Cold weather care for pigeons

Nebraska

Cold weather care for pigeons

Post by Nebraska » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:53 am

It's extremely cold here right now, especially with the wind chill, and I was thinking about totally shutting up my coop. As it stands right now, I have a 10"x10" door open that leads to my screened in aviary so the birds will have have some light and can go in/out at will. Is it ok to leave this small door open all the time or should keep the coop totally boarded up while it's this cold??

jczv

Re: Cold weather care for pigeons

Post by jczv » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:08 am

Leave it open. IMO they'll do better getting some sunlight when they can. Some of my racing pigeons like to sit in the aviary if the suns out even if it's below 0. I keep my kill pigeons in 2x2 covered rabbit cages and I've had leftover birds live all winter (I think it was about 3 degrees this morning).

phillipsgsp

Post by phillipsgsp » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:47 pm

My birds have always done ok in the winter. I have a 4x8 loft and the entire south wall is open with a aviary. I have always been told to make sure they have water at their acess all the time and feed them a bit more when it is cold. Also to keep them protected from these NE north winds. I have had my loft for 4 yrs now and have not lost any birds in the winter.

Chad
"GET THE POINT" http://www.phillipsgundogs.com Family and Shorthairs, it don't get any better than that!
Phillips' Tiptoe'n Tucker MH
Phillips' Lucy in Diguise SH

solon

Post by solon » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:09 pm

I haven't seen the cold bother my pigeons at all. I used to keep a waterer on a warm plate over the winter, but I abandoned that and keep one entrance open and just let them fly out for water. I have a nearby pond with an outflow that never freezes so they can get water close to the coop. It would expose them to a bit more risk of predation, but it also exercises them and gives them a chance to get grit and forage on natural foods.

They are very hardy and raise young even in the winter. The naked babies can't be left with out a brooding adult very long or they would freeze. Both the male and female share brooding, but even so it amazes me that they can raise young in winter in Vermont.

Solon