Starting to understand "the nose" of a bird dog

gar-dog

Starting to understand "the nose" of a bird dog

Post by gar-dog » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:00 pm

This may be a naive post, but many of you know I am training my first bird dog. I took my dog and my sons on a preserve hunt this morning. We started into the field and Ginger was going down a central, mowed path into the start of a field of some cover. She was going straight down the path and got about 20 yards, then stopped and made an instant right turn and went about thirty-forty yards right to a point and we flushed a chukar. I mean she made a 90 degree turn and went right to the bird. Later, we shot a pheasant in the hind end and it kept flying for a brushy, thorny tree line about 50 yards up. Ginger worked where the bird went in, circling around. She kept putting her nose up in the air and looking up, then circling around and working the ground. She came back to the earlier spot and was looking up and sniffing. After a few minutes we saw the pheasant had crashed into a tree covered in vines above us and was stuck in it about 10 feet in the air, dead. I wiggled the vines and the bird plopped down at my feet. I was very impressed that she could scent the bird up in the air.

This was the first time I really saw the "nose" in action. I guess I had earlier thought she worked the ground until she came close to a bird and then voila. I have been annoyed at times when she bolts right past an area where I think a bird could be and I try to get her back to work it. She probably goes right past it because she knows a bird isn't in there in the first place. I guess they can smell further than I thought. Anyway, it was a bit of an epiphany. Proves I should just leave the dog alone and let her hunt.\

I bought some pie dough and tomorrow will be pheasant pot pie!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Starting to understand "the nose" of a bird dog

Post by Sharon » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:09 pm

Whole books have been written on the scenting capabilities of a dog. It's a complicated business. ( air quality, wind, dryness of the ground etc. etc.etc. ) Sometimes the bird restrains its' scent even.

I'm embarrassed to say that several times after kicking the brush for 10 minutes and not producing a bird, I have called my dog off of a point , (even after a relocation), and sent him on , when the bird was there. Sometimes watched while my bracemate put up the bird. :(

I've learned to trust my dog. When it comes to birds, he knows best. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:12 pm

Sounds like a nice day Gary! How many did you end up with? We are doing Powderbourne again the day after Christmas.

I read on here somewhere to "always trust your dog".

This is so true. Margo has been on point numerous times and I said out loud "come on girl there is nothing in there". She was still locked up hard to I trampled through and sure enough, birds.

I think I have said this before but Margo sure is teaching me more than I am teaching her! :roll:

Let me know how that pot pie turns out. A couple of weeks ago I made these with phez and chukar. http://www.uplandlife.com/cooking/recipe.asp?r=61Pretty tasty!

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:41 pm

Oh, yeah, I have had those! But of course back in Texas we used a half jalapeno slice. To me there is nothing better than mesquite grilled quail with bacon and jalapeno.

I cooked the filling tonight for the pie - pheasant breast, celery, onion, potato, carrots, a little corn, in a thick broth. (I would do peas but my oldest son has almost died twice due to what we found out was a severe pea alergy - so I will ignore my english ancestory and skip the peas... sacriledge!... but I enjoy that kid). I will roll out the pie dough and bake it tomorrow, allowing the ingredients in the filling to "marry" overnight. Oh the life! Wife and daughter out of town. The boys and I haven't made a bed in two days, leave stuff in the sink, and leave clothes and shoes everywhere. Hunting this morning, kids hockey game in afternoon, watching the Devils play this evening while cooking and sippng Jack Daniels on the rocks. Life is good. We can even openly swear, as our little blonde 5 year old and redheaded boss are 2,000 miles away. Oh but we three are manly men. Vikings! Unfortunately we have to clean up by 4pm tomorrow and become gentlemen once again :(
G

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:51 pm

Guys -

I am constantly amazed at the scenting ability of dogs. To pick a few thousand molecules of scent out of a stream of air that containes billions and trillions of molecules, including all kinds of competing scents and use them to identify not only that it is a speicies of interest and not what the Master considers trash or off game, and even further, to be able to tell whether or not that particular scent came from a live bird that is still there or is just old scent or foot scent to be trailed....It boggles my mind. Plain and simple.

I have seen some things, with my own eyes that, if they were told to me, I would probably accuse the person telling it of at the least gross exaggeration if not out and out BS.

One thing I try to keep in mind is that the scenting ability of the finest gundog ain't squat when compared to the amazing feats that a bloodhound is capable of. Trackng a track that is two and even thee days old. Keeps things in perspective a bit, but no question...It is all pretty amazing stuff.

RayG

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:07 pm

Absolutely. That's why they have that wrinkled face and big floppy ears. The ears scoop the scent up and move it into the wrinkles which hold it for the nose. That's one breed that hasn't been ruined.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:56 pm

It is amazing to see a cougar track that is a few days old. It is frozen and has fresh snow in it. Walk a hound up to it and he sticks his nose in the track and just bellars like the cat just ran by.

A couple years ago I was hunting chukars and on the way back to the truck a storm started blowing in.The wind was so stiff you literally had to lean into it. Probably in the 30 m.p.h range. I had a dog go on point with the wind at its back. I was sure the birds must have been behind the dog. I walked behind the dog first and then past the dog and a single got up at 10 yrds straight down wind. If I had not seen it I would have said there is no way a dog could have smelled that bird.
Dogs are truly amazing.
Regards
Gary

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:18 pm

So how was the pot pie Gary?

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:42 pm

It was awesome. My boys loved it too! Thanks.