all year long. Dogs do not feel pressured they enjoy the outings.A lot of the dogs are bred so infrequently they may as well be fixed.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:36 am

rhines wrote:Why would somone want to compete with a fixed dog? The whole point is to provide documented evidence that a dog/bitch is better than most - for the improvement of breeding programs. The only exception I could think of would be if you actually own the sire / dam of the fixed dog and wanted a record of their offspring's performance other than that you're throwing away your money. Take the dog hunting instead and let the dog enjoy a low-pressure life style.

Just my 2 cents.
Because it's fun! Good dogs, good people, good times.
The training required for competition is good for both dogs and owners, and makes for more responsible dog ownership IMO. I wish rescue dogs could compete as well.
Besides, not every dog that enters or even places in field trials should be bred. There are levels of quality in every venue.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:46 pm

Just my 2 cents.
Proving a bloodline is more than proving an individual animal. Competing with fixed animals shows the production of the sire/dam.